Decent pellet rifle $100?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eman2k5

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    Covington, LA
    I’d like to get my step daughter a nicer pellet gun.

She is doing ok with her red Ryder but she’s turning 11 soon and by 12 I’d like to buy her a bolt action .22.

The in-between rifle I’d like to get her a .22 or .177 pellet rifle to target shoot in the back yard.

Any recommendations ? I’m in Covington, LA.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I scored a Benjamin Trail Nitro Piston Elite from Midway for $99 a few years ago. They were probably discontinued. It has a rubber thumbhole stock, and I replaced the plastic scope it came with to a fixed 4x scope to handle the recoil. It's a gas piston for cheap which is what I wanted.

It shoots quarter size groups or smaller at 25-30 yards in the backyard. Try different brands, weights, and shapes of pellets to see what it likes. The only down side is it will be hard for a 12 year old to pump the action. That may be good in slowing down her shooting though.

alexla4

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2022
    Louisiana
    I’d like to get my step daughter a nicer pellet gun.

She is doing ok with her red Ryder but she’s turning 11 soon and by 12 I’d like to buy her a bolt action .22.

The in-between rifle I’d like to get her a .22 or .177 pellet rifle to target shoot in the back yard.

Any recommendations ? I’m in Covington, LA.

Spin the wheel and get $20 off. This is a copy of the old crosman 160. IMO best for younger shooters.

RussnAttitude

always learning
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    UN
    Gamo Whisper Silent Cat in .22... At 70yds it's 1/8" accurate.
    IMG_20230609_180244.jpg
    IMG_20230609_180128.jpg
    IMG_20230609_180119.jpg

alexla4

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2022
    Louisiana
    Piston guns like that are great, and my favorites. I have two Dianas (48 & 350) and they have accounted for many squirrels. However, they tend to have a significant learning curve. So for a ypungster trying to master the basics of hold, sight picture, etc. , the double recoil of springers adds another difficult variable. I recommend them highly once the shooter has become proficient. BTW, I think the Gamos are head and shoulders above the other budget brands .

mod1911a

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Covington, LA
    You may have already chosen a gun by now.

But the Crossman Tyro (the .177) available from Midway is a superb spring air gun for the money. Quiet, powerful, not too hard to cock, and accurate as hell! And I mean accurate!. It'll put a .177 pellet through a standard (weathered a little) fence board at 40ft--no problem. And the stock, adjustable for length of pull, is a plus for a growing shooter. Awesome, adjustable sights--rear sight is square notch with 2 green light pipes on either side; front site is bright red light pipe. Even I can see the sights with my old eyes.
    It'll be a lot heavier for your stepdaughter compared to a Red Ryder, naturally.
    I've always had/have pump airguns-rifles and pistols-(I'm 67) and decided to buy the Tyro for my 10 yr old grandson. It was my first spring piston airgun. A little different to shoot, but simple and consistent shot-to-shot accuracy. Pump airguns are just too labor intensive and, I find, not consistent shot to shot.
    I can't say enough about the Crossman Tyro!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024
    Top Bottom