Concealed Handgun Permit question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    So I was reasearching the question about carrying in a boat when I came across the LA permit application. I have an FL permit, but I would have gotten an LA one if this is true:

1) To obtain a CHL in LA, I have to show my DD-214 with pistol training. That's not a problem as I have it, but alot of service members don't have that opportunity. I note in the requirements for the CHL that I can meet one of the handgun permit requirements by having a:

(e) Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class approved by the Department of Public Safety and Corrections.

That costs money. It's always good to hone up on the laws and skills so I'll always recommend to take the appropriate handgun course; however, if you take the hunting course, is that an approved firearms training or safety course? If so, then military members would be exempt from that:

§59.699.5. Firearm and hunter education requirement

A. No person shall hunt with a firearm unless that person has first been issued a certificate of satisfactory completion of a firearm and hunter education course taught or approved by the department, or possesses a valid hunting license issued by the department.

59.699.6. Firearm and hunter education exemption

The provisions of R.S. 56:699.1, 699.2, and 699.5 shall not apply to any active or veteran member of the United States armed services or to any POST-certified law enforcement officer.

Just curious as this may be helpful to some members who want a permit, shoot alot and study up on the carry laws. I agree that it is no substitute for the class to learn stuff; but heck, alot of us got our CHL from FL and didn't go through all that rigamarole. Thoughts?

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    (e) Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class approved by the Department of Public Safety and Corrections.
    Department of Wildlife and Fisheries is not the same as Department of Public Safety and Corrections.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    It's always good to hone up on the laws and skills so I'll always recommend to take the appropriate handgun course; however, if you take the hunting course, is that an approved firearms training or safety course? If so, then military members would be exempt from that:

§59.699.5. Firearm and hunter education requirement

A. No person shall hunt with a firearm unless that person has first been issued a certificate of satisfactory completion of a firearm and hunter education course taught or approved by the department, or possesses a valid hunting license issued by the department.

59.699.6. Firearm and hunter education exemption

The provisions of R.S. 56:699.1, 699.2, and 699.5 shall not apply to any active or veteran member of the United States armed services or to any POST-certified law enforcement officer.

Just curious as this may be helpful to some members who want a permit, shoot alot and study up on the carry laws. I agree that it is no substitute for the class to learn stuff; but heck, alot of us got our CHL from FL and didn't go through all that rigamarole. Thoughts?

1. All of the Revised Statutes you refer to to which you refer (56:699.1 through 699.5) pertain to hunting with a firearm. (Edited to avoid the wrath of Pangris).
    2. You are correct in saying that people should take a handgun course. IMNSHO reading the statutes is a poor substitute for taking a good class.

Of course, many (if not most) of my students may vociferously disagree with my opinion.

I also have a Florida non-res permit........in addition to my Lousiana permit. At the time I got my Florida permit there was a significant difference in the number of states that had signed reciprocity agreements with LA and FL. This is no longer the case - there are now only a few minor differences.

But lots of people still seek out the FL permit just to avoid taking a class. I am always unsure of how one should refer to this group of people ............I am never able to decide between "moron" and "imbecile."

Last edited:

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    1. All of the Revised Statutes you refer to to which you refer (56:699.1 through 699.5) pertain to hunting with a firearm. (Edited to avoid the wrath of Pangris).

Correct (referring to el Wrath de la Pangris...lol). Oh, and yes it is a hunting course, but I'm curious, if stated above, the hunting course also approved by DPS. Only curious.

2. You are correct in saying that people should take a handgun course. IMNSHO reading the statutes is a poor substitute for taking a good class.

I can't re-state that enough. You can never have too much (good) info. There is always something new out there and no one should ever assume they know it all.

Of course, many (if not most) of my students may vociferously disagree with my opinion.

Ahh, the English language...lol

I also have a Florida non-res permit........in addition to my Lousiana permit. At the time I got my Florida permit there was a significant difference in the number of states that had signed reciprocity agreements with LA and FL. This is no longer the case - there are now only a few minor differences.

I obtained my FL CHL due to the insane backlog and time to acquire an LA CHL after Katrina. I was informed it would take me 6 months to get it!

But lots of people still seek out the FL permit just to avoid taking a class. I am always unsure of how one should refer to this group of people ............I am never able to decide between "moron" and "imbecile."

Or a moriimbecile? Is that a word?

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    Also a little piece of information for you fella's that might be interested. I talked to a representative at the Concealed Handgun Permit Office today while inquiring about my permit. I was calling to see how long it would take since my original fingerprint card was rejected and she told me thirty to forty-five days from the time that the new card was received. When I asked why, she said because every state police fingerprint card that is filled out for any reason in Louisiana has to go through the fingerprint office for processing. She then told me that the actual permit application process takes less than a week to complete and the rest of the time is spent waiting on confirmation from the fingerprint folks that the card is legible... So, if you are waiting on your permit... blame it on the fingerprint guys... lol

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Most of my students report getting their permits within 3 to 4 weeks of submitting their applications (assuming their application is in order).

I always recommend (a) get all the forms filled out and notarized), (b) get fingerprinted at State Police HQ, and then (c) turn in your packet while you are there.

One of the staff from the Concealed Handgun Permit unit will normally come down to the lobby and review your application and let you know immediately if there are any deficiencies.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Most of my students report getting their permits within 3 to 4 weeks of submitting their applications (assuming their application is in order).

I always recommend (a) get all the forms filled out and notarized), (b) get fingerprinted at State Police HQ, and then (c) turn in your packet while you are there.

One of the staff from the Concealed Handgun Permit unit will normally come down to the lobby and review your application and let you know immediately if there are any deficiencies.
    I experienced about that turn around time for my renewal... guess renewal doesn't cut any time vs. new, and I didn't even have to wait on the fingerprint gods approval being that I was a renewal :rofl:

My first application I had to search down a notary, find a passport photo place that would do it correctly etc. When it came time for fingerprints I went to HQ and they did them there (old fashioned way then), I asked politely and the lady behind the counter was more than happy to do a "quick review" to make sure I didn't miss anything. Second go around the facility that I took my renewal class at offered passport photos and notary services after the class.... I jumped at that opportunity for an additional $10. I again turned the packet in personally to HQ, it saved postage and time going to the post office and gave me an opportunity to once again request that they review my packet before I left.

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana

That is a very good tip but not all of us can take a day off of work to drive up to BR to get that done face to face.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I sent my packet in sometime in April. It was 1 week shy of 2 Months before I received my permit. My dad also sent his in last week of May. As of yet, he has not received it.

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    1) To obtain a CHL in LA, I have to show my DD-214 with pistol training. That's not a problem as I have it, but alot of service members don't have that opportunity. I note in the requirements for the CHL that I can meet one of the handgun permit requirements by having a:

That costs money. It's always good to hone up on the laws and skills so I'll always recommend to take the appropriate handgun course; however, if you take the hunting course, is that an approved firearms training or safety course?

As previously posted, Wildlife & Fisheries is a WHOLE different department in and of itself. I for one, obtained my "orange card" when I was 12 years old. I do not remember the instructors reviewing handgun safety, just shotgun & rifles. As many of you know, the Cardinal Rules are the same, however, there are paramount differences in carrying & using shotguns/rifles & handguns. When I went to my CC course, I learned many new things. :)

I agree, nothing like a good course &/or refresher.

BTW, I had to wait almost 3 months...

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    As previously posted, Wildlife & Fisheries is a WHOLE different department in and of itself. I for one, obtained my "orange card" when I was 12 years old. I do not remember the instructors reviewing handgun safety, just shotgun & rifles. As many of you know, the Cardinal Rules are the same, however, there are paramount differences in carrying & using shotguns/rifles & handguns. When I went to my CC course, I learned many new things. :)

I agree, nothing like a good course &/or refresher.

BTW, I had to wait almost 3 months...

I realize that it is a different department; however, what I was talking about was that the course only needs to be recognized by the DPS. My DD-214 that shows small arms training is a whole different government entity, but it is approved by the DPS as being sufficient to obtain a CHL. That is why I'm curious if it is recognized. It need not be a part of DPS to be recognized, it only needs to have certain criteria by the DPS to be approved. HTH

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I realize that it is a different department; however, what I was talking about was that the course only needs to be recognized by the DPS. My DD-214 that shows small arms training is a whole different government entity, but it is approved by the DPS as being sufficient to obtain a CHL. That is why I'm curious if it is recognized. It need not be a part of DPS to be recognized, it only needs to have certain criteria by the DPS to be approved. HTH

If someone has it and they recognize it, then that is awesome. I remember it being a pretty detailed course back in the day, but no pistol training. I am not sure what they consist of these days. They might include handgun carry & safety due to the increase in hunters carrying pistols for protection against coyotes, bears and what ever else might attack them from the tree stand to the truck.

I think that if some one has already obtained a CC license in another state (that observe our permit-and if I recall, we are the highest on the list), the DPS realize that you already went through the training, so to have to retake the course to teach basics concerning concealed carry would be looked upon as "they just want more money" thing geared towards DPS, however the Safety & Hunting will bring money into our WL&F community to rebuild the wetlands....and of course, every responsible CC/Gun owner HAS to have at least one shotgun for HD! ;) :D :cool:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    My DD-214 doesn't say anything about pistols. :confused: But I used it. They might have changed something since I got my permit. I was about the 1400 person in the state to get one.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I was curious about the boat issue also...

I thought the app had to be mailed in, and could not be delivered in person (so that they could tack on the mail fraud charge if you lied).

The comment about the English language started me wondering (especially after learning yesterday that my usual gas station had been bought by people that do not speak english...). Does someone teach the class in Spanish yet? Is the CCW app available in Spanish yet?

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Applications can definitely be hand delivered to the Baton Rouge HQ. Not sure about just dropping it off at a Troop HQ - kinda doubt they will touch it. (BTW, those who don't have time to drop theirs off at the Baton Rouge HQ should just relocate to BR. Then it will take far less time to drive over there.)

As far as the Hunter Safety course - I would be willing to bet a lot of $$ that DPS won't accept it. But then again, I've lost a lot of bets in my life. I would suggest just calling them and asking - they are generally very helpful (225-925-GUNS)

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    BTW, those who don't have time to drop theirs off at the Baton Rouge HQ should just relocate to BR. Then it will take far less time to drive over there.)
    True, but it would take far longer to get anywhere else. I'd probably get stuck in traffic backing out my driveway!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom