Crossfit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    You can do a punch card.

Just sayin'.

not at my gym, i have messaged the head coach about something like that and never get a response, it would be nice, but its not essential to me and i enjoy what im doing that isnt crossfit as well

Maybe there's a gym around town where i can, but thats another bill, if they could do it at my gym then it would just be billed to my existing account. I don't like making extra things to keep track of unless i have to.

I'm not dieing to do crossfit, its a good workout like many other workouts.

Austin, thats a damn nice bench, I'm pretty clean, but im not sure if im that clean and strict. I don't need to be, i dont compete. I go full range of motion from the top, anywhere from an inch off the chest to just touching, the one second pause would kill me, it feels on any set.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    If I want to work out my back/biceps I'll do pullups. If I want to work my core I'll do a core workout. Say what you want, but kipping pullups are like half-repping bench press. Sure you're still getting some level of training, but it's a move that's supposed to target specific muscle groups.

ETA: now if you just want to do pull-ups for cardio...

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Austin, thats a damn nice bench, I'm pretty clean, but im not sure if im that clean and strict. I don't need to be, i dont compete. I go full range of motion from the top, anywhere from an inch off the chest to just touching, the one second pause would kill me, it feels on any set.
    I never really "competed" per se, I just wanted to be stronger than the silly fatass football players whose names were up on the board. Back then I had a pretty nice bench chart setup where I was pressing MWF and doing everything from light weights with infinite reps to high weights with three reps. Some days I even did a "negative" which is where you put 25% more than your max on the bar and just lower it as slowly as you can down and then have your three buddies help you raise it up. Works super well as a muscle shocker.

If I want to work out my back/biceps I'll do pullups. If I want to work my core I'll do a core workout. Say what you want, but kipping pullups are like half-repping bench press. Sure you're still getting some level of training, but it's a move that's supposed to target specific muscle groups.
    I agree with that. I don't do kippups. I do explosive pullups sometimes, but my legs don't move much at all. I am just saying there is a place for them...it's just not in my workout! :)

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Some days I even did a "negative" which is where you put 25% more than your max on the bar and just lower it as slowly as you can down and then have your three buddies help you raise it up. Works super well as a muscle shocker.

Those are amazing. Do you even lift bro? : Austin [confirmed]

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Those are amazing. Do you even lift bro? : Austin [confirmed]

Funny story on "do you even lift": The weekend before last I was at the Beau Rivage with a buddy (long story but they comped him a free room and $900 in free food), so we went there to practice running on the beach and overall training for our race with a little plus of relaxing by the pool and such. Well, we decided to hit the gym before going for a casual beach run / swim and I had a bit of an ego boost:

So, I am sitting there doing curls with probably 35s or 40s. I think 35s. A dude is curling 15s and walks over to me and just stares. He then asks me "man, do you even lift?" as I am repping out hammer curls. I look at him and I am like..."uh...I don't know how to respond to that...yes?" He then is like "dude your arms are huge! I wish my arms were that big!! What did you do to get in that kind of shape?"

Well I do what any nice feller would do and invite the kid to join in on my circuit of back / bi / tri / chest / jumping jacks. Well, he somewhat accepted and we ended up talking. Turns out he was a 16 year old Freshman football player at Kentwood Highschool. I thought the kid was like 24, haha! Well, we workout and he is doing all of his lifts all wrong with terrible form and is using weights that are just slightly too heavy for him. So my buddy and I workout with this guy for an hour or so and practically kill him. Then we invited him to come for a three mile jog with us on the beach, which is promptly declined.

On a slightly different note, where do you workout at MW? Gym membership or what? I have been contemplating joining Planet Fitness since I live decently near it and it's only $10 bucks a month. I would only probably use it twice a week though just for heavy weight lifts with weights that I don't have at home. Thoughts?

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Funny story on "do you even lift": The weekend before last I was at the Beau Rivage with a buddy (long story but they comped him a free room and $900 in free food), so we went there to practice running on the beach and overall training for our race with a little plus of relaxing by the pool and such. Well, we decided to hit the gym before going for a casual beach run / swim and I had a bit of an ego boost:

So, I am sitting there doing curls with probably 35s or 40s. I think 35s. A dude is curling 15s and walks over to me and just stares. He then asks me "man, do you even lift?" as I am repping out hammer curls. I look at him and I am like..."uh...I don't know how to respond to that...yes?" He then is like "dude your arms are huge! I wish my arms were that big!! What did you do to get in that kind of shape?"

