Daughter's First Deer

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T-boy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    st. amant
    My daughter has been hunting with me for years but has never wanted to shoot anything herself. Over the summer she told me she wanted to kill a deer. Game on. Shot plenty over the summer with the .22, then moved her to the deer rifle. Saturday morning, we had 4 large does feed in about 650. Legal to shoot but still dark plus foggy. Watched them eat for about 15 minutes. Put the barrel out the window had her look thru scope to make sure it wasn't fogged up, it was good. Next problem was they were all 4 bunched up at feeder. So we waited. 2 of them were getting skittish, stomping their hoof at something in the woods (not us). One finally separates from the other 3, daughter is trying to line up shot, and she fed behind a tree. About that time, out waddles a FAT A$$ RACCOON between us and them. He promptly hisses at the deer and they all 4 throw flags and bolt. They ran all the way to the road we come in on. He went about 15 feet up the tree. I gave serious consideration to murdering him, but common sense prevailed. Every now and then you'd see a hoof or ear or tail. Too far for her to shoot and way too many trees between us for that. About 20 minutes go by and they finally start feeding back towards us. I look up as they are making their way through the woods and see a spike and another doe has joined the original 4. Told daughter, all 6 are the same size, buck \ doe doesn't matter to me, first one that gives you a clear shot is the one. 3 of the does stayed clumped up as well as the other 2 a lil ways away. That spike probably wishes he would have had a body guard too. She squeezed one off, he kicked his hind legs up at the shot and adrenaline carried him about 15 yards, I watched him pile up at the base of a cypress tree. She says, "Did I hit him, daddy?" I said "oh yeah, you knocked out both his fronts" The corner of the blind hid the deer from her sight, so I watch him for a minute then we got out and started celebrating.

Attachments

• D1.jpg
      D1.jpg
      139.8 KB · Views: 160
    • D2.jpg
      D2.jpg
      119.5 KB · Views: 160
    • D3.JPG
      D3.JPG
      340.7 KB · Views: 150
    • D4.jpg
      D4.jpg
      128.7 KB · Views: 149

IlivnDaBoot!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2022
    SHREVEPORT
    Congratulations! I've never hunted a day in my life, but I can tell you that I have got the fever. I actually got my fishing and basic hunting license in May and got rid of my fishing itch courtesy of my 8 year old son wanting to learn how to fish. Looking to get a 6.5 Creedmoor Savage 110 because I don't think I have enough patience for bow hunting. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_1747(1).jpg
      IMG_1747(1).jpg
      336.7 KB · Views: 72
    • IMG_1744(1).jpg
      IMG_1744(1).jpg
      511.9 KB · Views: 70

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Congratulations! I've never hunted a day in my life, but I can tell you that I have got the fever. I actually got my fishing and basic hunting license in May and got rid of my fishing itch courtesy of my 8 year old son wanting to learn how to fish. Looking to get a 6.5 Creedmoor Savage 110 because I don't think I have enough patience for bow hunting. Lol
    That’s what it’s all about right there man…. Never get them kinda smiles back!!! Enjoy them, they grow up fast…

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    My daughter has been hunting with me for years but has never wanted to shoot anything herself. Over the summer she told me she wanted to kill a deer. Game on. Shot plenty over the summer with the .22, then moved her to the deer rifle. Saturday morning, we had 4 large does feed in about 650. Legal to shoot but still dark plus foggy. Watched them eat for about 15 minutes. Put the barrel out the window had her look thru scope to make sure it wasn't fogged up, it was good. Next problem was they were all 4 bunched up at feeder. So we waited. 2 of them were getting skittish, stomping their hoof at something in the woods (not us). One finally separates from the other 3, daughter is trying to line up shot, and she fed behind a tree. About that time, out waddles a FAT A$$ RACCOON between us and them. He promptly hisses at the deer and they all 4 throw flags and bolt. They ran all the way to the road we come in on. He went about 15 feet up the tree. I gave serious consideration to murdering him, but common sense prevailed. Every now and then you'd see a hoof or ear or tail. Too far for her to shoot and way too many trees between us for that. About 20 minutes go by and they finally start feeding back towards us. I look up as they are making their way through the woods and see a spike and another doe has joined the original 4. Told daughter, all 6 are the same size, buck \ doe doesn't matter to me, first one that gives you a clear shot is the one. 3 of the does stayed clumped up as well as the other 2 a lil ways away. That spike probably wishes he would have had a body guard too. She squeezed one off, he kicked his hind legs up at the shot and adrenaline carried him about 15 yards, I watched him pile up at the base of a cypress tree. She says, "Did I hit him, daddy?" I said "oh yeah, you knocked out both his fronts" The corner of the blind hid the deer from her sight, so I watch him for a minute then we got out and started celebrating.
    You are one lucky man! I’m ashamed to admit I have only killed 1 doe in my life and my son has never killed a deer. I can only imagine the joy you must have felt when she was smiling ear to ear! Congratulations on being an awesome dad! She is very blessed to have such a caring dad to give her these wonderful memories!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom