Certified to give field sobriety test?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA
    http://www.wafb.com/story/25187276/new-roads-police-officer-may-face-dwi-charges

NEW ROADS, LA (WAFB) -
    A high-ranking police officer may face charges related to an alleged Drunk Driving crash.

Capt. Mark Munson was off duty at the time. A Pointe Coupee Sheriff's deputy responding to the accident said he found a nearly empty bottle of liquor in Munson's vehicle. The deputy said he wasn't certified to give field sobriety tests and let Munson go when his wife came to pick him up.

What certification is needed to have someone stand on one foot in front of a camera? Why didn't the officer to call in someone who was "certified"?

1911arkain

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    NOLA
    Still, you call someone in. I don't care if he's begging you to let him go. It could be my best friend, I'd still hold him until someone could determine whether or not he was drunk.

It doesn't take a genius to smell someone's breath to see if they have downed that bottle of liquor. Notice he didn't say "beer", he said liquor.

I'm sorry but this sounds like blue covering for blue. I'm thinking he might be rewarded for letting his boss go.

Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA
    What condition is the PC Sheriff's Office in if it's officers aren't certified to determine whether someone should have to submit to a breathalyzer?

I believe this is an example of "professional courtesy". Just like a few years ago when the Gonzales police chief and his buds were hauling ass through Gonzales with a marked unit chasing them (he called it in and requested assitance), the offender was let go due to the officer's discretion.

It's human nature to not want to be penalized, the brotherhood of blue has an established tradition of letting their comrades go with the expectation of being let off when they get caught. This pattern undermines the public's trust of law enforcment which hurts us all.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    A 24 hr sfst certification consisting of classroom, a test, and 16 hrs of training on live drunks.

Its not at all even close to telling someone to stand on one foot.

That sounds like it could be fun...

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    http://www.wafb.com/story/25187276/new-roads-police-officer-may-face-dwi-charges

What certification is needed to have someone stand on one foot in front of a camera? Why didn't the officer to call in someone who was "certified"?

It's reported a Trooper was on the scene or on his way and was waved off. Sounds like they didn't want him to get a DWI.

Nobody to run a test is not uncommon. I wish I had a dollar every time I have heard "see if the Troop wants a package"

Last edited:

ajt2341

Rock out w/ ur glock out!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    Even in large departments it's not uncommon to have no one on the road at the time who is SFST and Intox certified. Even when certified, with experience, lawyers still find every little thing to get cases thrown out anyway.

If he's not qualified it would have been a bad arrest. The same people that complain about this would be calling senators if it was reported that a cop made a bad arrest.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Certified or not, I know a lot of cops that send drunks home in cabs or let them call relatives just because they find the DWI arrest process and paperwork daunting.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    As I understand it , the Trooper showed up and told them he was not going to get involved . The Deputy is getting hosed on this deal . Way more to the story .

Top Bottom