Concealed carry at the airport in NOLA??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Cite: as in, show us where you read that.
    My original CCW instructor told us that also. I've been unable to find anywhere where CCW holders cannot OC.

I wouldn't OC at an airport. Security is probably jumpy and I don't like the taste of concrete! Watching my blood pool on it is even worse! And no, the fact that my wife will be rich after my demise does not make me feel any more willing to take the chance!

Witiku

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2006
    I've carried at BTR and MSY. This is not an issue unless you try to go through security with your gun. Do Not Go There!

I'd say you would be looked at rather closely for OC but CCW, not if your doing it right. :p

Last edited:

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    O I don't know that was my understanding. That's the "I thought" about it. I would not open carry at the airport because you would be on the news as Armed gunman killed at N.O. airport:ugh:

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    All of the airport should be a gun free zone IMO

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AhgzcioPet8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AhgzcioPet8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Witiku

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2006
    I thought LA was a state that if you have the right to conceal you have to. Open carry not an option if you have a CCDW

A) OC is protected by the LA Constitution:

Acts 1997, No. 1492, §1, approved Oct. 3, 1998, eff. Nov. 5, 1998.
    Section 11
    Right to Keep and Bear Arms

The right of each citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be abridged, but this provision shall not prevent the passage of laws to prohibit the carrying of weapons concealed on the person.

B) You have a CCW permit;

Both are legal activities so transitioning from one to the other cannot be illegal I would suspect.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Trust me I know, never cared so much as to look it up because I don't OC anyway.

Don't start until you know what you are doing.

I'm going back to bed for a bit. I have a Open Carry meetup at brunch today and am picking up my LOCAL t-shirt while I'm there. I want to be well rested. Nite.

bvfd920

Lost and confused....
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Open carry is not illegal, but it is restricted to carrying just like the CCW is. No Class A liquor license establishments, no police stations, schools, etc...

There is actually a letter posted on the www.opencarry.org website which unfortunately my work server is blocking me from right now, but the letter is from the LA State AG and it specifies that the state recognizes no difference between open carry and concealed carry. It also states that Open carry is specifically legal anywhere concealed carry is legal. That being said, you have to be extremely careful open carryign because you can find yourself within a school zone for example and not know it if the school happens to be 1 block from the main highway you are on. Then you fall within the 1,000' of a school zone law and land yourself in jail for openely possesing a gun in the zone. Would be a hard battle to win if you got busted like that.

The airport is legal, but ill-informed LEO/TSA/sheep will freak out with a citien legally carrying openly in a place like that. Better to conceal and not be the first obvious guy to be shot if SHTF...concealed, you look like dozens of other bystanders until the time comes to act. Openly carrying could make you the first target. I wish it didn't because concealing a G19 in my pants starts to hurt my back after 12 hours or so....would be nice to open carry on a regular basis...

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    I wish it didn't because concealing a G19 in my pants starts to hurt my back after 12 hours or so....would be nice to open carry on a regular basis...

Sounds like you need to rethink your attire. With the right clothes you could carry OWB just like you would while OC.

bvfd920

Lost and confused....
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sounds like you need to rethink your attire. With the right clothes you could carry OWB just like you would while OC.

Have had issues finding the right OWB holster, but my IWB holster from Threat Solutions hides beautifully. Ordered some from Safariland because I had a gift certificate, but don't like the way the OWB holster I got fits the G19. Does not sit fully into the holster and leaves a gap open for a finger to get in the trigger guard. Not that I plan on sticking my finger in there, but I like that added bit of security. The gun also doesn't draw easily from the holster even with a stiff belt like the Wilderness Instructors belt. Maybe the leather just isn't broken in yet...

Sticking with my IWB until I find a holster/attire combo I like. Will just have to deal with the sore lower back....

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have to drop off a van-load of people at Moisant/MSY/Louis Armstrong at 4am. If you don't see anything in the news, you'll have your answer.

I suppose if you DO see something on the news you'll have an answer as well, but it would likely end with me getting a motorcycle with MSY on it. ;)

bvfd920

Lost and confused....
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Lets hope it doesn't get to that! :D

Will be making my rounds through there in a few days. Like I said earlier, my IWB holster hides my 19 very well...should not be a problem, but I wanted to make sure I was legal just to reduce the stress factor of worrying if I am printing or not. Don't like people spotting me....

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Arrived at airport at 0430. Unloaded passengers - a group of teens from my church's youth group - and walked them in to the Continental ticket counter. Left them there and walked back out. XD on hip the whole way. No funny looks from people at the door.

Biggest hassle was being blocked in by taxicabs when I tried to leave the ramp.

Of course, within an hour, the nation's Air Traffic System was down, but that's not MY fault.

Top Bottom