Concealed carry at the airport in NOLA??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bvfd920

Lost and confused....
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I am heading to the NOLA airport soon to go pick my wife up from her trip. I like to be polite and nice and go park the car, then head inside to meet her at the end of the concourse so I can carry her bags for her. I have always left my firearm in my car in the parking garage, but after the most recent round of terrorists acts (yes...they were F#@$@@#$ terrorists acts!!!) I have been carrying everyday no matter where I am going.

Now, I just want to find out if it is truly legal to carry in the airport or not. I am not boarding a plane and not going through security. I have never noticed signs saying no firearms allowed except for the ones that tell you to check them in at the desk if you are travelling with them. Anyone actually know if it is legal or not? Don't want to end up in airport jail or where ever it is they take people on the "list".

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    It should be legal to carry anywhere in airports except the embark/debark area where only passengers are permitted, or where otherwise prohibited by law.

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Prohibited Locations
    R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) states that no concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:
    A law enforcement office, station, or building;
    A detention facility, prison, or jail;
    A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom;
    A polling place;
    A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;
    The state capitol building;
    Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage;
    Any church, synagogue, mosque or similar place of worship;
    A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity;
    Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.
    Any school "firearm free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.
    The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

Above is copied from the LSP website.

JR1572

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    You are legal, but this is definitely one of those areas where other people, IE LEO, not fully knowing the law may result in a little head ache on your part.

let's face it, legal or not, guns in airports are bad juju for the ill-informed.

Make sure you have a quality holster, and a CHp, unless you really want a lesson in orificial anatomy. ;)

bvfd920

Lost and confused....
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    How about calling the airport police and ask one of them?

JR1572

Didn't actually think about that, but would they know? I have found many LEO or wannabe LEO that don't know the laws themselves. Not knocking any of our LEO's out there, but many of them are ignorant when it comes to open/concealed carry laws.

I might try to call them just for the hell of it though and see what the response is...

bvfd920

Lost and confused....
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Prohibited Locations
    R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) states that no concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:
    A law enforcement office, station, or building;
    A detention facility, prison, or jail;
    A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom;
    A polling place;
    A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;
    The state capitol building;
    Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage;
    Any church, synagogue, mosque or similar place of worship;
    A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity;
    Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.
    Any school "firearm free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.
    The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

Above is copied from the LSP website.

JR1572

So then what is federal law?

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    You are legal, but this is definitely one of those areas where other people, IE LEO, not fully knowing the law may result in a little head ache on your part.

let's face it, legal or not, guns in airports are bad juju for the ill-informed.

Make sure you have a quality holster, and a CHp, unless you really want a lesson in orificial anatomy. ;)

+1

JR1572

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Didn't actually think about that, but would they know? I have found many LEO or wannabe LEO that don't know the laws themselves. Not knocking any of our LEO's out there, but many of them are ignorant when it comes to open/concealed carry laws.

I might try to call them just for the hell of it though and see what the response is...

I bet they tell you NO.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    That would be the federal law that authorizes the FFA and TSA security regulations which set the parameters of the security area, IE the baggage and individual screening checkpoint. Nothing past that line.

Hey I used to be in the Future Farmers of America (FFA) and I say it's ok with me. :D

bvfd920

Lost and confused....
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Holy crap!!! I called, took me a while to find someone that was willing to discuss the subject with me, but someone at the TSA confirmed that it is 100% legal to carry a concealed weapon into the terminal building. She just wanted to make sure that I knew that I could not enter the concourses past the security check points with it which I told her I understood and was not flying so it wouldn't be a problem.

So question answered. +1 to the nice lady at the TSA who spoke with me to make sure I understood what I could and could not do. Was expecting a negative outcome from the phone call....guess I am too pessimistic....

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Holy crap!!! I called, took me a while to find someone that was willing to discuss the subject with me, but someone at the TSA confirmed that it is 100% legal to carry a concealed weapon into the terminal building. She just wanted to make sure that I knew that I could not enter the concourses past the security check points with it which I told her I understood and was not flying so it wouldn't be a problem.

So question answered. +1 to the nice lady at the TSA who spoke with me to make sure I understood what I could and could not do. Was expecting a negative outcome from the phone call....guess I am too pessimistic....

Damn I would have bet they were going to tell you no, even with it being legal.

bvfd920

Lost and confused....
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Open carry is completely legal as well-so long as it's outside of the secured areas.

Dirty

But this day in age, not sure I would want to try walking into the airport with my Glock on my side and no badge...I would rather conceal it and let everyone try to guess who might or might not have a gun.

A few years ago I walked from my car to my mailbox, about 50-60 feet, and caught the attention of a neighbor while I had a gun on my belt in an open holster, he freaked out and started asking if I had a badge to go with it. Tried to explain to him that it was legal, but now he stays on his side of the street and just politely waves. Maybe that is better anyway....

Top Bottom