Do signs have the force of law?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    You are very wrong sir. The business owner/worker will tell you to leave their premises. If you fail to comply with that and LE shows up then you can be charged with failing to leave premises/trespassing. It’s funny when people get all worked up and call people names when they are the ones that are wrong. I’m concerned about your inability to comprehend what you read and the apparent lack of knowledge of your CHP instructor. It might be in all of our best interest to ask you to seek another class before you continue to carry concealed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was arrested 20+ years ago about this same subject in New Orleans. I was in a pawn shop browsing and was arrested,paid a hefty bail, a hefty lawyer, and a hefty fine. I was found guilty and the judge explained to me that little 4"x6" sign on the bottom of the door was there for a reason. The sign is your warning and entering is forbidden. No one has to ask you to leave. My permit was revoked for three years.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I was arrested 20+ years ago about this same subject in New Orleans. I was in a pawn shop browsing and was arrested,paid a hefty bail, a hefty lawyer, and a hefty fine. I was found guilty and the judge explained to me that little 4"x6" sign on the bottom of the door was there for a reason. The sign is your warning and entering is forbidden. No one has to ask you to leave. My permit was revoked for three years.

What exactly were you charged with?

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany

What were you charged with?

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

Hey anythings possible in New Orleans lol. But what exactly was the charge?

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    I am not really sure. There was a bunch of numbers and it was closer to 30 years and I don't have the minutes of the court to prove to you. So I guess it really didn't happen. Signing off for the day. Let Austin conclude the OP and lets end this thread. Its been interesting. I'm sure it will pop up again sometime soon. It usually does.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    I am not really sure. There was a bunch of numbers and it was closer to 30 years and I don't have the minutes of the court to prove to you. So I guess it really didn't happen. Signing off for the day. Let Austin conclude the OP and lets end this thread. Its been interesting. I'm sure it will pop up again sometime soon. It usually does.

Don't do drugs.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    So possibly an unlawful arrest happened and you don’t even know what the charge was? I’m sure the lawyer and yourself must have talked in length about the law you supposedly broke. I find it hard to believe you don’t remember what you were charged with. We don’t need the statute, just what law he told you.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

Should be easy to remember being the charge has to be listed on every CHP renewal since then.

Last edited:

Gary Slider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    You all got me searching my notes on how I came to put Yes for gun signs having the force of law in Louisiana. I didn't put down why I put Yes. I do have a note I talked to someone in the Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit Unit but didn't put a name down about this issue. That was in 2011. To long ago for me to remember it as I talk to a lot of people in different states. Handgunlaw.us kept getting this question over the years and I thought about adding if for a couple years before I did. Laws don't spell everything out and case law has a hug impact on statutes. Rereading the statutes I believe they would have to ask you to leave as they don't have a statute stating anything about signs. But then I ask myself why I put Yes. If Unsure I would have put unsure and waited for more information. So looking at it again. I would appreciate any feedback you can give me on this issue. Sending any feedback to admins@handgunlaw.us would be best for me as I can miss PM's on this board and I look at a lot of different boards.

The only thing in the law that rings a bell for me is

RS 40:1379.3 . . . . No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

I remember that part. So if you go into anyone home you have to ask first if it is OK to enter with your firearm. If you don't ask and get an OK then you are in violation of a Statute. So Looking at this issue again. Thanks everyone for your input. Very much appreciated so far and hope to hear more.

Stay Safe, Gary Slider
    Co-Owner www.handgunlaw.us

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I looked on the Louisiana attorney general's website for any opinions that may have been issued in this manner and did not see any.

It states on their website that they do not issue opinions to individuals. A request has to come from an elected official either on the parish, city or state level.

I am going to reach out to my local councilman to see if I can get him to request an opinion on this and hopefully clear it up.

Gary, thank you for what you do with your website. While this particular issue maybe a little confusing, I found your site to be very informative. Like I said in my original post, I'll be traveling through several states next month and wanted to familiarize myself with the various laws. I don't have the time or money to be a test subject in any laws so I'm going to use what I learned from your website and err on the side of caution.

Thanks again.

Sent from the Bayou Bunker Command Center, Portable Unit #33, FEMA Region 6.

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Has anyone looked up when the state started CHP’s. I don’t think it was 30yrs ago. That might explain why he wAs arrested for carrying concealed

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Has anyone looked up when the state started CHP’s. I don’t think it was 30yrs ago. That might explain why he wAs arrested for carrying concealed

September 20, 1996, as published in the Louisiana Register of September in 1996. Starts at page 844 for anyone interested (PDF page 79).

http://www.doa.la.gov/osr/REG/1996/September.pdf

If he got arrested 30 years ago, it wasn't with a Louisiana CHP.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    September 20, 1996, as published in the Louisiana Register of September in 1996. Starts at page 844 for anyone interested (PDF page 79).

http://www.doa.la.gov/osr/REG/1996/September.pdf

If he got arrested 30 years ago, it wasn't with a Louisiana CHP.

So he was illegally carrying a weapon, not just in a store. Sounds like there is more to this story that we will probably never know.

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area

There are four things that I read out of this statement.
    1. Was he open carrying or concealed?
    2. If concealed, how did they see his weapon so that he was arrested.
    3. Since it was that long ago and there were no state permits at that time, it had to be a parish permit which is only valid in the parish in which it was issued.
    4. If was a New Orleans parish permit, it may have been written into the rules of it to not go into a place of business that had a sign.
    I have no idea what all parishes issued permits at that time, but he said his was revoked for three years, hence obviously a parish permit.
    This is based on this arrest happening before 9/1996.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Alfred92
    Top Bottom