FBI Study on Handgun Ammunition.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    All joking aside, I wish the FBI would give a report on the calibers .38 and .380. Snubbie revolvers aren't dead yet and with the recent surge of .380 pistols a comprehensive report on the performance of those calibers would be very informative.

JR1572

LSP is now issuing the S&W Bodyguard .380 with Gold Dot rounds. My LSP friend is carrying his in an ankle holster.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I have friends that work for a federal agency and they recommend Winchester ranger .380. Another agency recommends Speer gold dot. I will carry either one as soon as I can verify my 42 will eat it reliably.

JR1572

I carry the Ranger .380 in my BUG.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Meh, the article only mentioned 9mm, .40 and .45 auto.
    Now, suppose the law enforcement officer carried a .44 mag.....or a nice Desert Eagle in 50AE.
    And we have a new topic for discussion.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Now, suppose the law enforcement officer carried a .44 mag.....or a nice Desert Eagle in 50AE.

Oh no, anything more powerful than a .45 makes people's vaginas hurt.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA

I think you'll find that those calibers further exaggerate the "cons" category.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    Quite true. Note that the frightening 10mm wasn't even mentioned, as it is completely unsuitable for use by mere mortals. I read on the Internet that the round always causes far too much collateral damage, turns the target into tiny burnt scraps of unidentifiable meat, and knocks the shooter backwards 3.14 meters, on average. :D

On a serious note: Winchester Ranger 124+P Bonded for me. Sounds like I made a good choice with that round.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Quite true. Note that the frightening 10mm wasn't even mentioned, as it is completely unsuitable for use by mere mortals. I read on the Internet that the round always causes far too much collateral damage, turns the target into tiny burnt scraps of unidentifiable meat, and knocks the shooter backwards 3.14 meters, on average. :D

On a serious note: Winchester Ranger 124+P Bonded for me. Sounds like I made a good choice with that round.

I'm pretty sure 10mm is categorized as a bazooka, which is why it wasn't included in the test. :)

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Best explanation I've ever heard of handguns is that they're remote stabbing devices. Some stab (slightly) bigger holes, and some stab (slightly) deeper, but it's just a long-range ice pick. Use the one that you can stab in the right place, the most consistently with.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Best explanation I've ever heard of handguns is that they're remote stabbing devices. Some stab (slightly) bigger holes, and some stab (slightly) deeper, but it's just a long-range ice pick. Use the one that you can stab in the right place, the most consistently with.

I know where you got that! :thumbsup:

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    "Napalm sticks to little children, all the children of the world!
    Red and yellow, black and white, little torches in the night!
    Napalm sticks to little children of the world!"

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

I think you'll find that those calibers further exaggerate the "cons" category.

Y'all made me laugh, but I'm sure there's some truth to that. I would say that the large majority of the time, a 9mm in the hand of a well rehearsed person should be as adequate as a .40. I've noticed a trend in many police shootings involving multiple rounds fired and that is poor...ok, I'll say it, terrible hit ratios. I'm sure that they are trained to empty the magazine as fast as possible when there is an armed threat, but you need to hit the threat. The spray and pray method has been proven. Proven to be a waste of ammo. I've had several people over the years ask me what they should carry in the way of a firearm and I've always given the same answer, which is a dependable gun that you feel comfortable carrying and shooting. Practice the draw, practice shooting and pray you never need it.
    As far as caliber, I choose to carry 9mm or .40 S&W for peace of mind.
    If someone would argue that a 10mm or a 44 bulldog or even a snubby in 44mag is too hard to manage or control in a firefight, I'd say they need to practice and work on their shooting technique. I'm not big at all in stature and don't have any issues controlling a larger caliber handgun.

Last edited:

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Piece B with U

9 mm Largo..is how I roll.....15 cents per round

40de0pgvlb4fvk4qarsh.jpg

qw68z26nuiobdjr33a.jpg

caddyshackin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2014
    Prairieville, LA
    I guess this is a mini bump? Semi sorta, I couldn't help but comment, every tactical operator worth their magpul accessories knows the 10mm is the chuck norris of handgun rounds, a 10mm doesn't actually fire a round, it distorts time and space to teleport.

On topic of "knockdown", my grandfather carried a .45 during WWII. He used to tell stories from when he was a marine raider, Japanese would run across the beach, they could be shot numerous times with other weapons, but a .45 would knock them to the sand. There is no scientific mumbo jumbo and lab coat fees to certify this, but I'd say it was tested thoroughly. =)

Just my .02

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    On topic of "knockdown", my grandfather carried a .45 during WWII. He used to tell stories from when he was a marine raider, Japanese would run across the beach, they could be shot numerous times with other weapons, but a .45 would knock them to the sand. There is no scientific mumbo jumbo and lab coat fees to certify this, but I'd say it was tested thoroughly. =)

Just my .02

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I guess this is a mini bump? Semi sorta, I couldn't help but comment, every tactical operator worth their magpul accessories knows the 10mm is the chuck norris of handgun rounds, a 10mm doesn't actually fire a round, it distorts time and space to teleport.

Just my .02

rofl

must resist the urge.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Y'all made me laugh, but I'm sure there's some truth to that. I would say that the large majority of the time, a 9mm in the hand of a well rehearsed person should be as adequate as a .40. I've noticed a trend in many police shootings involving multiple rounds fired and that is poor...ok, I'll say it, terrible hit ratios. I'm sure that they are trained to empty the magazine as fast as possible when there is an armed threat, but you need to hit the threat. The spray and pray method has been proven. Proven to be a waste of ammo. I've had several people over the years ask me what they should carry in the way of a firearm and I've always given the same answer, which is a dependable gun that you feel comfortable carrying and shooting. Practice the draw, practice shooting and pray you never need it.
    As far as caliber, I choose to carry 9mm or .40 S&W for peace of mind.
    If someone would argue that a 10mm or a 44 bulldog or even a snubby in 44mag is too hard to manage or control in a firefight, I'd say they need to practice and work on their shooting technique. I'm not big at all in stature and don't have any issues controlling a larger caliber handgun.

I have never been in a firefight but I imagine the terrible hit percentages has something to do with trying to avoid the incoming beans. Personally I would rather land 20% of my shots and avoid 100% of theirs than land 100% of my shots and catch 20% of theirs.

Top Bottom