Chip it?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    So, I'm inheriting a 2000 chevy suburban 2500 LS 4x4
    It has less than 33,000 miles on it, and is like new. So I'd be a fool if I did anything but sold my older cars and drove this thing for the next 10 years.

Buuut I'm expecting to get about 14MPG with it.
    Not being 'a car guy' I'm vaguely familure with the concept of performance chips to improve millage... Talk to me.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Purchase a performance chip then use premium fuel and drive faster and get less mpg.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Honestly, a chip isnt going to do much for it, it is a pig no matter what. You will be very lucky to get 14mpg on the highway with it too. Guessing it is a 6.0? If it is an 8.1, knock another 4 or so off that number.
    A custom tune along with exhaust and intake mods will help with the power a little (think 20-30, not the huge numbers that will be claimed), but gas mileage wont be helped noticeable by anything other than a light right foot. Also, on the 6.0, exhaust selection is a huge thing, throw out all the old thinking and get a system designed for the engine and proven to work. My brother in la learned this the hard way. Dual flowmastes and 2.5" pipes actually reduced the power it made by a noticeable amount!

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    The bigger the air intake and the bigger the exhaust pipe(not just the end, the whole thing from manifold to tip), the better your mpg will be. I've done this to every vehicle I have had except the GTi.

But yeah, re-learning to drive with a lighter right foot will be your best bet with a beast like that.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I drive my cars like a grandpa, and to quote one of the cops who pulled me over:
    My bikes like a bat outa hell.

I'm just planning on keeping this for some time, so cost effective improvements will be worth doing...

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    If you're getting 13-14 MPG, a bump of 1 or 2 MPG doesn't sound like much but is actually quite a lot.

So I think a good air filter/intake and a tune would be good as long as you don't spend too much money.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    What makes you think you need to drive a big truck everyday? You can get a little roller skate car for work and commute and then drive the 4x4 when the zombies need killing

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I drive a rollerskate and save the superduty for what it was intended for, but honestly if I didnt drive many miles, I wouldnt have a small car.
    As for cost effective improvements, to do that burb right and actually gain anything more than noise, you are looking at 1500+, so it will take a lot of miles to get that back.
    I say keep it stock and drive it like you say you do and you will be good to go.
    Just my opinion.

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    Screw the chip or any mass produced tuners. BlackBearTunes are the way to go. Also go and Join FullSizeChevy.com More information on that forum than you know what to do with. Also 6.0 or 8.1? I love my 99 Sub and the 2000 with the mod motors and better interior are even cooler to me.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I drive a rollerskate and save the superduty for what it was intended for, but honestly if I didnt drive many miles, I wouldnt have a small car.
    As for cost effective improvements, to do that burb right and actually gain anything more than noise, you are looking at 1500+, so it will take a lot of miles to get that back.
    I say keep it stock and drive it like you say you do and you will be good to go.
    Just my opinion.
    I was thinking of you when I wrote roller skate.. lol

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    What makes you think you need to drive a big truck everyday? You can get a little roller skate car for work and commute and then drive the 4x4 when the zombies need killing

I'll need to keep it (or a tow vehicle of some sort)

I'm looking at the economics of keeping another car, keeping it insured, and maintained... And with my motorcycles I don't believe it's worth doing. I use them as much as possible for fuel efficiency and fun.

If I do something else I'll likely get a Suzuki samurai and keep it at my Ozark property as a woods truck.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    Just say no to a programmer or chip. You need to look at a custom tune, and a swap to the 02 PCM.

www.blackbearperformance.com IMO.
    This. I have an '03 GMC 2500HD crew cab with the 6.0 gas engine and had a Superchips put in it until my friend took his laptop and installed an HP Tuners program on it. Big difference! I'm getting 16mpg with the 4.10 rear end on the highway where I was only getting 12 before. Also I need to mention I do have 285000 miles on it and it still burns the tires up. Only problem is if I use any fuel with less than 92 octane my valves will clatter.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    A programmer will never pay off. Most mods will never pay off on fuel mileage.

It would make a good tow rig for that Airstream though.

TowTruck

Jared
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Denham Springs
    I'm calling BS on that 16mpg but whatever.
    I have 2 suburbans both 2500. The 6.0 is 2wd and gets 12.5. Best EVER was 13.9 after a tune up and my grandpa drivin it with the AC off.
    My 4x4 has an 8.1 and it get 8-9mpg loaded or unloaded

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    A tune will not net much on your vehicle. The best thing you can do is find a station with 100% gas vs the ethanol blended. If you are set on a tune find someone with a performance shop and try for a street tune. They are typically around $350 and will be nothing more than some improved shift points, timing and fueling table changes. For GM a lot of folks use HP Tuners for the programming needs. While I have not used tuning on my blazer, my Z06 has been tuned. I tune mainly to get the car to run properly and more optimal after intake, exhaust or engine changes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom