Cop found guilty of felonious assault w/ a firearm during traffic stop

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    For you to intimate you don't understand what I mean rings hollow upon my ears. But, because the possibility exists that you are sincere, here are some examples of what I was referencing when I wrote "dancing on the head of a pin."

This particular video is, as I mentioned earlier, astonishingly unambiguous to anyone who views it without prejudice. And while it may not tell the whole story, the part of the story it does tell is presented in heartbreaking clarity. And that part is sufficient for judgment as to the righteousness of the officers actions. Besides, nothing short of the voice of God ever tells the whole story, so that argument doesn't convince.

I might add here that imminent threat is a new term introduced by yourself at this juncture in the conversation. It is right along in here that your arguments begin to take on a casuistic flavor. This impression only becomes stronger in subsequent posts.

Please.

This is my humble attempt to enlighten as to how I arrived at my opinion. As for the second sentence, again, please. Willful misunderstanding does not become one of your stature. I find myself in the unexpected position of being embarrassed for you.

By this point I am so tired of the casuistic nature of your arguments I just want to point out again that the video is unambiguous and that wherever the line may be that officer didn't see anyone cross it.

Thank you for the opportunity to express my feelings and thoughts on this issue. Catharsis is a good thing.

Lot's of big words their buddy. Whatever. :rolleyes:

I asked someone else a question. My intent was obviously lost on you.

My question TO RADNEY stands....

What is your definition of the difference between a potential threat and a confirmed threat? How does one know when they are facing a confirmed threat?

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Here's my take on potential and confirmed
    Guy whips out his cell phone in poor lighting = potential threat. He definitely looks threatening with his sudden movements and a dark object in his hand, and if the cops wait to find out, as far as they know, one of them could be dead.

Guy whips out a pistol in bright sun shine = confirmed threat. He has a gun. Anyone can see that. He's definitely a threat.

I could be wrong, but that's how I interpret the 2 terms.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    You guys keep going back and forth about if he was or was not a threat. Until the point of the shot, it was unknown. I agree that the cop should have apologized for his mistake and I would NOT believe him if he told me to my face that he actually thought his life was in danger.

The thing to remember as far as the Cop is concerned is this;

-The Two bikers took off at a HIGH rate of speed.- Dangerous/Illegal
    -While one drives all over the road and almost wrecks the other stops.
    The Officer draws his gun
    (By caution b/c of what they just did, they could be gang members, Drug Runners, they could have just decided, Were not going to run, were going to blast these cops, Who knows!? certainly NOT the Cops - Not Mind readers, they are ACTION readers)
    So the Officer Draws his gun I.C.E and MUST ASSUME that UNTIL he see's BOTH HANDS EMPTY & until the suspect is under FULL CONTROL that the biker closest to him COULD BE a threat.

The suspect was shot b/c of lack of training/experience or rather respectfully known as ignorance on BOTH parts!
    Cop Dumb Move - Pulling the trigger.
    Suspect Dumb Move - Running in the first place. (You don't see people get shot at NORMAL Traffic Stops do you?) b/c you've DONE NOTHING to escalate the situation. Not so here, these two bikers escalated the situation FIRST! Then one of them payed for such an action VERY dearly. Don't think for a second he's not thinking now, "WHAT IF I had just stayed STILL at the STOP sign when I KNEW the COP was behind us about to pull us over, What If I had NOT sped off???"

However, I believe the cop was justified to have his weapon drawn indeed, or AT LEAST the tazer. Maybe alert to the dirt and NOT AT HIS BACK but that's training for ya.

In the End, ‘Bad Shoot’ but could have been avoided by more than just the officers trigger finger.

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    Lot's of big words their buddy. Whatever. :rolleyes:

I asked someone else a question. My intent was obviously lost on you.

My question TO RADNEY stands....

What is your definition of the difference between a potential threat and a confirmed threat? How does one know when they are facing a confirmed threat?

One is confirmed! You don't know what that word means?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    But thats kinda like asking what you definition of "is" is. :mamoru: There is an clear difference between potential and confirmed threat.

One is confirmed! You don't know what that word means?

It s actually a very simple question. So much so that I do not understand why you keep avoiding it.

AT what point does a potential threat become confirmed?

What is your personal line in the sand in most situations?

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Plus, we still do not know if it was a bad conscious decision to shoot or an unintentional (negligent) discharge under stress.

Either way the guy is an unprofessional idiot who's going to jail, where he belongs. His actions ruined someone's life.

explain at what point in a lethal force encounter an individual or his.her actions turn from potential to confirmed.

This seems pretty obvious... The guy on the bike in the video is a perfect example of a POTENTIAL threat for the duration of the clip. IF you would have seen a gun in his hand in that clip, then he would have been a CONFIRMED threat. :rolleyes:

No offense, bro... but you're worse than my wife with all that nitpicking! :eek3: I didn't know it was possible until now.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Either way the guy is an unprofessional idiot who's going to jail, where he belongs. His actions ruined someone's life.

This seems pretty obvious... The guy on the bike in the video is a perfect example of a POTENTIAL threat for the duration of the clip. IF you would have seen a gun in his hand in that clip, then he would have been a CONFIRMED threat. :rolleyes:

No offense, bro... but you're worse than my wife with all that nitpicking! :eek3: I didn't know it was possible until now.

