Dpms Oracle good enough?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    think they were all marked other but can't check now as the FFL I used to transfer them is out of business. That's okay though because I was going to SBR my extra lower anyways.

ARifleman1982

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    think they were all marked other but can't check now as the FFL I used to transfer them is out of business. That's okay though because I was going to SBR my extra lower anyways.

You will need to look into that before hand. You will probably have to leave the lower with the ffl while waiting on the stamp to clear. I know there is a waiting period for a stamp when purchasing a complete SBR build. Not exactly sure how it works when you already own the lower.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    So I pulled the trigger (pun intended) .
    Went to Bass Pro and they offered me 10% to open a credit card. So it was cheaper to buy in person than to saved on sales tax. So for looks good trigger feels fine. I'm sure its no match grade gun but it seems like a good option for me.

Been scratching my chin on iron sights vs red dot. As a main source for aiming. Obiously I'm cheap so we arn't talking anything fancy. I have a couple scopes I could shuffle around but primarily this will be a close quarters/short range defensive weapon. I would like to be able to quickly plop on my glass and reach out a touch something without re-zeroing. This makes me lean towards irons but I can't decide.

Last edited:

ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    If your new to the ar world I would get some irons, and get proficient using them, then upgrade to something else down the road. Irons aren't great in low light but it's a skill that needs to learned in my opinion.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    So I pulled the trigger (pun intended) .
    Went to Bass Pro and they offered me 10% to open a credit card. So it was cheaper to buy in person than to saved on sales tax. So for looks good trigger feels fine. I'm sure its no match grade gun but it seems like a good option for me.

Been scratching my chin on iron sights vs red dot. As a main source for aiming. Obiously I'm cheap so we arn't talking anything fancy. I have a couple scopes I could shuffle around but primarily this will be a close quarters/short range defensive weapon. I would like to be able to quickly plop on my glass and reach out a touch something without re-zeroing. This makes me lean towards irons but I can't decide.

First, opening a credit card with bass pro to save $50 is silly.
    Second, you are NEVER going to "plop on" an optic and have it perfect. Even with a LaRue QD mount, you will have to fine tune it back to true zero.

Your definition of cheap and my definition of cheap are two different things. It sounds like you need to research these topics a lot more and get some solid information, preferably from more than one source.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    If your new to the ar world I would get some irons, and get proficient using them, then upgrade to something else down the road. Irons aren't great in low light but it's a skill that needs to learned in my opinion.

I have heard this statement before what is the deal with this? I've shot off of irons since I was 3 years old, but I have a feeling its not the same.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    First, opening a credit card with bass pro to save $50 is silly.
    Second, you are NEVER going to "plop on" an optic and have it perfect. Even with a LaRue QD mount, you will have to fine tune it back to true zero.

Your definition of cheap and my definition of cheap are two different things. It sounds like you need to research these topics a lot more and get some solid information, preferably from more than one source.

$50 is $50 its not like it wont be paid off befor interest accrues. Penny saved is a penny earned. So 50,000 pennys is...

I guess I said that wrong about the scope. I guess I want to drop a scope on after preveiously zeroing it and hit my target.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    $50 is $50 its not like it wont be paid off befor interest accrues. Penny saved is a penny earned. So 50,000 pennys is...

I guess I said that wrong about the scope. I guess I want to drop a scope on after preveiously zeroing it and hit my target.

My point is, if you wanted to save $50, you could have easily bought it at the same price, or cheaper, online and paid a $15 transfer. The $50 you saved, went towards paying taxes that you don't have to pay if you buy online...

You can zero the irons and add a scope, then zero the scope. A scope will not affect your irons.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    My point is, if you wanted to save $50, you could have easily bought it at the same price, or cheaper, online and paid a $15 transfer. The $50 you saved, went towards paying taxes that you don't have to pay if you buy online...

You can zero the irons and add a scope, then zero the scope. A scope will not affect your irons.

Thing is most places online were asking $599. And the cheapest I had found was more than what I paid out the door and that included buying my little girl a stuffed animal for being so good. Plus I had the added benefit of shaking hands with the guy who sold it to me. I know that probably seems silly but at the end of thd day my old school ways didnt really cost me anything execept some gas.

And ive got sense enough to know irons dont affect your scope and scopes dont affect your irons. So long as one doesnt touch the other.

I know some of you guys like irons and I do too. The batteries don't go out and the lenses never have any issues because they are irons.

What I dont like is my **** poor eyesight, so I like to magnify things when I can But you dont want a magnifier when you expect targets inside of 50 feet and as I mentioned I want this gun to be our primary HD gun.

What i would like to do with one of my scopes is mount it, site it, zero it. Enjoy for an afternoon. Make witness marks with a pencile to make sure it it all goes back the way it came, then loosen the clamps, carefully remove the scope and store the scope away for the next time I want to use it. When I want to use the scope I want to mount it, and shoot the gun and hit what I'm aiming for. I'm not looking for real long range accuracy with this arrangement but if I could take down a coyote or hog at 200+ yards I would be pretty happy.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    What i would like to do with one of my scopes is mount it, site it, zero it. Enjoy for an afternoon. Make witness marks with a pencile to make sure it it all goes back the way it came, then loosen the clamps, carefully remove the scope and store the scope away for the next time I want to use it. When I want to use the scope I want to mount it, and shoot the gun and hit what I'm aiming for. I'm not looking for real long range accuracy with this arrangement but if I could take down a coyote or hog at 200+ yards I would be pretty happy.

What you want, doesn't exist.

No scope mount will allow you to remove the scope, after zeroing, and replace it later on with the exact same zero. You will still have to adjust it.

The closest you will get, is a LaRue mount, and those are in the $200 range, for the mount only.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Thing is most places online were asking $599. And the cheapest I had found was more than what I paid out the door and that included buying my little girl a stuffed animal for being so good. Plus I had the added benefit of shaking hands with the guy who sold it to me. I know that probably seems silly but at the end of thd day my old school ways didnt really cost me anything execept some gas.

And ive got sense enough to know irons dont affect your scope and scopes dont affect your irons. So long as one doesnt touch the other.

I know some of you guys like irons and I do too. The batteries don't go out and the lenses never have any issues because they are irons.

What I dont like is my **** poor eyesight, so I like to magnify things when I can But you dont want a magnifier when you expect targets inside of 50 feet and as I mentioned I want this gun to be our primary HD gun.

What you could do is get a good red dot that co-witnesses with your irons and then place a flip to side magnifier behind it. It will make the top kind of bulky looking but it would work with how you want it. Try to get the smallest MOA dot you can as the magnifier will make it larger.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    What you want, doesn't exist.

No scope mount will allow you to remove the scope, after zeroing, and replace it later on with the exact same zero. You will still have to adjust it.

The closest you will get, is a LaRue mount, and those are in the $200 range, for the mount only.

I think we may be gitting hung up on zeroed vs good enough. Maybe I'm off base

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    That's comical.

I dont get it whats comical? Good enough is good enough. Hunting rifles get knocked around get knocked off of true zero but deer still get slayed. Heck I killed a deer with my 30-06 and scope that had only been bore-sighted. That deer didnt seem to mind that I was about 6 inches when he fell in his tracks. 75yard shot barrel resting on the opening of the shoot house. I know I know but the deer is dead and has long been eaten. I've been successful with my scoped muzzle loader in the past to. We zeroed the scope once and the rings attached to the scope are removed from the gun each time it is cleaned.

Look I dont proclaim to be the best shot in the world or know a whole lot about guns or much else for that matter. But I have found often people make things out to be a lot more than they have to be.

I read a review just now on an NC Star mount (on the cheap end) where the gun was "zeroed" scope mount removed and reinstalled and after reinstalation it continued to maintain 2.5 inches at 100yards. Sounds deadly to me.

Last edited:

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Most would consider LaRue and ADM to be the best QD mounts on the market. Both may be removed and reinstalled with a shift in point of impact that is negligible for your purposes.

In terms of optics, you might explore variable scopes in the the 1-4x or 1-6x range. These are not uncommon options for the AR platform, and are favored among competition shooters.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Most would consider LaRue and ADM to be the best QD mounts on the market. Both may be removed and reinstalled with a shift in point of impact that is negligible for your purposes.

In terms of optics, you might explore variable scopes in the the 1-4x or 1-6x range. These are not uncommon options for the AR platform, and are favored among competition shooters.

That's the nice way to put it :mamoru:

We're already past page 2, so it's ok if we go full retard and discuss magnified optics for home defense :rofl:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Lighten up, buddy.

You'd be A-OK with irons and you got your answer for a QD scope mount.
    You already know what you want to do, so I don't see why you're asking us.

Top Bottom