Dog breeder???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I know his mind is made up and he hasn't asked for breed recommendations but I'd choose a Working Strain Belgian Malinois or Dutch Shepherd. If more size and intimidation are required in a hot environment then I'd look for a Working Strain (Scott bloodline) American Bulldog - preferably from hog hunting stock. But that's just me.

I also have no issues with crossbreeds if done knowledgeably. An example: Catahoula + gamebred Pit Bull crossed into a Scott working American Bulldog (hog hunting strain). The result would be a lighter boned "bulldog" with a better nose and harder than the American Bulldog - not to mention more agile and with more endurance. Just an example for a hard, fast hunting/kill dog or farm dog.

If it is a purebred Scott AB it will have some APBT blood from the earlier crosses.
    That is why they do not look like a purebred Johnson AB.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If it is a purebred Scott AB it will have some APBT blood from the earlier crosses.
    That is why they do not look like a purebred Johnson AB.

Actually, the Johnson dogs are the mixed ones. Supposedly, what we call the American Bulldog is the "original" Bulldog used to fight bears, bulls and whatnot in England. Johnson admitted crossing other breeds into his stock - and it shows (if you buy into the theory proposed).

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Actually, the Johnson dogs are the mixed ones. Supposedly, what we call the American Bulldog is the "original" Bulldog used to fight bears, bulls and whatnot in England. Johnson admitted crossing other breeds into his stock - and it shows (if you buy into the theory proposed).

Johnson stated with Bulldogs and mixed until he developed what is now referred to as the AB and used the APBT as one of the breeds.
    The Scott BL dogs have a much higher percentage of APBT and it is obvious.
    Many breeds were developed by crossing until the breeder developed what he wanted and was able to repeat it.

Top Bottom