Crimson trace or tru dots for your CC gun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    Help me out guys. I am about to start carrying & I’m trying to figure out if I’m going with a crimson trace or tru dots. I have never shot with a laser before & don’t know what to expect. Why would or wouldn’t you put a laser on your gun.

The only thing I would consider a disadvantage with the crimson trace is not being able to disable the laser.

biggin215

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I would get a quality set of night sights WAY before I would ever get a laser. You can train enough to be faster on the sights than someone trying to pick up on a laser.

Laser =/= accuracy.

richiespng

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Picayune, MS
    I have carry guns with Night Sights and a carry gun with a Crimson Trace. Both have their advantages/disadvantages.

I actually like having the CT. It does not take the place of aimed shooting but it does allow you to fire from odd positions and still get hits. During the day in bright sunlight it's pretty worthless. Dawn, dusk and night it's a big advantage. One issue: Get good at shooting without it. Too many people I know who buy one concentrate on the dot on the target instead of their front sight. I use my sights at the primary aiming system. The CT just confirms the POA and/or gives me the ability to fire when I dont have the ability to take perfect aim.

Now, for my wife who knows very little about shooting other than pulling the trigger, the CT makes a WORLD of difference. When just shooting with irons, she is a decent enough shot but "groupings" are not there. With the CT she can tear out the 10 ring at 10-15 yards. BUT she is concentrating on the dot, not the front sight. For a night time break in scenario, I'm ok with that.

And you CAN turn off the CT. There is a recessed push button on the unit that will allow you to turn it completely off.

Last edited:

armyvet

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    NOLA
    FYI, there is a $50 rebate right now on Crimson Trace products. The rebate period ends June 30th, so you have got to act fast!

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    IMO a laser is a great training tool, but I would not fully put my trust and confidence into it. The instances where you might have the chance to deploy and employ one are very slim, unless you are shooting from very ackward unorthodox shooting positions.

Other than the intimidation factor which is a hole new topic I would just stick with some good Night sights, I'm a big fan of Ameriglo ever since they came up with the ProGlo line, its very easy to pick up during the day due to the red ring around the titrium and you still have a working sight at night.

I would invest in some good NS and a weapon mounted light and leave the laser alone, just a thought

Last edited:

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    I am going to try the CT... I just HAVE to!!!! I found them on ebay for $163.19 + $50 rebate + free shipping. That's $113.19 for the exact same laser that I looked at yesterday, at Bass Pro for $259

fastmover

fastmover
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    lafayette, la
    my humble .02

If you have a gun for self defense you shall have night sights.

If you want a illuminating aiming device you should have one. It has its advantages but be aware of the disadvantages.

richiespng

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Picayune, MS
    I am going to try the CT... I just HAVE to!!!! I found them on ebay for $163.19 + $50 rebate + free shipping. That's $113.19 for the exact same laser that I looked at yesterday, at Bass Pro for $259

What model number? I MIGHT be able to beat that price. That is a good price though.

LongGoneDays

Mine. Not yours.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Shreveport, LA

But how are you going to use a rebate on somethhing from eBay that expires tomorrrow?

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    I just contacted CT customer service, the lady said as long as I purchaced before the 30th the rebate will be valid. It does expire July 30, though

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I just contacted CT customer service, the lady said as long as I purchaced before the 30th the rebate will be valid. It does expire July 30, though

But with that rebate form you need a receipt from the purchase from an authorized CT dealer. I don't know if you can get the rebate on an ebay purchase...

Top Bottom