Crossfit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    This after 6 years in the fitness industry with multiple certs and 3 specializations:

If its working, do it.

If it isn't, don't.

The reason crossfit gets such a bad reputation is because its like some cult where they have to go tell everyone they know that crossfit > whatever that person is currently doing. I've been to CF, and some times its good stuff. Occasionally its amazing stuff. Often, its just "stuff" that gets people moving. Just my opinion.

If its for you and its contributing to a successful lifestyle- DO IT. Results > statistics, opinions, articles

Best words in this thread

Simple truth is, if you pick up something heavy, and next week you pick up something heavier, and the week after you do the same, you'll get stronger. No matter what name you call it.

Same goes for cardio, or any sort of body conditioning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Diet and exercise both, most people are horribly out of shape. Any program works great for you if you haven't done anything before. I saw fantastic results doing Insanity (going from having not worked out in ~8 years). I saw fantastic results switching to a low fat diet. Same with training up for a marathon. Same with going paleo. Same with power lifting. It's just about getting some exercise, and regulating your diet to some degree. No exercise program is "teh best". Your goal should be to pick a thing about yourself, and improve it.

Fitness is a journey, not a goal.

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    rabbit bro hit it on the head, lots of crossfitters feel the need to tell everyone that they crossfit and why its so amazing and why you are wasting your time not doing it.

I did crossfit for a while and enjoyed it, got in much better cardio shape than i had been in in my life but any workout is as hard as you make it.

I'm not doing it because they only have one pricing system, expensive. For my gym plus crossfit its like $130 a month, or just $40 for the gym, which is one of those gyms that has everything. The expense combined with my inability to guarantee that i would make classes due to work means i stopped going, it would be nice if they offered something for $15-$20 a month and you could go like 6 times a month, as i like what i am doing but would love a good wod to mix things up or supplament cardio,
    but im not paying $80 a month for an occasional workout.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    rabbit bro hit it on the head, lots of crossfitters feel the need to tell everyone that they crossfit and why its so amazing and why you are wasting your time not doing it.

I did crossfit for a while and enjoyed it, got in much better cardio shape than i had been in in my life but any workout is as hard as you make it.

I'm not doing it because they only have one pricing system, expensive. For my gym plus crossfit its like $130 a month, or just $40 for the gym, which is one of those gyms that has everything. The expense combined with my inability to guarantee that i would make classes due to work means i stopped going, it would be nice if they offered something for $15-$20 a month and you could go like 6 times a month, as i like what i am doing but would love a good wod to mix things up or supplament cardio,
    but im not paying $80 a month for an occasional workout.

You can do a punch card.

Just sayin'.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I'm sure crossfit is a good workout but until some one can explain logically why it's better to do a pull up the wrong way I'll never get it.

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    1. Why is it the wrong way? because it wasn't the way you were taught?
    2. How is a Kipping pull-up vs. a Strict or traditional pull-up any different than a strict press vs push press vs push jerk vs split jerk? They all accomplish moving weight from shoulder to overhead, all accepted forms of exercise. If the goal is simply to develop pure shoulder strength you go strict press, if the goal is to move more weight or the same weight for more reps before you become limited by fatigue you use the others as appropriate for your goals. They each progressively use more of your overall body to generate more power thus accomplishing your goal. Kipping to accomplish shoulders from hang position to the bar in a pull up works the same way, either moving more weight (i.e. weighted pull-ups) or moving that weight for more reps before becoming fatigued.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Because "slinging" you're body weight in the direction you want to go is cheating. And the only person you're cheating is you're self. Just because someone gave it a name doesn't mean it isn't.

Crossfit is good. It keeps the physical therapist busy. They need to make a living like everyone else.

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    Sure it does except when coaches write a programs for a 73 year old double hip replacement that shortened her expected physical therapy by 3 months.

People that that refuse to accept their limits in any sport keep the physical therapists in business, as of yet there has been no definitive study showing Crossfit as an activity has any higher injury rate than any other Sport or Athletic endeavor it's merely people complaining, and the current popularity of the sport that cause this to keep this popping into the media. It's merely click bait.

Slinging your bodyweight is exactly what a push press or a push jerk is, so by that logic olympic lifting must be cheating?

Like I said above, if your goal and movement standard for comparison is strict pull-ups then do strict pull-ups. If you goal is to move your body weight from hang to top position as efficiently and quickly as possible, then kipping or butterfly pull-ups are as legitimate a method as strict pull-ups.

Cheating to me means breaking the rules, if the rules allow kipping then kipping is not cheating by definition.

Again I ask if the rules or standards of movement of the activity you participate in allow for kipping or butterfly pull-ups How is kipping or butterfly wrong?

Is a clean and jerk wrong because you use momentum, or slinging of your body and weight in the direction you want to move it, or is it simply different than dead lift+reverse curl+strict press? If a clean and jerk is ok, then alternate forms of pull-ups if the rules/standards of your activity allow it are equally ok.

The trick is comparing on the same basis. I would not tell you I can press 200 lbs w/o specifying which type of press. If I can push press it and you can strict press the same, you obviously have more pure shoulder strength vs. the leg and shoulder strength that a push press uses.

So please explain to me (assuming you accept olympic lifting as legitimate and not cheating) how using momentum in another movement is cheating as long as the standard for comparison purposes is disclosed? Other than somebody told you that a long time ago.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Using momentum in a pull up makes it not a pull up is why. Call it something else if that's the way you want to do it because it's no longer a pull up. Maybe a jerk up or jerk up and off......pick something.
    Maybe if you go do some jerk up off's it will help with you're but hurt.

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    By the way you'd also have to apply your same logic to muscle ups, and most gymnastics movements performed on rings or bars at any speed. They also tend to use momentum, they demonstrate their skills both with momentum (kipping) and pure strength (strict, think iron cross)

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    I'm not butt hurt, you asked for an explanation, I was trying to be nice and explain it to you. We do call it something different, we call it kipping pull ups. Have you done one? It still works the late but also involves the core muscle groups and legs. For our standards of movements when pull ups are called for we know that if not otherwise specified kipping or butterfly is allowed. Same as if we see ground to overhead or shoulder to overhead. If we see strict pull ups, shoulder press, push press, we follow the standards of that specific movement.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Using momentum in a pull up makes it not a pull up is why. Call it something else if that's the way you want to do it because it's no longer a pull up. Maybe a jerk up or jerk up and off......pick something.
    Maybe if you go do some jerk up off's it will help with you're but hurt.

I'm not butt hurt, you asked for an explanation, I was trying to be nice and explain it to you. We do call it something different, we call it kipping pull ups. Have you done one? It still works the late but also involves the core muscle groups and legs. For our standards of movements when pull ups are called for we know that if not otherwise specified kipping or butterfly is allowed. Same as if we see ground to overhead or shoulder to overhead. If we see strict pull ups, shoulder press, push press, we follow the standards of that specific movement.

Play nice fellers!

As someone who does pullups on a routine basis, I will interject my (non-expert) opinion. A kipp-up, if that is the name for it, is essentially an explosive pullup with some added leg momentum from what I have seen. I have never done an 'official' crossfit workout in a crossfit gym, but through the various sports and martial arts that I have practiced, we did many, many different workouts, many of which are now crossfit workouts. Explosive pullups, both weighted and unweighted, give you a slightly different workout than traditional pullups. Which is more effective? Well, I would say it depends on many, many different factors. Now, whenever people start adding the 'kipping' motion to pullups where they thrust their legs and core up, it obviously is going to lighten the load on the arms and shoulders by a substantial bit thus making the actual pullup part easier. It is also going to work their core and legs though. So now we have three pullups: traditional, explosive, and kipp-ups. Which one is best? Who cares? I don't. I am not a big proponent of crossfit, but I would rather see someone do five kipp-ups than no traditional pullups.

All of that being said, all three of those types of pullups work different muscle groups in different ways. To say one is "better" than the other is just not right as they are all different. If you are going JUST to work your back muscles, a traditional pullup is probably better. But even with that being said, you then have to consider hand positions. Palms facing in, our, or to the inside? What about width? Close, normal, wide? Occasionally I will throw a kipp-up styled pullup into my workout where I hold my legs in front of me and sort of contract my core on the upward part. I don't think it is the exact same as a kipp-up, but it is pretty darn close and is a good workout.

Now, whenever one is having a "pullup" competition, such as the types that the marines have at various sporting events where they give away t-shirts, cups, and such, I don't think explosive or kipp-up pullups should count. And they usually don't. It is not a traditional all the way up and all the way down pullup.

So, what I am getting at is that there is not one "right" way and each method is better than the others in its own way.

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    ^this

Your reference to the competitions is what I was getting at with movement standards. These are set and provided ahead of time at competititions to prevent arguments. For Marines as far as I know if you kip or don't get you chin above the bar you get a no rep. The same debates have happened in powerlifting, they have equipped, unequipped, classic and likely other categories to ensure competitions are equal enough to have some validity.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    ^this

Your reference to the competitions is what I was getting at with movement standards. These are set and provided ahead of time at competititions to prevent arguments. For Marines as far as I know if you kip or don't get you chin above the bar you get a no rep. The same debates have happened in powerlifting, they have equipped, unequipped, classic and likely other categories to ensure competitions are equal enough to have some validity.

Exactly. In high-school I wrestled the whole time but we hit the weights very, very hard. They had this board on the wall of strongest lifts (squat, bench press, clean, snatch, etc). I was determined to beat all of the football players at bench press. To get on the board for bench you had to pick the weight up, extend it all the way to locked out from taking it off the rack, then bring it all the way down, touch your chest and stop it for a second on your chest. No bounce was allowed. Then all the way up to locked out again. Lots of guys wanted to do a bounce bench press with a very explosive movement. Sure, it worked, but it wasn't what that rules allowed.

And to brag on myself, I weighed 145 and got on the board with a 295 lb press. Number three :]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom