Does anyone here use Amsoil?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Maybe. But also my "regular" change is 12 months on the truck, much more on the Mustang.

Any oil should be fine for 12 months. It's the breakdown of the base stocks (shearing) and the pH (TBN) change as well as the depletion of wear adatives and in your case, maybe fuel content if you are running forged pistons and have rings gapped for spray, etc.

Synthetics are change yearly, too.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Dependent on both the quality of the filter and how the oil and additives package reacts to contaminates. Plus as I mentioned your 3000 miles vs my 25,000 miles. :p

Yeah, in your truck...how many quarts of oil is that?

Diesel's have been using Rotella T (non-synthetic) for decades and it does very well.

The only thing "Synthetic" has to offer are more uniformly sized molecules so that the oil is more resistant to shearing down to a lower weight. Most "Synthetics" are just hydrocracked group III oils or a Group III and group IV mixture, etc. They still do just fine.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Yeah, in your truck...how many quarts of oil is that?

Diesel's have been using Rotella T (non-synthetic) for decades and it does very well.

The only thing "Synthetic" has to offer are more uniformly sized molecules so that the oil is more resistant to shearing down to a lower weight. Most "Synthetics" are just hydrocracked group III oils or a Group III and group IV mixture, etc. They still do just fine.

It's a Titan. Only the "XL" line in Amsoil is the sort of synthetic like Castrol. AFAIK Mobil 1 is a full synthetic as well with a PAO base.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    It's a Titan. Only the "XL" line in Amsoil is the sort of synthetic like Castrol. AFAIK Mobil 1 is a full synthetic as well with a PAO base.

The only Group IV Castrol is the 0-30 European Formula. I used to run it in my WS6 because it would burn anything else off that I tried due to the low tension oil rings, etc. that GM hadn't perfected yet.

I thought you meant a diesel, my fault. Yes, if you want extended drain intervals, synthetic is the way to go, but make sure your air-filter is installed perfectly before pulling those, and get UOA's to make sure you are G2G.

On my WS6, even though I ran group IV, I changed it every 4K miles. On the Z06, it's once a year because it only sees a few hundred miles a month or so. I just don't see a point in running an oil that long because of the chances of contaminants, not necessarily breakdown.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I only use WIX.

Dirty is dirty no matter what kind of oil you use.

I used WIX as well, then went with K&N. I liked the socket attachment and the holes leading to the filter media were also large, like in the WIX. With the 'vette, I just let them run the OEM filter/oil. I figure if they think it will work for 100K miles, and Spring Mountain beats on their cars for 12-14K miles in 100* Vegas heat, it should do fine for my cruising, lol

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Personal preference, I like the added protection that the syns give, but then again I'm a car guy and really take good care of my things to get the most out of them, besides I do all my own work and maintenance and I like getting more mileage in between intervs. If you really want to know how your oil has been holding up, collect a sample and have it tested. I do one once a year, it's only $25, and tells you what's going on inside the engine.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Personal preference, I like the added protection that the syns give, but then again I'm a car guy and really take good care of my things to get the most out of them, besides I do all my own work and maintenance and I like getting more mileage in between intervs. If you really want to know how your oil has been holding up, collect a sample and have it tested. I do one once a year, it's only $25, and tells you what's going on inside the engine.

Running non-synthetic doesn't mean the car isn't being cared for just as well. The fact is, engines are the last things to die in a car now days, regardless of the swill in the crank-case, as long as it is changed regularly. My philosophy is to just run what came in the car. With all the 5/100, etc warranties, they wouldn't put crap in it if they figured it would come back on them at 80K miles.

I have owned cars with nearly 200K miles on them that never saw a drop of synthetic, and they did just fine engine-wise. One was a Trans AM that some guy beat on so hard that he grenaded the tq converter and sheared the left axle off on, (neutral drops?). I drained what looked like black syrup from that oil pan when I got the car at 149K miles. Did 3 oil-changes at 500 mile intervals, and then went to 3K. 10-30GTX is what I used. The car made it to 170K miles and the engine was rock solid. I sold it at that point.

FWIW, here is part of the e-mail I got today from Onstar on the Z:

Vehicle Maintenance
    No required maintenance due at this time.

Remaining Oil Life: 75%
    Mileage: 3,790
    Based on oil life and mileage readings, next required maintenance estimated at 15,400 miles.

Last edited:

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Fact is Synthetics>non-synthetics, but I understand what your saying if I daily drove a G20 with high mileage, I would go the inexpensive route too. But it is all about personal preference also. Sounds like you have a C6 Z06, you wouldn't use regular non-syn oil in it. Right?

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Fact is Synthetics>non-synthetics, but I understand what your saying if I daily drove a G20 with high mileage, I would go the inexpensive route too. But it is all about personal preference also. Sounds like you have a C6 Z06, you wouldn't use regular non-syn oil in it. Right?

I would if that's what came in it. However, the guys up at Wixom saw fit to run DEXOS-1 Cert. Mobil 1 5-30 in it. That is what is run in it. Along with the OEM filter. Dealership service only, as the maintenance records are worth the price of admission.

I ran the same oil in my G20 for a bit, but grew tired of dumping $60 into the thing every time I changed the oil, and it uses about 1qt per 2500 miles or so, regardless of what I put in it, and really, I just got fed up with that. I change the oil when it looks dark, and I run 10-30 GTX because my Dad traded with a guy and got a few cases of it. I still run a WIX or K&N filter, though.

Yes, synthetic oil > non-synthetic, I agree, but the engine is going to outlive the rest of the car and be running strong when the transmission, suspension, electronics, and all that jazz are toast.

In my 1995 Trans Am: Transmission, axle (previous owner). Engine was fine, ran on regular "on-sale" oil and rarely changed if when I got it was any indication.

My 2001 Trans Am: Rear-end, T/O bearing, clutch hydraulics, 2 sets of axles and wheel-bearings, numerous electronics, water-pump. Engine was fine at 150K miles

In my 2002 G20: Transmission, motor mounts (all, some x2), both CV boots, radiator. All have died. Engine uses a bit of oil but is otherwise fine. No clue what it saw for 110K miles before I got it, but service history at the dealership that could be pulled was very minimal.

You just don't see engines wearing out before the rest of the car now days. Unless something went wrong in the manufacturing/assembly process or you cranked the boost up or hit it with a 200 shot or something, it just doesn't seem to happen.

I get what you are saying and I felt better running 0-30GC in my WS6, too. When you like something it feels good to take care of it. However, I could not TECHNICALLY defend my decision to put 0-30GC in that car.

threexcharm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2011
    Tangipahoa Parish
    I have been using Amsoil in my truck, car, and bike for 10 (or more) years. Their price does increase too often but I still use it cause I consider it a good product. I shared a few e-mails with a petroleum engineer out of Borne Texas that worked for a company that performed oil analysis for fleet trucking companies. His brand of choice was Mobil 1. He also had positive comments about Rotella. I asked him what he thought about Amsoil. His response was, "Amsoil is good s%&t". You have to watch some of Amsoil's claims.Their absolute efficiency oil filters were guaranteed for 25,000 mile use until they began to plug up on some vehicles. Now they are good for 15,000 miles. They use to have a Signature Series oil that was good for 35,000 miles. Now that has changed to 25,000. I think sometimes their products have difficulty backing up their hype. I still think the stuff is first class, I just don't waste my time absorbing their propaganda. My wife drives 42,000 miles a year and I drive 28,000 miles a year. I got tired of doing the 3,000 mile thing. I was under a car just about every week. Not any more.

Last edited:

Edmond

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Ft. Polk
    Yes, prices would be very competitive. What I've done in the past is have it shipped directly to the customer from Amsoil.

I usually do 2 oil changes a year, one before summer and one before winter. I've used it to 17k miles before in a Denali without any issues. Not saying everyone else should do that.

I'm not the type that's going to try to sell it hard on people, I'm not that type of guy. I just enjoy using premium fluids in my car.

My car is a 2003 Z06.

Edmond

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Ft. Polk
    I'm going to go ahead and become a sponsor.

Amsoil is also great for businesses that put a lot of use on their vehicles.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I put the cheapest oil available in my truck, and run a WIX filter. I change it whenever I get the chance, somewhere around 7,000 miles. I've literally driven the **** out of this truck - it will not break.

To all the dino oil haters, it's currently got 204,892 miles :D

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I put the cheapest oil available in my truck, and run a WIX filter. I change it whenever I get the chance, somewhere around 7,000 miles. I've literally driven the **** out of this truck - it will not break.

To all the dino oil haters, it's currently got 204,892 miles :D

What kind of truck is it?

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Running non-synthetic doesn't mean the car isn't being cared for just as well. The fact is, engines are the last things to die in a car now days, regardless of the swill in the crank-case, as long as it is changed regularly. My philosophy is to just run what came in the car. With all the 5/100, etc warranties, they wouldn't put crap in it if they figured it would come back on them at 80K miles.

Exactly, your car will be fine until 101k miles.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    So to all the guys putting up big numbers between oil changes...

Are you changing the filter more frequently than the oil? Or does 1 filter last the life of the oil?

Top Bottom