Fantasy Sniper Rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sealthedeal

charliepapa jr.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Just thinking about it and wanted to know what y'all would get all things considered; cost, range, accuracy, and overall ballistics. If I personally had the money :( this is what I'd get

Cheytac .408 THOR XM

pix368837710.jpg

pix637623362.jpg

Opinions?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I wouldn't buy that. I'd buy a savage and use the rest of the money to pay someone to teach me how to shoot at long distance. I sure as hell can't just pick up a rifle and hit a target at 300+ yards.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Just thinking about it and wanted to know what y'all would get all things considered; cost, range, accuracy, and overall ballistics. If I personally had the money :( this is what I'd get

Cheytac .408 THOR XM

Opinions?

Paging my buddy Barney...this looks suspiciously similar to what you were testing in New Iberia on Wednesday, except yours had some S&B glass on top ;)

sealthedeal

charliepapa jr.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to calculate elevation, slope, wind, etc. I'm pretty sure you don't just point and shoot because the gun is just that badass :squint:

No, you're right, but it comes with the advanced ballistics calculator that does the work for you
    :D

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    It looks heavy. Most of a sniper's job is hiking. Basically backpacking with a 100 pound load in the desert. I'd rather cut 25 pounds off my load (gun and ammo), carry a light .308 mountain gun and shoot from 500 meters. Or better yet, call in air!

sealthedeal

charliepapa jr.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    It looks heavy. Most of a sniper's job is hiking. Basically backpacking with a 100 pound load in the desert. I'd rather cut 25 pounds off my load (gun and ammo), carry a light .308 mountain gun and shoot from 500 meters. Or better yet, call in air!

I under stand where you're coming from but i wasn't really talking about the hiking part as much as i was just talking about the hiding/ shooting from a distance part, but yes if i was actually a marine scout/sniper I may reconsider

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    Ritten is out with a Black Ops unit trying out some super secret prototype long range rifle equipment, he cant talk about it or post or he will have to , ,,,, well you know, all I know is the projectiles are not affected by gravity or the earth's magnetism, he'll be back with us shortly

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I under stand where you're coming from but i wasn't really talking about the hiking part as much as i was just talking about the hiding/ shooting from a distance part, but yes if i was actually a marine scout/sniper I may reconsider

So you're going to drive to your hide? Or are we talking about city/ urban sniping (in which case you won't be shooting 1800 meters)?

I know there are some hunting groups that ride 4wheelers/ trucks and take long shots. Mountain goat hunters for example. I don't think there's going to be much meat left after hitting a goat with .408 though!

I'm not being a smart a$$, I'm just trying to figure out why I'd spend $5K on this kind of rifle. If I had $5K to blow on a rifle... it'd be this:

http://nesika.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Hunter-Rifle

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to calculate elevation, slope, wind, etc. I'm pretty sure you don't just point and shoot because the gun is just that badass :squint:

Yep. I've only shot past a mile on one occasion, and there was ALOT more math than shooting. (I'd haveto check my book, but IIRC it was a 73 MOA adjustment from my 300 yard zero)

As to what I'd buy: I bought a Barrett M82/107

If I were going to do 'alot' of shooting it would likely be a .30 Accuracy international or somesuch... 3/4 the punch or somesuch, and actually carryable.

Why I got what I got:
    Semi... I have F*cked UP! Some cars with that thing.... APIT baby!
    Nough said!

Secondly... second shot baby!
    Long driveway... and nobody's coming down that thing if you don't want it to!

Depends on what you want.

Top Bottom