Circle K's anti-gun policy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • biggin215

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    No Sir, I do not misunderstand the law. I deal with these laws daily all over the State.

Just as with bars, an officer is not able to carry where guns are posted as forbidden. If the officer is called there, then he/she can carry a sidearm inside.

Caddo Parish SO recently fired a deputy for going inside a bar with his sidearm without being called to the bar.

If an officer is making a random check for security, then carrying a firearm is tolerated.

Now for the real issue: There is no laws that forbid a person from carrying a gun into a convenience store but the store can forbid weapons, such as Circle K has done nationwide. Lowe's Building Materials also did this years ago but has since reversed their position on guns. If one goes inside a store where guns are forbidden, then they can ask you to leave. Yet cou cannot be charged with carrying a weapon inside the store. If you refuse to leave, then you can be charged with Entering & Remaining, among other possible charges.

A POST certified law enforcement officer does not have any more rights than a civilian citizen. He has powers of arrest but is limited to where he can go without being called there.

Would Circle K ask the officer to leave their store? No, but the stores are posted restricting guns and the officer could be asked to leave.

I work with these laws, courts, attorneys, law enforcement agencies and politicians all day long. seven days a week and have tangled with this issue before.

So what about cops on LSU campus or any school campus for that matter?

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    Screw Circle K

calvin.jpg
    Circle_K.gif

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    I gotta run with oldman45 on this here Circle K thing.

And I gotta add that the more you serve the public, the more your business is a public accommodation under the Civil Rights Act of 1965 and the less you may restrict the rights of your clientele. A fundamental right such as to carry a handgun would be such a right if push came to shove. If you don't like it, sell your business or close the doors, and get the f**k out of the United States of America. Maybe you'll like doing business better under Sharia law.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I gotta run with oldman45 on this here Circle K thing.

And I gotta add that the more you serve the public, the more your business is a public accommodation under the Civil Rights Act of 1965 and the less you may restrict the rights of your clientele. A fundamental right such as to carry a handgun would be such a right if push came to shove. If you don't like it, sell your business or close the doors, and get the f**k out of the United States of America. Maybe you'll like doing business better under Sharia law.

Absolutely correct...NO one has the right to suspend my right to defend my self in a place, publicly or privately owned , if it's open to the public . The limp wrist hand wringer's who dreamed up the restrictions should be keelhauled behind a Harley:rockon:

rebelray84

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Amite,LA
    Now for the real issue: There is no laws that forbid a person from carrying a gun into a convenience store but the store can forbid weapons, such as Circle K has done nationwide. Lowe's Building Materials also did this years ago but has since reversed their position on guns. If one goes inside a store where guns are forbidden, then they can ask you to leave. Yet cou cannot be charged with carrying a weapon inside the store. If you refuse to leave, then you can be charged with Entering & Remaining, among other possible charges.

THAT is 100% correct and the very point I was making in the OTHER circle K thread.This "No Guns" sign,in Louisiana anyway,is a store rule not a law!Can't arrest someone for breaking a rule!BTW in Louisiana the charge for not leaving after being told to do so would be "Remaining After Being Forbidden" La R.S. 14:63.3

A POST certified law enforcement officer does not have any more rights than a civilian citizen. He has powers of arrest but is limited to where he can go without being called there.

Now that is not exactly true.If a police officer actually sees a crime being committed or there is exigent circumstances he can go just about anywhere he needs to,including entering a private residence,without being called there.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    No its the one by carroll rd. I actually went there again today. There is a whole list from .380 to .40. I dont understand how they can be so antigun but then turn around and sell ammo to the public???:dunno:

My guess would be profit

Profit with better insurance rate for no weapons
    Profit by sellin ammo

Their anti stance may be real...I don't know, but I'm reasonably certain they are in favor of profit

rebelray84

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Amite,LA
    BTW: Police officers getting a cup of coffee or cigarettes there are breaking a law by carrying their guns inside. The can only legally do so when called there by dispatch.

And what LAW would that police officer be breaking?

The "no guns in bar rooms" is specifically spelled out in Lousiana's criminal statutes and includes everyone,cops too.Circle K RULES don't count.

So again,please tell me,what law would a police officer stopping in at a circle k for coffee be breaking?

rebelray84

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Amite,LA
    No Sir, I do not misunderstand the law. I deal with these laws daily all over the State.

Just as with bars, an officer is not able to carry where guns are posted as forbidden. If the officer is called there, then he/she can carry a sidearm inside.

Caddo Parish SO recently fired a deputy for going inside a bar with his sidearm without being called to the bar.

If an officer is making a random check for security, then carrying a firearm is tolerated.

Would Circle K ask the officer to leave their store? No, but the stores are posted restricting guns and the officer could be asked to leave.

I work with these laws, courts, attorneys, law enforcement agencies and politicians all day long. seven days a week and have tangled with this issue before.

What no answers to my questions about all the BS contained in the above post?You make outrageous statements and got jack to back it up?Still googling in hopes of discovering something?

Me thinks oldman45 is one or both of these \/ \/

12secHemi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Alexandria, LA
    Do they really think that armed robbers will obey their little sign ?

leVieux

Bingo. I feel I am ethically above any crook's "rights". We have a clean background, attended the classes, got the training to have the right to carry. My life won't be ended in circumstances for fear of a technicality in the law. To be caught is to be seen, I won't be made out.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    What no answers to my questions about all the BS contained in the above post?You make outrageous statements and got jack to back it up?Still googling in hopes of discovering something?

So...is there a law saying off duty or not directly sent cops are not allowed to carry in bars ??

I always thought ( no back up ) that cops could carry anywhere any time..am I wrong ??

rebelray84

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Amite,LA
    So...is there a law saying off duty or not directly sent cops are not allowed to carry in bars ??

I always thought ( no back up ) that cops could carry anywhere any time..am I wrong ??

Police cannot carry a gun into a bar room while off duty but ONLY off duty.A police officer on duty can whether he is called there or not.

Now I'd really like to hear the story of this caddo parish deputy being fired.Was he on or off duty?What was he doing in the bar? Was he on duty and just in there hanging out? Was off and got drunk and did something stupid?What exactly was he fired for?

rebelray84

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Amite,LA
    La. R.S. 14:95.5. Possession of firearm on premises of alcoholic beverage outlet

A. No person shall intentionally possess a firearm while on the premises of an alcoholic beverage outlet.

B. "Alcoholic beverage outlet" as used herein means any commercial establishment in which alcoholic beverages of either high or low alcoholic content are sold in individual servings for consumption on the premises, whether or not such sales are a primary or incidental purpose of the business of the establishment.

C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to the owner or lessee of an alcoholic beverage outlet, or to an employee of such owner or lessee, or to a law enforcement officer or other person vested with law enforcement authority acting in the performance of his official duties.

D. Whoever violates the provisions of this Section shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

Acts 1985, No. 765, §1.

This means NO one except the owner or employee of the bar or an ON DUTY peace officer can be anywhere on the property,including the parking lot,with a gun.

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA

Just what of the post do you not understand? I will be glad to explain or backup whatever you do not understand. I think it is all very simple.

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    La. R.S. 14:95.5. Possession of firearm on premises of alcoholic beverage outlet

A. No person shall intentionally possess a firearm while on the premises of an alcoholic beverage outlet.

B. "Alcoholic beverage outlet" as used herein means any commercial establishment in which alcoholic beverages of either high or low alcoholic content are sold in individual servings for consumption on the premises, whether or not such sales are a primary or incidental purpose of the business of the establishment.

C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to the owner or lessee of an alcoholic beverage outlet, or to an employee of such owner or lessee, or to a law enforcement officer or other person vested with law enforcement authority acting in the performance of his official duties.

D. Whoever violates the provisions of this Section shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

Acts 1985, No. 765, §1.

This means NO one except the owner or employee of the bar or an ON DUTY peace officer can be anywhere on the property,including the parking lot,with a gun.

Paragraph C is the issue. A law enforcement officer can only enter while armed when in the performance of his official duties. No bar wants an officer in the place since it makes the drinkers uncomfortable.

I do not know the outcome of if it has gone to trial as yet but a LEO and his agency was sued a couple years ago due to his parking down the street from a bar and then pulling those over that left the bar. An officer inside a bar on his own is not going to be thought well of.

Now there is a grey area as well. The CCW laws say "•Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises."

So a permittee could not go armed into the portion of a restaurant considered as the "bar." The permittee is allowed to be in a restaurant that has a bar as long as they remain out of the bar. I frequently eat at Logans or Outback but do not sit in the bar area.

Top Bottom