Concealed Handgun Permit question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    My application went in the beginning of May, too, and I have yet to receive mine, either. However, I did get a fingerprint card in the mail about 3 weeks ago. Sent it back in and called a week and a half later to check on it. She told me to call back later because she had a stack of mail that accumulated from the last 2 weeks that she had to go through. WTF are they doing over there.

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    WTF are they doing over there.

Working hard. How dare you question the infallible Louisiana government employee...lol

When I got my adjuster license, it was so disorganized. You'd call one day and get one answer, and then the next day get a wrong one. Then the supervisor's answer wouldn't match what the new law said...wonderful.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I would imagine those who do not approve of a civilian carrying concealed is going to take as long as possible to get them out the door. Those that approve of it probably send them through fast.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    If you want a speedy card, I suggest going to the LSP HQ to have your prints done on their AFIS machine. It cost like 10 bucks.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I would imagine those who do not approve of a civilian carrying concealed is going to take as long as possible to get them out the door. Those that approve of it probably send them through fast.

I have found all of them to be good people. Some faces change from time to time, and occasionally they are misinformed, but all seem to work very hard at issuing permits in timely manner.

As I said before, my students routinely report getting their permits within 3 to 4 weeks of applying. That said, virtually all of them follow my recommendation (and that of Narco) ....... they get printed at LSP HQ and then drop off their application while they're there.

I'm fairly certain I have violated an immutable law of the internet by using "their, they're and there" in the preceding sentence. Maybe Mr. Grammar can confirm this.

Witness

>Glock
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    baton rouge
    i was told 5 weeks is about average. average being the key word there. mine took 5 weeks almost to the day. and then two more weeks from the issue date, untill i recieved it in the mail. that makes it 7 weeks total. my dads took less than 4 weeks total. a friend of mine had his take almost a full 12 weeks from the time he turned it in to the time it showed up in the mail box.

i'm not sure who is to blame when it comes to turn around time. im sure if it was up to the employees they would print one for you on the spot. i dont understand how a gun store can make a phone call and do a back ground check in 2min, but it takes the state a month or better.

my only guess that it is kind of like the NFA tax stamps, its just a way to make it so frustrating that nobody wants to mess with it.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    I forgot it helps if you use the pdf file from the lsp site and have the application typed. Can you imagine someone trying to read your hand writing.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    The NUMBER ONE cause of a delayed permit is shitty fingerprints. Dawg has mentioned this numerous times; if you let good old Billy-Bob at your local sheriff's office, etc., roll your prints, the odds are better than half that he will screw it up. The FBI is damned picky about print ID; if there is ANY smudging, etc., they will kick the card back.

Which means that the entire application has to be gathered up and mailed back to the applicant. They spend much of their time doing that, between bad print cards and dipshits who cannot comprehend simple written instructions.

My dads finger print card was just denied. They sent a letter imforming him of that and a new card in the mail. They kept his application, all he has to do is resubmit the card. We got fingerprinted by the same person. I guess they messed his up, but not mine.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I'm about to send my app off in the mail. So we'll have another timeframe to compare with. I'll mail it with my electronic print card taken by JPSO, not LSP. FWIW, the prints look superb to me. Not one smudge.

Dave

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    BION, some people have weak fingerprints (indistinct ridges and swirls)- usually from years of handling acids or chemicals. In those cases none of the methods (machines or manual) will yield good prints.

LSP fingerprint technicians at HQ will make a note on your card that says "best prints attained" (or something like that). You'll then have far less chance of receiving a request for new prints.

nikolai

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Well all this talk about fingerprints has prompted me to add my 2 cents. My dad recently finished a few years of kemotherapy about a year ago. To this day his fingertips are nearly smooth....harldy any prints at all. He was able to get his CCW earlier this year on the first try. I think it just depends on the person that's reviewing the application on that particular day.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    I just did my cards for my NFA app.
    I had them rolled by one of the print people at the crime lab.
    I also sent in an extra set just in case we smudged one.

That's my suggestion, send in an extra set of cards.

Too bad it doesn't matter to the FBI if you prints are already on file with them. :confused:

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Dave, JPSO has a Live-Scan AFIS machine. You'll be fine.

The problem comes in when the prints are "inked" the old-fashioned way. There is an art to that, and most folks doing it don't have a clue. Not their fault, really; it just takes LOTS of practice and having been shown the proper technique.

Yep, that's what they had. Pretty cool machine. I don't see how ink prints could even be compared to that baby! That thing picked up scars on my fingertips that even I forgot I had!

Dave

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    So would JPSO do prints for me if I live in New Orleans? I've been told NOPD won't do prints for license apps.

If I remember correctly, they will NOT. The only way they will is if you need them for a job that is located in JP. Sorry. IIRC, the LSP station at Williams/I10 will print anybody.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom