DIY Pepper Poppers, Steel Targets, Plate Racks

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    A36 may "hold up" to the impact of the 9mm but the reverberation rate of the steel
    isn't sufficient to be shot by anything larger than a .22 with low muzzle velocity. The A36 carbon steel will throw back. That's why I said before that it's not safe. Y'all can do what y'all want. We're all adults here, and are responsible for our own actions. I just want to say that non hardened steel is NOT safe to shoot. I'd hate to see or hear that anyone that was privy to this post was hurt by a regular A36 target throwing back at them. I have said my pice and will keep my opinions to myself hence forth.
    I will add that the unsafe use of regular steel targets ( non hardened ) isn't an opinion but is fact.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    A36 may "hold up" to the impact of the 9mm but the reverberation rate of the steel
    isn't sufficient to be shot by anything larger than a .22 with low muzzle velocity. The A36 carbon steel will throw back. That's why I said before that it's not safe. Y'all can do what y'all want. We're all adults here, and are responsible for our own actions. I just want to say that non hardened steel is NOT safe to shoot. I'd hate to see or hear that anyone that was privy to this post was hurt by a regular A36 target throwing back at them. I have said my pice and will keep my opinions to myself hence forth.
    I will add that the unsafe use of regular steel targets ( non hardened ) isn't an opinion but is fact.

...and that's why we're having this discussion. ;)

I don't want members to have the attitude of,
    "well I've said it once, screw you if you don't listen." :p

I want us to be able to look out for each others own health and safety
    and share the ideas of what is and is not SAFE to shoot at.

AND just as pertinent to the OP
    the DESIGN/MEASUREMENTS of said Targets and Devices.

:hi5:

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I wrote it a couple of times. I just don't want to be seen as "That Guy" that always has something to say to the contrary on every post in a thread. I said my piece and this is a topic that I have a astute bit of knowledge on.

corey d

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Louisiana
    Good to go Corey. Is that ⅜"?

Thanks. That's 1/2" AR500.

I cant disagree, however the A36 targets I had were mounted through a hole in the target with a spring over the bolt, then a nut, then it went through the hanger bracket, then another nut (Lag bolt with the components in the following order: target, spring, nut, bracket, nut.) After shooting thousands of handgun rounds into my A36 targets, I had not one single blow back. It wasn't until I shot the targets with 556 that I ended up with bloody. While I agree that its unsafe, I think it can be done in a way to make it less unsafe.

Last edited:

corey d

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Louisiana
    I found a pic of mine being used....

10343990_886314304728187_991897076_o.jpg

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Thanks. That's 1/2" AR500.

I cant disagree, however the A36 targets I had were mounted through a hole in the target with a spring over the bolt, then a nut, then it went through the hanger bracket, then another nut (Lag bolt with the components in the following order: target, spring, nut, bracket, nut.) After shooting thousands of handgun rounds into my A36 targets, I had not one single blow back. It wasn't until I shot the targets with 556 that I ended up with bloody. While I agree that its unsafe, I think it can be done in a way to make it less unsafe.

Your decisions are your own to make but "less" unsafe is a pretty dubious standard. There are quality AR500 Targets available relatively cheap.

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    Your decisions are your own to make but "less" unsafe is a pretty dubious standard. There are quality AR500 Targets available relatively cheap.

+1...not worth it for the few extra coins more for AR500...
    Take it from someone that DID take one in the neck....they were not my tgts; a friend's plates that decided to save a few dollars...
    Never again....

corey d

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Louisiana

I think shooting at steel at handgun distances is inherently unsafe, weather you use AR500, A36, or whatever. Notice the picture above your last post, those are 1/2" thick AR500 targets. Notice how they are at such an angle that they send the bullet fragments downward. The targets are also sitting in a slot where there is room for the targets to move, thus deadening the impact. I wouldn't shoot at those targets if they weren't oriented in such a way. The same goes for the A36 targets I had. They were set up with a spring behind them to absorb the impact. I wouldn't have shot them if they were rigid mounted. Would I consider the way I did it safe? No, I wouldn't, but I would say safe enough. I would definitely say safer than shooting an antique gun.

As for the cost of AR500 targets, I know exactly how much they cost. I made mine. Im not factoring in the cost of the CNC plasma table though. :thumbsup:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I disagree I shoot or supervise the shooting of a couple hundred thousand rounds a year on AR500 Targets from Tac-Strike and MGM at pistol ranges. It's safe. I have seen 3 guys hit by bullets or bullet fragments big enough to require surgical removal shooting Carbon Steel Targets. I also wouldn't shoot targets cut on a plasma table with possible damage to the temper on the edges.

This is a pretty sweet deal:

http://tacstrike.com/STEEL-TARGETS/1-4-Scale-Steel-Target-System.html

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Seems AR500 is hard to find as well.

I called 8 Sheet Metal numbers from the yellow pages. ONE line actually worked :doh:

Finally talked to a couple folks and here are some prices I was quoted.

O'Neal Steel - Only carries AR400 only sales 8' x 24' x 3/8" Sheets(Yes that's 8 feet by 24 feet :eek3: ) = $2,191
    Wireson - Not stocked but can order from distributor out of GA. 1 week delivery. 4'x8'x ½" - $1,006

So a 3/8" sheet would come in less than a grand.

Last edited:

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I deal with a company here in Gonzales, LA. and I usually buy their "Drop" pieces. They cut it for use and the leftovers are at a good price. (they wouldn't be able to sell them any other way) I get it for about the same price as A-36.
    I also have a guy in Baker that will do the water jet cutting for a reasonable price.
    If y'all are interested in getting some done I can do some calling around and get some prices worked up. If we get a bunch of targets that people want then we can get the price down to where everyone will be happy with it.
    This isn't for profit and the price will be what ever it costs. So this will be a one shot wonder. I was thinking about getting a couple of custom cuts done but it was going to be a little more than I wanted to spend, but if I went in with a few other guys it would be worth it. Y'all let me know what y'all want to do and I'll put something together.

Last edited:

corey d

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Louisiana
    I disagree I shoot or supervise the shooting of a couple hundred thousand rounds a year on AR500 Targets from Tac-Strike and MGM at pistol ranges. It's safe. I have seen 3 guys hit by bullets or bullet fragments big enough to require surgical removal shooting Carbon Steel Targets. I also wouldn't shoot targets cut on a plasma table with possible damage to the temper on the edges.

Would you be surprised if I told you that tac-strike plasma cuts their targets? It would cost out the wazoo for them to water jet everything.

Seems AR500 is hard to find as well.

I called 8 Sheet Metal numbers from the yellow pages. ONE line actually worked :doh:

Finally talked to a couple folks and here are some prices I was quoted.

O'Neal Steel - Only carries AR400 only sales 8' x 24' x 3/8" Sheets(Yes that's 8 feet by 24 feet :eek3: ) = $2,191
    Wireson - Not stocked but can order from distributor out of GA. 1 week delivery. 4'x8'x ½" - $1,006

Kloeckner Metals has AR500. The last time I checked it was around $700 for a 4x8x3/8 sheet. It aint cheap.

Last edited:

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    I deal with a company here in Gonzales, LA. and I usually buy their "Drop" pieces. They cut it for use and the leftovers are at a good price. (they wouldn't be able to sell them any other way) I get it for about the same price as A-36.
    I also have a guy in Baker that will do the water jet cutting for a reasonable price.
    If y'all are interested in getting some done I can do some calling around and get some prices worked up. If we get a bunch of targets that people want then we can get the price down to where everyone will be happy with it.
    This isn't for profit and the price will be what ever it costs. So this will be a one shot wonder. I was thinking about getting a couple of custom cuts done but it was going to be a little more than I wanted to spend, but if I went in with a few other guys it would be worth it. Y'all let me know what y'all want to do and I'll put something together.

Depending on price of course I would be interested in some IPSC targets. Preferably 2/3 (A/C zone) ones.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville

corey d

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Louisiana
    It would suprise me. And I would probably ask for a refund because he says he water jets them.

I wouldn't be afraid to bet that any company that sells steel targets plasma cuts them. Water jetting is pretty expensive. Im not sure if the machine costs more to run, but it takes 3 times as long to cut parts vs plasma. i don't think you should ask for a refund, but I know The Target Man and Tac-Strike plasma cut theirs. Both of them use a water table, so the metal stays relatively cool. Our machine has a water table, and even when the metal isn't touching the water, our parts are almost cool enough to handle with ungloved hands right after they are cut. So, while plasma cutting may do something to the hardness of the metal, I don't think it does enough to matter, but im no metallurgist.

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Depending on price of course I would be interested in some IPSC targets. Preferably 2/3 (A/C zone) ones.

We'll have to agree on a thickness, and as with anything the price will be affected by the amount of targets we would have done at the same time. The more we get the cheaper it'll be.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I wouldn't be afraid to bet that any company that sells steel targets plasma cuts them. Water jetting is pretty expensive. Im not sure if the machine costs more to run, but it takes 3 times as long to cut parts vs plasma. i don't think you should ask for a refund, but I know The Target Man and Tac-Strike plasma cut theirs. Both of them use a water table, so the metal stays relatively cool. Our machine has a water table, and even when the metal isn't touching the water, our parts are almost cool enough to handle with ungloved hands right after they are cut. So, while plasma cutting may do something to the hardness of the metal, I don't think it does enough to matter, but im no metallurgist.

Rob just told me again he water jets. It's important because I use mine commercially and if the Industry Standard is Water Jet departing from it makes my targets sub-standard.

Top Bottom