Whatever. I was not talking to you. i don't care what you think about it. i was asking a specific person who threw something out there. Now I would like him to explain his viewpoint on something.

i am pretty sure I have enough knowledge and experience of my own on this on particular point, but thanks for breaking it down for me.

learn to read between the lines.

Last edited:

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    learn to read between the lines.

I already did... and I can see that you are going out of your way to discredit a new member of the site. To what end? What's your point? Is this how you get your jollies? Is this the manner in which you treat citizens whom you have pulled over?

Again, you're acting worse than my wife. What's your flavor - tampax or kotex?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I already did... and I can see that you are going out of your way to discredit a new member of the site. To what end? What's your point? Is this how you get your jollies? Is this the manner in which you treat citizens whom you have pulled over?

Again, you're acting worse than my wife. What's your flavor - tampax or kotex?

First let me thank you for making an introductory post when you came on the board, and secondly let me apologize for missing it and not welcoming you.

However, after visiting it and your posted pics of your inventory, I now understand where all of this is coming from ...

I now see the caliber of warrior I am dealing with. I obviously have a lot to learn from you.

To your statement...

I am not trying to discredit anyone. The guy made some rough shot comments that i do not agree with, so i am asking him to explain why he feels that way. Who knows, he may just change my mind. :eek3: in case you were wondering, that is what a discussion board is. But please feel free to continue answering questions that are repeatedly explained as directly pertaining to a particular individual that too is what a discussion board is all about.

A little belated, but welcome. You will obviously fit right in with many.

Last edited:

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Not sure what my intro post or my personal choice in arsenal has to do with any of this. I wouldn't consider myself a warrior at all - just an average joe with an interest in firearms as a hobby. What's wrong with my pistol, anyway? Is it because it's not a Glock, or because I have high-capacity magazines? Well, the pistol was technically purchased for my wife - she hates black guns. I bought high-caps for fun plinking out at the camp. No matter, I'm not sure I see the relevance to the subject at hand.

You're the one who is acting like an ignorant vajayjay here. You act like nobody is qualified to have an opinion on a public forum because they aren't a LEO like you. Yet, even your own moderators have posted on here questioning your unreasonable arguments. As a matter of fact, this isn't the first thread where I've seen you being unreasonable and caustic.

You're also very defensive about people "LEO-bashing," but the behavior you exhibit here is the precise reason why many people hate cops. I, personally, am not one of those (have many LEO friends who act WAY more mature than you)... but, I just can't stand that whole "I'm better than you and I know everything" attitude. You obviously don't have a lick of tact. I don't want you to learn anything from me, but you seem to think that everyone here has something to learn from you. :mamoru:

'Nuff said. Have a great weekend! I'm looking forward to tomorrow - will be out at Port Hudson National Cemetery planting flags with the Scouts first thing.

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Not sure what my intro post or my personal choice in arsenal has to do with any of this. I wouldn't consider myself a warrior at all - just an average joe with an interest in firearms as a hobby. What's wrong with my pistol, anyway? Is it because it's not a Glock, or because I have high-capacity magazines? Well, the pistol was technically purchased for my wife - she hates black guns. I bought high-caps for fun plinking out at the camp. No matter, I'm not sure I see the relevance to the subject at hand.

You're the one who is acting like an ignorant vajayjay here. You act like nobody is qualified to have an opinion on a public forum because they aren't a LEO like you. Yet, even your own moderators have posted on here questioning your unreasonable arguments. As a matter of fact, this isn't the first post where I've seen you being unreasonable and caustic.

You're also very defensive about people "LEO-bashing," but the behavior you exhibit here is the precise reason why many people hate cops. I, personally, am not one of those (have many LEO friends)... but, I just can't stand that whole "I'm better than you and I know everything" attitude. You obviously don't have a lick of tact. I don't want you to learn anything from me, but you seem to think that everyone here has something to learn from you. :mamoru:

'Nuff said. Have a great weekend! I'm looking forward to tomorrow - will be out at Port Hudson National Cemetery planting flags with the Scouts first thing.

You figured it all out little buddy.

:rofl:

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Seriously, "Little Buddy"??? :rolleyes: This is your second attempt to belittle/demean me and that is precisely what you were doing to the other guy, which led me to post my comments in the first place.

To rely on personal attacks in what is supposed to be an intelligent debate only undermines your point... which I'm still not entirely sure you have made. It also serves to discredit your "authority" and makes you look like an a$$.

I sincerely hope that the method in which you deal with issues behind your internet persona is not an indicator of how you operate behind your badge.

Your debating skills leave a lot to be desired. You should probably stick to writing tickets to soccer moms.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Seriously, "Little Buddy"??? :rolleyes: This is your second attempt to belittle/demean me and that is precisely what you were doing to the other guy, which led me to post my comments in the first place.

To rely on personal attacks in what is supposed to be an intelligent debate only undermines your point... which I'm still not entirely sure you have made. It also serves to discredit your "authority" and makes you look like an a$$.

I sincerely hope that the method in which you deal with issues behind your internet persona is not an indicator of how you operate behind your badge.

Your debating skills leave a lot to be desired. You should probably stick to writing tickets to soccer moms.

I think the last few of your little tirades are a better example of personal attacks than me simply saying "little buddy", but whatever, adult sir.:rolleyes:

But I wouldn't expect you to understand since you came out the gate comparing me to your wife and attempting to demean me, but i guess I started that one right?

I will try desperately not to lose sleep over what you think of me tonight.

As you wished me, have a great weekend.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom