Charges dropped against Baldwin

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    What, if any, are the movie industry's standards/requirements for certification as an "ARMORER"? What were this "expert's" qualifications and experience?

Wasn't this handgun the personal property of someone employed on the set of this movie? Were they too cheap to rent a prop gun from one of many available vetted vendors? I would suppose that the owner is the idiot who irresponsibly brought live ammo to the set.

I heard at least one news cast, shortly after this tragedy, alledging that members of the movie crew had been using the subject handgun, with live ammo, for recreational "plinking" at some point before the event. Why was the piece not in the armorer's custody once it was brought on set?
    I also heard that some of the movie set workers were shooting the gun. I assumed the gun belonged to the armorer. I also heard that the armorer woman was pretty green and had learned the business possibly working with her father? I’m sure nobody here knows what rules and standards the movie industry must abide by when it comes to prop guns but I remember hearing of legislation that was sparked off as a result of Brandon Lee’s death. Not sure where it ended as I’m going purely based on memory of the events at the time. I would not think using an actual firearm on a movie set would be legal, but I’m sure state laws would apply there, if not simply Darwin’s law.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I also heard that some of the movie set workers were shooting the gun. I assumed the gun belonged to the armorer. I also heard that the armorer woman was pretty green and had learned the business possibly working with her father? I’m sure nobody here knows what rules and standards the movie industry must abide by when it comes to prop guns but I remember hearing of legislation that was sparked off as a result of Brandon Lee’s death. Not sure where it ended as I’m going purely based on memory of the events at the time. I would not think using an actual firearm on a movie set would be legal, but I’m sure state laws would apply there, if not simply Darwin’s law.
    In the movie Dirty Harry there were 2 real model 29 and some props. Clint Eastwood was handed one of the 2 real model 29 by mistake. He was to toss the prop gun., but In fact he tossed the real gun. The one issued (handed to him) so one of the 2 very valuable real model 29 has scrapes on it the other does not. It was sold at auction I think. To me the beat up one is worth more, or to me it would be.

AndyG

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 3, 2019
    Lafayette, LA
    The woman shot was the cinematographer, who works with the director to get good camera angles and actually helps direct. During the moments that led up to the shooting, she was reportedly telling Baldwin where to point the gun, which was toward and just to one side of the camera. She actually directed him to point it at her. That came out very early and kept getting brushed aside.
    I don’t care for Baldwin, but I think conviction of anything related to fault in the shooting would have been unjust. People want him to be guilty but he’s not. He’s an actor working under direction. He was handed a prop and told what to do with it. Blaming him for what happened is asinine.
    ^ This. Crew members reportedly took guns from the set to plink at a nearby range days prior; the weapons weren’t properly inspected by armorer upon returning to set.

Emphasis on reportedly. Also plausible Baldwin or crew slipped a live round into battery with intent to harm but that seems infinitely less likely than the screw-up scenario above.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I happened to read a tidbit when looking at the Wiki entry about the movie "The Old Way" with Nicolas Cage:

"In October 2021, the film's crew members complained about property key assistant and armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed's handling of firearms, including an incident in which she discharged a weapon without warning and caused lead actor Nicolas Cage to walk off set.[7] Gutierrez-Reed would later work as armorer on the set of Rust, and be a principal character in the shooting incident that killed Halyna Hutchins and wounded director Joel Souza.[8]"

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    From the Rust Shooting Wiki: "Before the incident occurred, two prop guns had previously fired a total of three times unintentionally (Baldwin's stunt double had accidentally fired two blanks when he was told a prop gun was "cold", and the film's prop master shot herself in the foot with a blank round)."

Having worked on several films as a driver and armorer/armorer assistant...I'm pretty sure that my butt would have been kicked off-set and out of the industry just on the above events.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Sounds like they hired the wrong armorer. Shame that another person had to die to get her name on the radar. Hopefully they convict her of something that keeps her away from guns. Kinda proven that she is not capable of handling them properly. As far as Baldwin goes, well he should have handled the gun more carefully, prop or not, but if he was being directed to fire it a certain way and complied I really cannot see this being intentional on his part.

Top Bottom