Dash Cam or Windshield Cam

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Surfmonkey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Covington, LA
    Is it legal in Louisiana to have a camera on your dash or on your windshield? I have been given an answer of yes and an answer of no...so I am bringing the question to the largest group of smart people on the internet...

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    That stature appears to refer to 'tint or window film/covering', why would a camera on your dashboard be any different than having a radar detector or your dash?

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    It's illegal to put anything on your windshield.

Rather than asking your brother's cousin's uncle's wife's sister, or people on the interwebs, you can look up the actual statute. I'll pardon you this time, and provide it here: http://legis.la.gov/Legis/law.aspx?d=88294

B. Except as provided by R.S. "32:361.1(C), no person may operate a motor vehicle with any object or material......."

Says any object, but this is a tint statute. Pertains to window tint and "shade" type of objects.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    B. Except as provided by R.S. "32:361.1(C), no person may operate a motor vehicle with any object or material......."

Says any object, but this is a tint statute. Pertains to window tint and "shade" type of objects.

IIRC, Louisiana doesn't have a statute that says "You can't put your iPhone/GPS/Dashcam on your windshield," but it does have that statute and it states object.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by

So the next question has anyone ever been cited for have a tuner, radar, gps, or any other object hanging off the glass?

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    B. Except as provided by R.S. 32:361.1(C), no person may operate a motor vehicle with any object or material placed on or affixed to the front windshield or to front side windows of the vehicle so as to obstruct or reduce the driver's clear view through the front windshield or front side windows, nor place on or affix to the front windshield or the front side windows of a motor vehicle, any transparent material if the material alters the color or reduces the light transmission of the windshield or front side windows.

"Reduce the drivers clear view"

Last edited:

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    B. Except as provided by R.S. 32:361.1(C), no person may operate a motor vehicle with any object or material placed on or affixed to the front windshield or to front side windows of the vehicle so as to obstruct or reduce the driver's clear view through the front windshield or front side windows, nor place on or affix to the front windshield or the front side windows of a motor vehicle, any transparent material if the material alters the color or reduces the light transmission of the windshield or front side windows.

"Reduce the drivers clear view"

So reading this you cannot have ANY tint material on your front windows. Hmmmmmm

Surfmonkey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Covington, LA
    Thank you for the pardon Dave_M....I will do better next time...I went to USL (University of Slow Learners)...So, do any of you have a dash cam attached to the windshield, the rearview mirror, or the dash????? All I want it for is to record when driving...there are so many people in Covington/Mandeville that do not believe that STOP signs and RED lights mean stop...

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    Thank you for the pardon Dave_M....I will do better next time...I went to USL (University of Slow Learners)...So, do any of you have a dash cam attached to the windshield, the rearview mirror, or the dash????? All I want it for is to record when driving...there are so many people in Covington/Mandeville that do not believe that STOP signs and RED lights mean stop...

I've been driving with a radar detector or dash cam for years. Never had a problem. One could argue it does not obstruct my view of the road ahead of me.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    No problem as long as it's at the bottom of the windshield on the dash or up next to rear view.

--Sent from my Galaxy S6

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    If it's illegal, then our company has 1,000's of illegal units rolling around the state.

Several of our trucks have windshield mounted cameras as well as ones inside the cab.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It's ok Dave_M, we will pardon you this time.

Why did you edit your post?'
    '
    Go be a smartass somewhere else, buttercup. Did you know walking across the street before the signal turns white is also illegal? People do it all the time. The man asked about the legality of it, not if he should do it or not.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    I didn't want to edit my above post to ask this since you and John are sooooo sensitive... Why are you so upset with me, "Big guy"????

Top Bottom