Coyote snipers come up empty-handed in Harahan hunt.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I like this part. Does SWAT need different ammo so they can hit the coyote. :rofl:

"They fired a round, but we didn't connect," Najolia said.

It could have been the .223-caliber ammunition being used by the shooters, he said. Coyotes might require a different type of bullet, perhaps a varmint round specifically made to take down small animals."

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    First off, they must be hit in order for any round to work. :o

But if it were me, the .223 rounds I'd use would be something that expands, rather than FMJ....

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    "It could have been the .223-caliber ammunition being used by the shooters, he said. Coyotes might require a different type of bullet, perhaps a varmint round specifically made to take down small animals."

Sounds like someone is making up excuses. Even with "better" ammunition it will only kill it faster.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    It could have been the .223-caliber ammunition being used by the shooters, he said. Coyotes might require a different type of bullet, perhaps a varmint round specifically made to take down small animals."

:mamoru:

coyote.jpg

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Isn't .223 the most common Varmint round?

Without question, yes. Especially for coyote in this country, magnified when you're talking about the ranges these "SWAT" guys are working at. It's arguably the best choice for the job as well.

Provided their rifles are set up for it (twist-wise), one of the short, hollow varmint grenades would be a fine option. You don't need a lot of penetration on a coyote, and get the added advantage of not having it in case of errant shots-- which apparently are pretty common for these guys. :mamoru: They aren't shooting far enough to be concerned about the BC, and that type of fragmentation will leave the spindly little 'yotes around here in pieces.

Heck, if they have some of the 60 grain TAP around, that'd be the easiest and most obvious choice. On top of everything else, that ballistic tip makes for some consistent (read: accurate) shooting.

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    First off, they must be hit in order for any round to work. :oBut if it were me, the .223 rounds I'd use would be something that expands, rather than FMJ....
    The police should not be using fmj for anything other than range time. Military must use it because of the War treaty.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    The police should not be using fmj for anything other than range time. Military must use it because of the War treaty.

TG was talking about this on Guntalk's radio show this past Sunday, and he gave the impression that they were using .223 FMJ ammo on the coyotes. (If you can get his podcast, you can hear what he says in the July 3rd show. It's in segment one, in the first 10 minutes of the show.):)

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    In order to hit a coyote, one must be able to see the coyote.

It is not easy to find and see a coyote.

And, it matters very little what kind of bullet is was, THEY MISSED THE COYOTE !

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I'd have to say if they were hunting in even a sparsely populated area, it wouldn't be very wise to use FMJ.

Top Bottom