Do signs have the force of law?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deerslayer440

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 27, 2017
    Sulphur
    Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Ask any judge. And it seems there are many ignorant people carrying firearms.

woeeeeee woooooeeeee ,settle down peter piper.

They just asked for you to show us the actual ,so called law,your referring too.I have
    never seen any law,
    state or federal that would hold true to what your saying:(..

Just show us the actual law,thats all they asking for,no reason to go name calling and acting
    crazy.We just common ol folk here:)

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Wrong. Those having a permit must have forgot their training. You would be charged with carrying in a prohibited place. It is very specific and should be honored. You can wine about it like a snowflake but the laws are the law and you should honor it and keep yourself informed. You might also be charged with trsspassing.

Can you supply the law that supports your opinion? Also, where did you go to get your permit that informed you of what you are stating?

Edit to add: Before telling people they are "whining about laws like a snowflake" and that they "should honor [the law] and keep [themselves] informed," I would urge you to read the actual law instead of solely relying upon the word and/or opinion of one singular person teaching a class.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Ask any judge. And it seems there are many ignorant people carrying firearms.

Speak for yourself, buddy. You can't just sit here and call us snowflakes and then not produce something factual to back up your statement.

Please show us the law.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Wrong. Those having a permit must have forgot their training. You would be charged with carrying in a prohibited place. It is very specific and should be honored. You can wine about it like a snowflake but the laws are the law and you should honor it and keep yourself informed. You might also be charged with trsspassing.

Can you please point me to the law. My understanding is in Louisiana the no guns sign does not have a statute.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Rule 10: False Claims

Many of our members are military veterans or law enforcement, and as such we have great respect for these communities. We have had issues in the past with users falsely claiming to have been members of these communities, and as such we will require anyone making said claims to provide proof of service. Failure to provide proof of service after making claims will result in an immediate ban of the user's account.

Furthermore, this rule need not apply only to law enforcement or veterans. Anyone making claims that prove to be false that could potentially be detrimental to the forum or its user-base will be removed. An example is claiming to be a lawyer and issuing legal advice.

Just a FYI. I'd like the copy of the law by end of day, today, central standard time. Thanks.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    The law is RS 40:1379.3 Section O and those that have a permit " The La. Concealed Handgun Permit Book" Laws and Rules Section N and O. Have someone read it to you.

I'll quote that to save people trouble:

O. The provisions of Subsection N of this Section shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

Where does that state that it is ILLEGAL to ignore those signs or NOT get consent?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    The law is RS 40:1379.3 Section O and those that have a permit " The La. Concealed Handgun Permit Book" Laws and Rules Section N and O. Have someone read it to you.

Also, just a heads up: Only laws that are state statutes are laws. A handbook, brochure, web-page, or speech by an instructor or even the state police are all about as meaningful as a coloring book, from a legal perspective.

Section O that you are quoting just says that the statute doesn't prohibit a person from prohibiting people based on having a weapon. If a business owner, landowner, or homeowner does prohibit someone from being in or on their property for ANY reason, the legal penalty for violating their wishes is trespassing (and/or remaining after forbidden). It is illegal to trespass (being on land without permission). Legally, if you went into a store and the owner told you that you needed to leave for having a weapon on you, and you didn't, the law would say that you are "remaining after forbidden." That is against the LAW. If you came back, you'd then be trespassing AND remaining after forbidden.

With that being said, NO Louisiana law says that ignoring the signs are against the law.

If a store has a sign that says you cannot enter if you are wearing a bright pink shirt, that is within their legal right. If you ignore it, you are within your legal right. No crime is committed.

The owner (or designee of the owner) would have to tell you to leave (because they don't like your shirt). If you choose not to leave, you are breaking the law. If you leave, no crime was committed. The exact same applies for prohibiting weapons. A store owner may put up a sign, but you do not have to legally follow the sign. You might not even see the sign. That is how Louisiana law works. Texas is different.

Does that make sense?

Stop calling people names when you are the one that is in the wrong here. I won't hit you with a warning for breaking forum rules, which you did because I think that you actually believed what you were stating to be true. I urge you to take some time and ponder what has been provided - ie, the actual Louisiana law. Please don't spew your ignorance to others as it is only detrimental to the shooting community that we strive to constantly make better.

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

O. The provisions of Subsection N of this Section shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

I don’t see anything about a sign on a business talked about.

Last edited:

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    I'll quote that to save people trouble:

Where does that state that it is ILLEGAL to ignore those signs or NOT get consent?

It seems Austin that your trying to give legal advice. Are you the lawyer this time? I've presented you the law and Statute #

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    It seems Austin that your trying to give legal advice. Are you the lawyer this time? I've presented you the law and Statute #

Read my next post (#32 in this thread). The statute you posted has NOTHING to do with signs. It doesn't even use the word sign anywhere in the law. It talks about people and their rights.

Deerslayer440

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 27, 2017
    Sulphur
    No,,it says that if a biz owner wants to not have anyone with a firearm on his property,he can
    justifiably ask so or post a sign.

It does not mean in any way,that any laws will be broken if a person does carry on that property.
    It just means the biz owner can ask them not to,and also may ask them to leave or put firearm in
    vehicle.

As austin is stating,it doesn't say anywhere that a permit holder has to adhere to signs at biz's that ask others to not carry a firearm on their property.Laws are very clear cut most of the time.If it doesn't state that they have to adhere in any booklet ,law,etc,then they don't!!!

Everyone is just saying ,,ol blue,that if someone did carry on a prohibited biz,no Federal or state
    laws will be broken.

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

You are very wrong sir. The business owner/worker will tell you to leave their premises. If you fail to comply with that and LE shows up then you can be charged with failing to leave premises/trespassing. It’s funny when people get all worked up and call people names when they are the ones that are wrong. I’m concerned about your inability to comprehend what you read and the apparent lack of knowledge of your CHP instructor. It might be in all of our best interest to ask you to seek another class before you continue to carry concealed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    You are very wrong sir. The business owner/worker will tell you to leave their premises. If you fail to comply with that and LE shows up then you can be charged with failing to leave premises/trespassing. It’s funny when people get all worked up and call people names when they are the ones that are wrong. I’m concerned about your inability to comprehend what you read and the apparent lack of knowledge of your CHP instructor. It might be in all of our best interest to ask you to seek another class before you continue to carry concealed.

I second the above statement.

Blue Diamond, where and who conducted your most recent class? I would like to reach out to him or her. Do you have any objection?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Alfred92
    Top Bottom