Duck huntin'

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Let me END this right here.

Turn up your volume and press play.

Discussion Over/

After watching that vid Hitman I am so jacked for duck hunting season!!!! I think I could actually feel the recoil of their shotgun's in my shoulder. The smile that was growing on my face as I watched it was huge!!! :draw::noes::run::hi5::draw:

Good post! I was grinning ear to ear once they started popping off shots. :D I'm hoping I can get away from my crazy school schedule coming up for at least one weekend hunt at the 1st or 2nd split.

Don't need all that fancy stuff. Blue jeans a green/tan shirt and be still. remember they shot five Billion passenger pigeons to extinction without a single piece of CAMO.

Agreed. I layer up with whatever I have and put a plain jane camo shirt and jacket on over it all and then strap up my waders. All the Under armour, drake, etc stuff is nice but definitely not necessary. Hell we usually puck up a few boxes of kent high brass steel shot and get them just fine with that. 2 3/4 inch for the first two shells and a 3 incher comes up last just in case. I'll probably never buy the $25+ a box black cloud shells. Just don't need them.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    I've always enjoyed duck hunting, but bow hunting has taken a close second to bass fishing. Nothin like humping in your gear on your back for the next day and walking out with a trophy (hopefully) that night.

I'm from Vermilion Parish which has duck paradise spread all across it. +1 to ducks +2 to bow hunting with a climbing stand.

speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    You're right, there is no need to. But that doesn't make them not worth the money ;) Not implying you said that just making a point. Did you see this discussion last week on the topic?
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?112950

I'll be honest...I read that thread the other day up until you posted all the shot weights and pellet counts and yaddayadda. I just went back and read it all (since I'm laying back on the couch and have the focus too ;) ) and you make some really good points. One day when I feel like spending the coin I'll probably give them a shot and see how my shot/kill ratio turns out.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I'll be honest...I read that thread the other day up until you posted all the shot weights and pellet counts and yaddayadda. I just went back and read it all (since I'm laying back on the couch and have the focus too ;) ) and you make some really good points. One day when I feel like spending the coin I'll probably give them a shot and see how my shot/kill ratio turns out.

But if they do their job,
    you'll be spending the same amount of money.

Better hit ratio, less shells used, more dead ducks etc etc.

So Instead of shooting two boxes of $14 Kent Steel @ $28
    You may only shoot one box or less of Blindside @ $24

See? :D

Sully

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Sulphur
    I'll shoot 2 3/4 6 shot at big ducks...and yes it works. In fact I had some low brass pheasant load I shot for teal season and at the end of big duck season and I was very pleased....leading a duck takes experience

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    low brass pheasant load I shot for teal season
    Illegal for waterfowl! :nono:

Well there is two things to address here.

1 - He said Low brass, not Lead Shot.
    2 - I'm not sure if the shells he shot are actually low brass,
    but it's not the DRAM EQ that makes it unlawful to shoot at waterfowl.

EMP what he's talking about is Pheasant Shot. KENT and REM both make Steel(or lead Free) Shot
    in the #6 & # 7½ Shot Range.

Examples;
    2-3/4" #6 Steel 1 oz. Kent
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/77850

2-3/4" #7 Steel 1 oz. Kent
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/82440

2-3/4" Lead Free #7 1-1/8 Oz Hevi-Shot
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/3-0311993

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Well there is two things to address here.

1 - He said Low brass, not Lead Shot.
    2 - I'm not sure if the shells he shot are actually low brass,
    but it's not the DRAM EQ that makes it unlawful or not to shoot at waterfowl.

EMP what he's talking about is Pheasant Shot. KENT and REM both make Steel(or lead Free) Shot
    in the #6 & # 7½ Shot Range.

Examples;
    2-3/4" #6 Steel 1 oz. Kent
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/77850

2-3/4" #7 Steel 1 oz. Kent
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/82440

2-3/4" Lead Free #7 1-1/8 Oz Hevi-Shot
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/3-0311993

I will admit, I haven't had to shop for Waterfowl loads in quite some time, so if they are now making "lead-free low brass" I did not know. It doesn't make any sense to make a lead free field load, but that's me.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I will admit, I haven't had to shop for Waterfowl loads in quite some time, so if they are now making "lead-free low brass" I did not know. It doesn't make any sense to make a lead free field load, but that's me.

Yea....that's one I'm not going to be able to answer :dunno:

They don't sale a whole lot of it that's for sure. I mean lead is generally faster and patterns way better than steel.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Growing up I enjoyed hunting rabbits with our pack of beagles in the 80's. Back then we did not have the number of deer we do today. People would let us hunt their land especially the old farmers. Then more deer made their way in and people started hunting them instead. I look back on those times and they are some of the best memories I have of those that have passed.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Yes, they do make low-brass steel shot.

Some of the state WMAs, for example, have certain areas where using lead shot is forbidden. The Yakey Farms area at the former Red River WMA is one of them. Why would you need it? Well, there are usually quite a few snipe that frequent these type of wet areas, for one thing....Snipe hunting can be fun. Real fun. But I wouldn't waste my high-brass waterfowl shells on them.... :)

But I'll say this: The snipe-version of "Bambi-Bites / Duck Bites" are really good. :thumbsup:

BIG1LOST

Displaced Montanan
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    Pineville
    well...when I get DUCKIN',it'll be from my jon-boat I guess,but 1st I need to get a duck gun of some kind,my 28 won't do and I guess at least a 3" to take advantage of all the diff. loads.Don't know what gun yet...,haven't had a "twice-barrel"(as a couple of my OLDER coon-ass in-laws say),in a long while,maybe an old Stevens 311,that'll put me in good with the in-laws 19 of the 21 of 'em shoot 311's,and 1 870 and 1 A-5.They invite me every year,maybe I'll go this year...,at 61 ,I'll be with the old guys(they have better food !)Wow......I'm gettin' excited!!!

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    We use the low brass light load #6's in steel for teal season. They have a crazy amount of pellets and get the job done. Also we bought a few cases for $60 each and still have plenty left. For big duck season we use Federal speed shok #2, 3 or 4 depending on how the ducks are acting. We havent paid more than $120 a case for them.

Top Bottom