Fall Sniper Challenge at Long Range Alley

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    So who else has signed up? I put my depost down yesterday. I recognize a few names and it looks like it's going to be a hell of a good time!

Terry Cross and Jim Clark are co-directing the Fall sniper challenge at Long Range Alley south of Shreveport LA on December 5 and 6.
    This will be a singles (no teams) match.
    Long Range Alley Trinity Tactical Institute is a world class range and is uniquely suited for sniper matches due to the rural, real life layout; a thousand acres or more of assorted ranges and bays situated 20 minutes from Shreveport, including a well-stocked pro shop.
    Expect an abundant prize table.
    Rifles only.
    Range finders, commonly used gear permitted.
    $150 entry fee.
    Up to 200rds may be fired.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Looks like all 50 spots are now spoken for. The list of sponsors is pretty impressive and still growing.

Sponsors (continuously growing):
    Bartlien, Volkmann Custom, Surgeon, Storm Tactical, Manners, Triad Tactial, Accushot, Hooper Ordinance, TacProCenter, TAB Gear, B&T Industries, Import Data Books (did I mention cash prizes?)

I've been spending some time at the range to prep for this, but damn I can't wait!

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Looks like all 50 spots are now spoken for. The list of sponsors is pretty impressive and still growing.

Sponsors (continuously growing):
    Bartlien, Volkmann Custom, Surgeon, Storm Tactical, Manners, Triad Tactial, Accushot, Hooper Ordinance, TacProCenter, TAB Gear, B&T Industries, Import Data Books (did I mention cash prizes?)

I've been spending some time at the range to prep for this, but damn I can't wait!

Good Luck!

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    DAMN what an awesome time!! The points were really close and although I finish the match in 29th place if I would have listened to my better judgment and readjusted my zero for the 23 degree opening morning then I would have finished in 17th. I'm still kicking myself because I know better. One shot.....but that's the name of the game isn't it? For my first ever sniper match I have to say that I enjoyed it and as just as with the rifle shooters I've had the pleasure to shoot with at Palo Alto, everybody was a class act willing to help you out with just about anything. The guys who attended the match came from every corner of the country.....Michigan, North Carolina, a few crazy LEO's from Nebraska, and even one Aussie who was over here visiting. The course of fire made it fun and challenging and kept you wondering what was going to be next. It ranged from 23yds out to 1000 and nearly everything in between. Here's what few pictures I shot.

Brian setting up his tent for a COLD night.
    IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

I think the 23 degree nights mixed with all of the running, carrying, and shooting contortions that I had to flex my body into to make some of the shots contributed to the unreal soreness that I'm feeling this morning.
    IMG_0007.jpg

My squad was first on the mid-range positional challenges. 500yds sitting...
    IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

300yds kneeling...
    IMG_0017.jpg

Notice the range flag in the background and even though it was a tail wind how variable it was that morning.
    IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    My tools...
    IMG_0024.jpg

Later in the day we swapped match directors and shot closer in on drills that focused on precision, decision making, and endurance.
    IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

One drill involved setting the rifle on the ground with the bolt open, backing up 5yds, and having 7 seconds to run.....drop to the ground.....load the chamber.....acquire the target....and fire. Targets were a 4" dot at 150yds. We would then do it again backing up 5yds and adding one second to the time until we were 25yds away from the guns and had 11 seconds to run and shoot. I'm proud to say I cleaned the target with the exception of one shot which broke .15 seconds after the timer went off.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5njE8gbdB0&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJe99c_Og4Q&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

I didn't take any pictures of the second day, mostly cause I was too sore to hike back to the truck to get the camera after I forgot it. It was just as challenging and shooting at 1000yds on an overcast day at a target surrounded by high grass was very humbling. We couldn't see trace and the 5-10mph cross wind made it difficult to hear the report of the steel. All in all though it was a great time and I am greatly looking forward to shoot another one when I get the chance. Until then I know what I need to practice and that's why I went.....to learn.

Last edited:

BAR

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    Yes it was a little cool at night.

Had a heck of a time everyone was courteous and professional, can't wait til the next one.

Ritten thanks again for everything, maybe next time I can remember all my stuff.

Bryan.

HiCapMag

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La
    Bryan, were you in that other tent?

Grits, there were several suppressors at the match. They act like a muzzle break, but without all the nasty blast. They obviously make the rifle longer and heavier, so if you are moving around a lot, they can be a con (as opposed to a pro), but none of that in this match.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom