Decided not to get my CCW

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JDSilva87

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    Kenner, La
    Good news! My in laws gave me $100 for my birthday and encouraged me to take the training class and apply for the conceal permit! Told my wife that's what I'm doing and she said that's fine! I'll need your help on all kinds of conceal questions in the next few weeks!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    One night several years ago I stopped in a gas station that I usually use on the way home from work. My wife and daughter were in the car. There were some gang banger types nearby. She was nervous. I had a permit at the time but like many I didn't carry regularly. I also didn't have a small gun appropriate to carry then other than a .22.
    When I got in the car she started badgering me. You work around here and you don't carry? Why are we paying for that permit if you're not going to use it? I explained I didn't have a gun at the time appropriate for carry (others kept using up my gun budget!). Response: go buy it damn it, use the emergency credit card if you have to. This comes from a woman that is still scared of guns (she got robbed at gunpoint some years ago in the quarter while out with friends).

Someone hit the nail on the head about women being wired differently. Sometimes it takes an eyeopening situation to bring them around. You are their meal ticket. If something happens to you then that check stops coming in. You carry to defend yourself and your family.
    Its a shame but carrying a gun is in the same category as life insurance. You REALLY hope you don't need to use either but they're there to protect your family.

One other thing might help. Its a shame Cat lives so far from us. You need to put your wife in with other wives that have had their eyes opened. I went to the last bs.com dinner without mine unfortunately. Next next time she's coming. I ended up between Cat and Speedracer's wife. I really wish mine had been present for the conversations about the importance of training classes! (OT but I took my first real class recently after shooting for 20 years. It was an eyeopener! In one day I realized how much I didn't know! Take a real class. The CCW class is about the legalities not really about shooting. Take an intro to handgun class at one of the instructors around here- VATA, Paul Gomez, one of Vanilla Gorilla's classes, whatever.).

Last edited:

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Good news! My in laws gave me $100 for my birthday and encouraged me to take the training class and apply for the conceal permit! Told my wife that's what I'm doing and she said that's fine! I'll need your help on all kinds of conceal questions in the next few weeks!

I will allow you and your wife to attend one of my classes at no charge, -- if you qualify.

No .22 pistols in my class. *
    No .25 ACP Pistols in my class.*
    No. .32 ACP Pistols in my class *
    No .380 pistols in my class
    * Unless you have a medical report that documents a medical condition which precludes shooting a Service Caliber weapon

CALL ME at either of the following numbers to determine if you qualify.;

Ernie Gammon
    LA. State Police Concealed Handgun Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Personal Protection Instructor
    Affiliated Instructor -- Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network

225-766-4422 (Office)
    225-756-4848 (Home)

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I will allow you and your wife to attend one of my classes at no charge, -- if you qualify.

* Unless you have a medical report that documents a medical condition which precludes shooting a Service Caliber weapon

Ernie Gammon

225-766-4422 (Office)
    225-756-4848 (Home)

I'd take him up on this offer. Very Generous!

Hunh Bruh

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    setting you free!

Ernie Gammon

225-766-4422 (Office)
    225-756-4848 (Home)

wow, VERY generous and very admirable

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I​
    I work for Cox Cable four days a week from 8am-7pm. During my work week I'm in the worst parts of Metairie/Kenner. I go to section 8 housing and all. In my work van I have thousands upon thousands of dollars of equipment.

Cox does not let us carry concealed or even have a weapon in the vehicle. Failure to abide by this policy can lead to termination. So I decided the three days off a week when I'm going out to eat and to the grocery it's not essential that I have a CCW. The places I really do need it is where I cannot have it which is at work.

Since that is the case I have decided not to spend the $100 on training and the expensive application fees to get my CCW. I'm seriously considering trading my G26 which is the only gun I own for a G19 for better home defense.

Let me know what you think. Am I off base in my logic here?

Cool. But I'd suggest you go ahead and get the CHP.

Alright. So I'm completely new to owning handguns. Only owned for a year. What is a CHP?

You are right! You are not prepared to get any of this!

JDSilva87

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    Kenner, La

Ernie Gammon

225-766-4422 (Office)
    225-756-4848 (Home)

Thank you so much Mr. Ernie! I'm definitely interested. I called and left a message. My number is 985-807-4886. I really hope I qualify for your class!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Rusty told me yesterday that BRPD worked 15 shootings between last Friday and Tuesday, one a homicide. That's more than three a day, just in BR. Only the homicide and one other of the incidents "made" the news.

I am down with this reality^!

Some are living in la la land!

ejt1469

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    New Orleans
    I decided the three days off a week when I'm going out to eat and to the grocery it's not essential that I have a CCW.

And you know that crime can't/won't happen in these places because....If you have the ability to know this please pass this knowledge to the rest of us.

Last edited:

Countryman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    Lafayette
    Get the permit... when are you going to choose the day that your life or loved one's life is going to be in danger?
    This thread made me realize I've put this off long enough, following through with intended plan acquiring the permit. The job, time, and "other expenditures " have taken priority long enough. The times we live in at present require the odds be returned to law abiding citizens.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    This thread made me realize I've put this off long enough, following through with intended plan acquiring the permit. The job, time, and "other expenditures " have taken priority long enough. The times we live in at present require the odds be returned to law abiding citizens.

You are wise, elder!

alto8345

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Folsom, LA

Recently a Covington man was robbed and killed on the southshore why showing a piece of property. I went to school with his daughter.. I'm sure he never thought it would have happened to him...

Countryman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    Lafayette
    My wife recently mentioned to me how reported crime in the news was far and few between 30 years ago when I first transplanted her here from Florida. Maybe two or three various crimes a month on average. Now, its everyday and fills the newscast. Looking a Lafayette alone you see 4 bank robberies a week!! Plus all the other crazy crap going on, what in the world?!! It's upsetting. This the very reason I have special prayers for the safety of those in law inforcement, and that's every time I see one I pray for their safety.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Most people are not aware of how little crime makes it to the envening news. Try being a scanner geek like me for a while and you will see the magnitude of the problem in a whole different way.

ejt1469

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    New Orleans

Another armed good guy! Let's get this movement growing.

Top Bottom