Well I do what any nice feller would do and invite the kid to join in on my circuit of back / bi / tri / chest / jumping jacks. Well, he somewhat accepted and we ended up talking. Turns out he was a 16 year old Freshman football player at Kentwood Highschool. I thought the kid was like 24, haha! Well, we workout and he is doing all of his lifts all wrong with terrible form and is using weights that are just slightly too heavy for him. So my buddy and I workout with this guy for an hour or so and practically kill him. Then we invited him to come for a three mile jog with us on the beach, which is promptly declined.

On a slightly different note, where do you workout at MW? Gym membership or what? I have been contemplating joining Planet Fitness since I live decently near it and it's only $10 bucks a month. I would only probably use it twice a week though just for heavy weight lifts with weights that I don't have at home. Thoughts?

Planet Fitness is the chuck E cheese of the fitness world. I don't even think they have 35lb dumbbells. PF is the chain that throws people out that "look too fit". PF is for fatties to feel comfortable around other fatties. (harsh, just true) That place is literally a fitness center where the goal is to eventually get kicked out. lmao

I use anytime and a mix of home stuff as well. Some anytimes are better equipped than others, but at least the heavy presses etc are covered no matter where I travel. 40/mo or so? Not sure but its something like that. I usually lift 4 days a week in the afternoons, and do my cardio-ish stuff in early AM. Occasionally I'll take some free weights to the park and get some fresh air. Jog, step ups on bench, pushups, burpees, curls, etc. The problem is that I live in a small town so when I'm at the park people stop to chat n crap. At the gym with headphones in, its cruise control for lifting. Strongly recommend gym membership- just not at a place that serves pizza and throws out bodybuilders.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Planet Fitness is the chuck E cheese of the fitness world. I don't even think they have 35lb dumbbells. PF is the chain that throws people out that "look too fit". PF is for fatties to feel comfortable around other fatties. (harsh, just true) That place is literally a fitness center where the goal is to eventually get kicked out. lmao

I use anytime and a mix of home stuff as well. Some anytimes are better equipped than others, but at least the heavy presses etc are covered no matter where I travel. 40/mo or so? Not sure but its something like that. I usually lift 4 days a week in the afternoons, and do my cardio-ish stuff in early AM. Occasionally I'll take some free weights to the park and get some fresh air. Jog, step ups on bench, pushups, burpees, curls, etc. The problem is that I live in a small town so when I'm at the park people stop to chat n crap. At the gym with headphones in, its cruise control for lifting. Strongly recommend gym membership- just not at a place that serves pizza and throws out bodybuilders.

Yeah, I am not paying 40 bucks a month for something I will use twice a week. I would just buy the weights and do it at home in that case. The reason I was thinking about planet fitness is because $120 bucks a year is much less than the cost of buying a few hundred extra pounds of weights...and then finding a place to store them.

I have never been. Surely they have 35-100 lb dumbbells... Isn't that kind of a requirement for a gym? I will inquire. If they don't have at least up to 65s then it is a deal breaker.

As for them throwing out bodybuilders and the type. I won't be thrown out. I'm just not the type of person they would want to get rid of :P

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Yeah, I am not paying 40 bucks a month for something I will use twice a week. I would just buy the weights and do it at home in that case. The reason I was thinking about planet fitness is because $120 bucks a year is much less than the cost of buying a few hundred extra pounds of weights...and then finding a place to store them.

I have never been. Surely they have 35-100 lb dumbbells... Isn't that kind of a requirement for a gym? I will inquire. If they don't have at least up to 65s then it is a deal breaker.

As for them throwing out bodybuilders and the type. I won't be thrown out. I'm just not the type of person they would want to get rid of :P

I love their intro video on their website. "You want me make small muscle BIG MUSCLE?" lmfao

Speaking for the one in lafayette, its almost entirely machines and the very limited free weights are capped at 50lbs I think. I remember telling someone "I can curl every weight in the gym, so how do I get stronger?"

I mean, try it. For ten bucks the worst thing you get is a few funny stories - like my buddy that got kicked out for doing weighted pushups on medicine balls. He even said something brilliant: "you're making me uncomfortable. let me just do what i want huh?" No sir, thats not allowed. On his last rep he grunted. Not one of those "OHGAWD IM BENCHING 135 AND IM HERE TO RAPE THE CHURCHES AND BURN THE WOMEN!!! ARGGG!!!" but more like " that last rep though. damn." You know?

Nah, on his way out they politely asked him not to come back.

note that the 40 I pay is for 2, not me solo. Another thing you can do is call a few local gyms and tell them you'd like to try them out for a week before you commit. Great trick for traveling too.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    That sounds amazing...

I just had a tablespoon of peanutbutter :) Is that crossfit OK, rsc?

Considering I have jars of peanut butter and almond butter and sunflower butter in my pantry, yep.

-----

Oh, and PF makes me giggle. I know an LEO who only goes there because it's cheap and convenient. He's in great shape but it just makes me giggle.

He sets off that groaning alarm at least once a week.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I love their intro video on their website. "You want me make small muscle BIG MUSCLE?" lmfao

Speaking for the one in lafayette, its almost entirely machines and the very limited free weights are capped at 50lbs I think. I remember telling someone "I can curl every weight in the gym, so how do I get stronger?"

I mean, try it. For ten bucks the worst thing you get is a few funny stories - like my buddy that got kicked out for doing weighted pushups on medicine balls. He even said something brilliant: "you're making me uncomfortable. let me just do what i want huh?" No sir, thats not allowed. On his last rep he grunted. Not one of those "OHGAWD IM BENCHING 135 AND IM HERE TO RAPE THE CHURCHES AND BURN THE WOMEN!!! ARGGG!!!" but more like " that last rep though. damn." You know?

Nah, on his way out they politely asked him not to come back.

note that the 40 I pay is for 2, not me solo. Another thing you can do is call a few local gyms and tell them you'd like to try them out for a week before you commit. Great trick for traveling too.

From what I have heard (and seen from driving past) the Planet Fitness is in a HUGE building. My idea of working out in a gym is going there, getting in, getting out, talking to no one, and maybe glancing at a few cute women. Nothing else. No chit chat. Even if their free weights are capped at 50 lbs, that is 15 more than what I have at home. Just to buy 40s, 45s, and 50s, you are looking at $270 plus tax. I also only have up to 250 or so on my bench press here...which is out in our "workout room" which has recently become a "throw all of your crap in here" room. I would bet they probably don't just have a free weight bench press machine, they probably one one with a rotating lock on it, but that is still better than nothing for heavy weight bench...and it might even help with not having a spotter.

Now they might have a plethora of machines too. That could be beneficial as well as /some/ machines are good in my opinion. It is pretty hard to do decent rows at home without a machine. Maybe they have kettlebells too?! Idk though...that might get me kicked out :P

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    From what I have heard (and seen from driving past) the Planet Fitness is in a HUGE building. My idea of working out in a gym is going there, getting in, getting out, talking to no one, and maybe glancing at a few cute women. Nothing else. No chit chat. Even if their free weights are capped at 50 lbs, that is 15 more than what I have at home. Just to buy 40s, 45s, and 50s, you are looking at $270 plus tax. I also only have up to 250 or so on my bench press here...which is out in our "workout room" which has recently become a "throw all of your crap in here" room. I would bet they probably don't just have a free weight bench press machine, they probably one one with a rotating lock on it, but that is still better than nothing for heavy weight bench...and it might even help with not having a spotter.

Now they might have a plethora of machines too. That could be beneficial as well as /some/ machines are good in my opinion. It is pretty hard to do decent rows at home without a machine. Maybe they have kettlebells too?! Idk though...that might get me kicked out :P

one of my absolute favorite things to do is buy good used fitness gear. dumbbells that are gathering dust in someone's garage will sell for pennies on the dollar. People that paid 2k for a treadmill can't stand to look at it. It's a spotlight on their fitness failure, and they'll damn near give it away.

I bought a bowflex, flat bench, olympic bar, 2x 45 plates, 2x35 plates, 2x25 plates, a rack of dumbbells (10, 20, 30), and a crappy but functional treadmill from a lady last year all for 250.00 total because she wanted it gone.

Home gym cost me 300 bucks. Paid for itself in a week.

edit ten minutes later: as fast as I post that, theres a listing on my company bulletin board in the break room. BowFlex Adjustable dumbell set. Paid 300.00. Asking 100.00 obo.

Guess who has a pair in his office!! Cost me 60.00 plus the lunch tab for the rest of the week. (figure 80 bucks total)

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Oh, and PF makes me giggle. I know an LEO who only goes there because it's cheap and convenient. He's in great shape but it just makes me giggle.

He sets off that groaning alarm at least once a week.

They use that thing all wrong. Setting off the alarm with proof of breaking a PR should be a free protein shake on your way out. It's literally a goal to get kicked out of that place.

the more I dwell on it, that thing is an ignorant business practice. There's ONE guy doing something thats annoying the people around him- your answer is to annoy the entire building to a 100dB siren? That thing alone is a reason I wouldn't go, even for free.

Last edited:

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge

You don't like to grab a slice or two of pizza on your way out?

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    i hate PF

im tempted to tour the one here just so i can constantly ask them where i can squat deadlift and bench press, and just generally nag about nothing being heavy enough.

I think the one here has 70lb DB's which is almost enough for OHP not even close for DB bench, maybe a warm up. Pretty good for incline DB bench, but id grow out of it.

I like that my gym has more weights than i can move, its suppossed to, its a gym.

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    not at my gym, i have messaged the head coach about something like that and never get a response, it would be nice, but its not essential to me and i enjoy what im doing that isnt crossfit as well

If you're talking about cross gates I'd get on their coach page for the CrossFit folks and call the first coach listed, she should be able to at least give you an answer if not work something out for you. If that's not the place it might be worth looking at for you.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    one of my absolute favorite things to do is buy good used fitness gear. dumbbells that are gathering dust in someone's garage will sell for pennies on the dollar. People that paid 2k for a treadmill can't stand to look at it. It's a spotlight on their fitness failure, and they'll damn near give it away.

I bought a bowflex, flat bench, olympic bar, 2x 45 plates, 2x35 plates, 2x25 plates, a rack of dumbbells (10, 20, 30), and a crappy but functional treadmill from a lady last year all for 250.00 total because she wanted it gone.

Home gym cost me 300 bucks. Paid for itself in a week.

edit ten minutes later: as fast as I post that, theres a listing on my company bulletin board in the break room. BowFlex Adjustable dumbell set. Paid 300.00. Asking 100.00 obo.

Guess who has a pair in his office!! Cost me 60.00 plus the lunch tab for the rest of the week. (figure 80 bucks total)
    I have done that as well - the trick is just finding it and then finding a place to put it. I guess I could clean out the "workout room" which is essentially a shed now, but that sounds like too much work. And its hot in there as the AC isn't on all the time. Oh, and we have like 12 mountain bikes in there and I would have to find another place to put them. All of this sounds like "work". And the second I clean it out, someone is going to start putting stuff in there again.

~10-20 for a gym membership with lots of weights and machines and a place to get away from distractions (family and dogs) > else

That being said - I still will workout at home haha. I don't even know if I am going to get a gym membership. Just going to go look!

During the school year I have full access to the LSU UREC which is probably four plus times the size of any local gym. It is huge. Olympic swimming pools, racquetball courts, rockwall, track, tennis courts, infinite weights and olympic lift stations as well as a constant supply of college girls wearing yoga pants to distract you. My only problem is if I go there at night I have to drive allllll the way over to LSU and then back home. It's not that far, but far enough where I don't want to do it. I do occasionally go before or after class if I have time with work.

You don't like to grab a slice or two of pizza on your way out?

Do they really have pizza there?!

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    ~10-20 for a gym membership with lots of weights and machines and a place to get away from distractions (family and dogs) > else

During the school year I have full access to the LSU UREC which is probably exactly where you should workout. That place is amazing

Do they really have pizza there?!

I highlighted the important stuff here. and to answer the pizza: yes lol

I have to workout at a gym. At home I've got too much crap going on. A toddler screaming, a phone ringing, a dozen honey-do projects hanging over my head, family that stops by to visit... At the gym its just: Set phone on DND and lift.

LSU REC has eye candy for days. If you can't get a number in that place, you need to visit it more often. I've trained a few former clients there, only trick involved is dodging rush hour.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I highlighted the important stuff here. and to answer the pizza: yes lol

LOL. I see what you did there.

The problem is that I live 15-20 mins from LSU. Getting there before class isn't really a plausible option as all of my classes start between 7:30 and 8:30 in the AM. I don't do well with weights in the morning. After class I usually go home and workout and shower then go to work. Benefit of that is food at home. I /could/ workout right after class, but then it would be a potential time conflict with going to work. Maybe next semester I will see what works out (ha a pun!)!

And a gym that serves pizza? Wtf? The UREC has a smoothie king as well!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom