FBI Study on Handgun Ammunition.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I have never been in a firefight but I imagine the terrible hit percentages has something to do with trying to avoid the incoming beans. Personally I would rather land 20% of my shots and avoid 100% of theirs than land 100% of my shots and catch 20% of theirs.

Obviously Neither has magdump

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    On topic of "knockdown", my grandfather carried a .45 during WWII. He used to tell stories from when he was a marine raider, Japanese would run across the beach, they could be shot numerous times with other weapons, but a .45 would knock them to the sand. There is no scientific mumbo jumbo and lab coat fees to certify this, but I'd say it was tested thoroughly. =)

Man,
    I sure do miss listening to my Grandfathers WWII stories. Especially on the nights he would have nightmares.]
    Never doubted any of his stories. Just tried to imagine his fear........Something I never had to face thus far in my lifetime.
    [Thanks Paw Paw r.i.p.]

Back to the point, when he passed, I was given his carry weapon. The "ONLY" weapon he kept and the only one I can remember ever seeing him with.

H&R Model 676 .22 lr
    { the WMR cylinder was still in the box, Unused !}

He sliced the 6 lead bullets into 1/4 [ + like this + ]

Yes I still have them. The value to me is Priceless !

Now,
    Does this finally end the argument ?:x:

Last edited:

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    I have never been in a firefight but I imagine the terrible hit percentages has something to do with trying to avoid the incoming beans. Personally I would rather land 20% of my shots and avoid 100% of theirs than land 100% of my shots and catch 20% of theirs.

Correct. Without proper training and muscle memory, normal people and civilians "freeze" or hop sideways and do some goofy running ****, while squeezing rounds off into the dirt and in the general direction of who they are trying to engage.

It takes a huge set of brass balls and remain calm cool and collected when returning fire for LEO or US Military to react and send accurate rounds downrange. I was never trained to just dump my entire mag in the Army, and I seriously doubt LEO are trained to dump their entire mag in a gun fight with a criminal. The goal for us was to unload an effective amount of accurate and concentrated gunfire at an enemy's head chest or heart, or holed up position, allowing ourselves and the rest of our squad to maneuver to cover and engage the threat lethally.

It's not a good day when those ice picks are flying your way. You just can't get small enough.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I've seen a few aftermaths with various calibers, their results are below. This is only per my personal experience and I am no expert.

.45: shot in back of the head at ~15ft. Victim survived and explained the details of the encounter to me while awaiting med.
    .45: shot once, center mass. Victim survived and described it as "being punched for no reason. ...then he saw blood"

.22: shot in the chest. deceased upon arrival.
    .22: shot in the head. deceased upon arrival.

After mixing "expert" opinion with my own experience, the only thing I've learned decisively is that its best to not get shot. It is quite interesting to me how those that shoot paper vs those that see the victims testify differently about what rounds do.

I'm not saying .22 is "better" than .45. In fact, I'm not saying anything about ballistics other than I don't understand them, and the whole debate in my humble opinion is an internet circle jerk.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I've seen a few aftermaths with various calibers, their results are below. This is only per my personal experience and I am no expert.

.45: shot in back of the head at ~15ft. Victim survived and explained the details of the encounter to me while awaiting med.
    .45: shot once, center mass. Victim survived and described it as "being punched for no reason. ...then he saw blood"

.22: shot in the chest. deceased upon arrival.
    .22: shot in the head. deceased upon arrival.

After mixing "expert" opinion with my own experience, the only thing I've learned decisively is that its best to not get shot. It is quite interesting to me how those that shoot paper vs those that see the victims testify differently about what rounds do.

I'm not saying .22 is "better" than .45. In fact, I'm not saying anything about ballistics other than I don't understand them, and the whole debate in my humble opinion is an internet circle jerk.

These shootings that you saw the victims of. When did they occur?

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    a small town in Acadia Parish is a city, so its a PD not the sheriff, thatd be acadia parish. fun fact: the parish has had about one a week, since you're inquiring.

I guess a small town in Acadia Parish news isn't local to you in bayou cane, so that'd explain why you missed it.

I don't live in Bayou Cane. I do drive through there a couple times a day though. I'll leave it to people who are actually qualified in police work to respond to the rest though.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I don't live in Bayou Cane. I do drive through there a couple times a day though. I'll leave it to people who are actually qualified in police work to respond to the rest though.

I was being more generous than you were. Does copy pasting your address here prove anything to anyone? Is it relevant to the thread?

Welcome to the internet again bud. No one is a secret. I'll be the bigger man and PM you regarding this.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom