F-150 or Tundra: WINNER CHOSEN

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    I have an '08 Tundra Crew Max 4x4 with the 5.7 v8. I love my truck and have had zero issues with it. The gas mileage sucks though. My driving style doesn't help. I'm lucky if I get 17 mpg combined. I only have to drive 6 miles to work an back though.
    I have the same truck. I average about 12-13. It only does about 15-15.5 on the interstate. I love the truck, though. I have right at 70K miles on it.

Matchgrade

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Red Stick
    Wanted a Tundra in 09. They wanted $34K for a base model extended cab with the large V8. I ended up buying the 09 Ford F150 SuperCrew with every option that I wanted and the 5.4 V8 for $7K less than the bare bones (no options) Tundra. I have been very happy with my choice. Mileage has been 17/20 for me. Love the Sync, love all the room, nice towing power, comfortable ride. No problems after 36K miles. The Tundra is a great truck, but you can get more for your money with the Ford.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I don't care for the interior layout of the Toyota. I agree with one of the poster's comments about the new model built in Texas hasn't been around long enough to really give an idea on customer satisfaction. I have a few friends that bought the Tundra prior to the 2006 generation, specifically because it was still all Japan. Neighbors own the new F-150, trading off their Silverado, and really like the Ford. They too looked at the Tundra, but price vs. features made them come back to the Ford each time. Buy american. Yes the Tundra is made in Texas, but the profits go overseas. My 2¢

Tundra was never made in Japan. They were built in Indiana.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    UAW supports Obama. UAW builds FORD trucks. Go with the Tundra. BTW - All Tundra's are built in Princeton, Indiana, USA by non UAW workers. So it is not UnAmerican to buy Toyota.

My Tundra came with a sticker on the back that said "Built in Texas by Texans" :confused:

So did mine.

All first gen Tundras were built in Indiana. Toyota later opened the Texas plant then combined them and now all Tundras are built in Texas.

But I still agree with CEHollier's point.

MonarchC88

Federal NewB
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 14, 2007
    Gonzales
    I've owned just about every truck on the market and my 2009, 2010 and 2011 Tundras surpass Ford in Power and quality no doubt.

I tow a large boat, 24' Formula and a 16'x7' Pro Pull cargo trailer often and have plenty of power to spare.

My 2011 crew cab TSS tundra keeps me happy, can't complain about the MPG because it is a huge truck, average 14mpg combined. Very smooth ride along with great throttle response.

Company Man

Teufel Hunden
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Kentwood
    I have owned chevy, Ford, Hummer & Toyota.
    Currently own 2 Fords and 1 Toyota.
    If you are looking for best overall & comfort with plenty of power & durability then the Tundra is the answer.
    But if you plan on towing, you would be better off saving money on gas with the Ford.
    My tundra is the 4 door Limited 4x4 version.
    I get a steady 16 mpg, if I pull a trailer then I get 8 mpg.

If I was buying another truck, I would look first at Toyota, then Ford or Chevy.

Col_Sanders

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Deridder
    I know you said no Dodges but the new Rams are awesome. I have a 2010 1500 and I absolutely love it. My dad has a 2010 F150 and every time he sees my truck I can see the jealousy all over his face. The ride and the interior are far better on the Ram, the Hemi sounds great, and it is fun to drive. I average 18mpg and mine is a 4x4 quad cab with the Hemi.

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    I am nowhere close to being a "car guy". I can do simple maintenance and that is it. For me an automobile is a fact of life that allows me to go places and do things. As long as it can haul what I want to haul and haul, tow what I want to tow, and will last me for a long time I'm happy.

I suggest you spend a day and read the specialty forums for both manufacturers. There are plenty out there. When I was shopping for a truck all the forums had plenty of threads bitching about stuff. However, it seemed to me that the domestics had more threads related to major, expensive stuff failing :eek3: and the japanese specific forums were full of whinning about minor crap and aesthetics. Needless to say I bought a Toyota. 3 years and 75k miles later I still have no regrets.

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    Went to some dealerships yesterday. I drove both the F-150 and the Tundra. Honestly, I'm not closer to making a decision as I really liked them both. I may need to do another test drive, as the two weren't quite matched up. The F-150 XLT was a V6 extended cab. The Tundra was a Double Cab with Work truck package with the 5.7 in it, instead of the 4.6.

I liked the interior of both. The Ford had much more knick-knacks. I couldn't care less about those. Honestly, I'd prefer a standard tranny with manual windows and door looks. But that's not going to happen in either of these trucks. The Ford drove VERY smoothly, and it was extremely quiet. I absolutely hated the blinker with that 3 click thing, and while the visibility was miles ahead of a Corolla, it wasn't as good as the Tundra.

I was so happy with the F150 though, I didn't even feel like driving the Tundra. But when I did, I hopped right in, and I drove it like I had owned it for years. It just fit me. I thought for sure it would be too big for me, but it just felt right. It had great power, and it felt way taller than the Ford. I did feel the bumps on West Esplanade a little more than I felt bumps in the Ford. Perhaps I felt more comfortable in the Tundra because I drive a Toyota already.

I'd like to have this truck in my hands by next weekend.

Decisions, decisions....

RedNeckRuger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    Get the Tundra. Then put a TRD Sway bar on the rear. And upgrade to Bilstein shocks all the way around. I have the TRD Sway bar on my truck and absolutely love it. My 6000# truck corners like a sports car. And it handle a helluva better in all around general driving. You may even be able to work out a deal when purchasing the truck.

ranrose1

RANROSE
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Greenwell Springs La
    i own a 2010 tundra with the 4.6 v8 and i couldnt be happier. I have a heavy foot and i still get 17 in town and 22-23 on hwy. for a big truck you cant ask for better. i did ride in my coworkers king ranch f150 and i will admit the ride was smooth and not quite as choppy as my tundra but then again a truck should ride like a truck. both will be a good choice although i am a toyota man all the way just my opinion but i think the quality of the parts are better. Best advice i can give you is to pray about it and see which one the Lord wants you to have!

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    I hated the blinker thing on the new fords too. I got used to it within a few weeks. The power of the ecoboost and the control I have with the 6speed transmission are what sold me on the ford.

deadidunn

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Hineston, LA
    I say go with Ford, between the fords and tundra's I've rode in, the Ford's have better room. Don't know if it applies to you, but I'm a bigger set person, about 250#, the Ford seats fit me better and tend to hurt less on long trips! I love my Ford!!

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    The Ford I drove was actually the 3.7 FFV engine, not the 3.5L Ecoboost. Still, it had a very nice acceleration, and a very smooth ride.

jmanrogers

SGT JMAN
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Alexandria
    No need to bash the Tundra! However, Ford has about 35+ years as the uncontested sales leader in the full-size truck market!

F-series trucks are far and away the top choice of companies who use, and thoroughly abuse, trucks for their business (construction, oilfield, highway departments, utilities, etc). I suspect that is what he meant by 'time proven'.

Top Bottom