EDC Gear Discussions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Feb 22, 2008
    Personally te smallest gun I want to carry is a Glock 19. At the same time I don't consider the 26 and 9 c pocket pistols so my statement doesn't apply to them.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    If I am going somewhere I can carry.

M&P9pro in one of my holsters
    A Fenix LD10 light
    Usually a Kershaw Leek, I have another Kershaw I carry sometimes, but I don't recall the name
    I keep a spare mag loaded for all of my pistols in my truck, sometimes I slip one in my pocket depending on where I am going.

If I know I will need a light, I bring a couple TK40's with me with spare batteries.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I don't have anything against RM, but he said he made custom holsters, and then refused to make one with a light because "it won't have retention"

And kydex loops that are not supported on both sides will break. Even the thick stuff will. I'm sure RM would replace it though.

I know people swear by them, just not my thing.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I don't have anything against RM, but he said he made custom holsters, and then refused to make one with a light because "it won't have retention"

And kydex loops that are not supported on both sides will break. Even the thick stuff will. I'm sure RM would replace it though.

I know people swear by them, just not my thing.

When you make a holster for a gun with a light you use the light for retention. If the light is mounted properly it shouldn't be a problem at all.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    My EDC
    G19 in a KDC Claw iwb holster
    Spyderco. Delica
    Streamlight Pro Tac 2L, I just replaced a lost Surefire E2D Defender, I miss that lite
    Spare mag
    iPhone
    Wallet. On my person

I keep a pygmy falcon II in the truck or on my bike( goes with me )
    Pins sharpie
    Rite in the rain tablet
    Para cord
    Duct tape
    Water bladder
    First aid. Scrapes, small cuts
    First aid. Major bleeds, thanks VG
    Spare change of clothes
    A couple chem lites
    Spare pistol and rifle mags
    Ear plugs
    Multi tool
    I think that's it

mnaylo3

Aug 28, 2011
    Gonzales, LA
    My EDC is still evolving, but here is the current state of affairs:
    EDC.jpg

-Belt is a 1.5" 5-stitch wilderness for IWB (because it wraps around the gun better), Ares Gear Ranger belt for OWB (because it's more stiff)
    -G26 in X-concealment c-series owb or PPS in Pure Kustom black ops pro (either IWB or OWB). Started with the PPS, growing into the G26, and now I'm considering moving to a G19 (because I hear Baton Rouge is kinda dangerous). I prefer kydex for various reasons, but Rocky at Pure Kustom works some voodoo with his leather making it very stiff without reinforcement
    -Spare mag for the glock in a glock sport pouch, spare mag for the PPS in a Barber leatherworks canted mag pouch (see reason above)
    -One (or two) of the knives above...I like spydercos...(find them useful constantly; as far as the spyderco preference, I just like their designs and think they nail the details)
    -Lum-tec 24hr watch or G-shock mudman set for 24hr display (because I work rotating shifts and 24hr watches make it easier to figure out what day it is)
    -Cardcase wallet with ID, credit cards, CHP, and a couple random items
    -Spare cash in a money clip (separate from the wallet so if I get mugged, throw the cash one way and run the other and still have my cards)
    -Zebra 701 pen (durable pen, writes great, good size).
    -Not pictured: one of two leatherman flashlights (one's a single AAA, one a single cr1223), truck keys, iphone that took the photo

Next thing for sure is a Jetbeam BC10 like I bought my Dad for Father's Day to replace the leatherman lights; that thing is awesome. I'm still searching for an IWB for the G26 (Rusty Sherrick summer special style and Secret City y12 didn't work for me), considering the comp-tac CTAC. Still looking for the right mag pouch for both guns; want something snap-on OWB, probably with a slight cant and a small footprint. TT gunleather makes exactly what I want, but I have a preference for kydex for it's stiffness. If TT's stuff is as stiff as my Pure Kustom rig that would work; anyone have any leather from TT that can advise me?

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Like I said, I have absolutely nothing against the guy. He runs a better business than SCW, that's for darn sure.

That is not the reason he gave me for a light bearing holster. I really wanted to try one out, but he refused because "it couldnt be done" and that's his prerogative.

I didn't mean to come across like he is punishing those with WMLs, he was just very short about it with me. Ad that's fine. It's his business, he can make anything he wants.

I don't like integral kydex loops because they eventually break from cycling it on / off your belt. Ive had it happen. It also prevents you from changing belt sizes or attachment types.

Like I said, nothing against him at all. But there is no comparing the quality of his product to SCW, if you can ever get one.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I think we are looking at it through different lenses, and in no way think the RM is of inferior quality.

I guess I should have added "For me" at the end of some of those sentences.

It did frustrate me he wouldnt try one with a light.

As far as belt size, I have seen some holsters (Not saying RM does it, as I have never tried it) jump the belt if not sized properly. Its less of a problem if you have your belt snug. I don't like integral kydex because it can break and also because I cannot change loop sizes or styles, for instance, if I change from OWB to IWB, or Overclip to C-clip

That is a personal preference thing though.

I wear IWB, and prefer a large pancake style holster as I feel it distributes the weight evenly, keeps the gun at the same angle and ride height consistently, and is just more comfortable.

I have two holsters (The exact same) setup, 1 IWB, the other OWB. I get the same drawstroke, position, etc between the two holsters. That means when I am training with an OWB (with higher round counts, IWB is just downright uncomfortable) its nearly the same. Its also the same if I am shooting a carbine, I don't have two holster setups, 1 drop leg, and 1 concealment, they are essentially the same thing.

It does come down to personal preference. I would give a RM another chance if he made one for my gun.

I think we agree on this, just from different perspectives.

SirIsaacNewton

Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I was just thinking. Does anyone carry readily accesible aspirin in their first aid kit? It seems like that would probably be the most likely event to encounter and I have never heard anyone mention carrying BC powder or aspirin that is readily accessible. Maybe in a cuts and band aid type of FA kit however I think a very accessible BC powder might be useful. Just a thought.

SpeedRacer

Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I do keep a general "boo boo" kit in my vehicles with aspirin, etc. I guess I never thought about that as part of my EDC, just part of being a parent. :D

Most of my med supplies are trauma focused. My trunk and bugout bags get the minimum, a TQ, gauze, Ace bandage and duct tape. I also have a more robust trauma kit that rides up front in the car, with two each of: TQ, Israeli bandage, gauze, QuikClot gauze, nasal airway, chest seal, and decomp needle as well as shears and a few other odds and ends. It's your standard issue trauma kit, just doubled up on a few items.

SirIsaacNewton

Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I do keep a general "boo boo" kit in my vehicles with aspirin, etc. I guess I never thought about that as part of my EDC, just part of being a parent. :D

Most of my med supplies are trauma focused. My trunk and bugout bags get the minimum, a TQ, gauze, Ace bandage and duct tape. I also have a more robust trauma kit that rides up front in the car, with two each of: TQ, Israeli bandage, gauze, QuikClot gauze, nasal airway, chest seal, and decomp needle as well as shears and a few other odds and ends. It's your standard issue trauma kit, just doubled up on a few items.

Yah I was just thinking about it while listening to a lecture on Sudden Cardiac Death. My first aid kit in my Bag is centered around Trauma as well but when I went looking through it I had no Aspirin. I guess if I could I would carry a defibrillator but since that isn't a possibility and aspirin has been shown to decrease mortality post ischemic cardiac events I figured I would mention it.

SpeedRacer

Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Yah I was just thinking about it while listening to a lecture on Sudden Cardiac Death. My first aid kit in my Bag is centered around Trauma as well but when I went looking through it I had no Aspirin. I guess if I could I would carry a defibrillator but since that isn't a possibility and aspirin has been shown to decrease mortality post ischemic cardiac events I figured I would mention it.

I hadn't thought about that aspect of it, but wouldn't know how/when to properly use it anyway. Sounds like a good addition though, I'll have to look more into it.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    May 18, 2009
    The suggestion to try a RM Lowrider remains one of the best pieces of info I've picked up here. It works really great for me- and this one holster works well for both my G19 AND my G36. I'm extremely happy with it.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    But he did; he made several, and AFAIK those are still in service on the street. What turned him off was the whining of a few, etc.

Here's the deal... he cannot keep up with orders for what he already offers. To properly "do" a light holster he would have to invest in time, trial & error, etc., before settling on a production model. He simply elects not to invest that time and effort.

He has done a couple of "one-off" projects for me (to include a holster for Nate when he was deployed last), and for other folks too. But a holster for a WML has to be just right; the few he made are working fine, but they caused him enough headache that he decided to bag the whole idea.

Roger, I get that, I don't know why he didnt tell me that. Glad to hear those are working well in the field. Its just not for me.

Top Bottom