FFL Drama - Help!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    So I the owner of my G-26 can have my buddy Bob ship my G-26 to a FFL. And that FFL can ship that gun back to ME the owner?

And the other what?

It is more that the FFL can ship to the owner. The FFL can do this because it is not a transfer of any kind. The FFL cannot ship to your buddy Bob. These rules are set up because of gunsmithing. If you want to have you G-26 worked on by Lone Wolf, you or Bob or Cindy Lou or whoever (maybe it is your birthday present or something) ships it to Lone Wolf. Lone Wolf does the work and then they mail it back to you.

The FFL does not have control of who or how a firearm is shipped to them, but they do have a responsibility to ship it back to you legally.

Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    Talked to my FFL again. He seems to have calmed down alot. He put in a call to his ATF rep & the guy is "in the field" or something like that. He says that this ATF guy told him a while back that anything from out of state needs to have an FFL & THAT'S his issue right now. WARNING: haha, his *issue* changes about 1-2 times a day but that's where we are now. He says that he has questions for his ATF guy & if that guy gives him the answers he wants then I can come get the guns on Monday.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Ok, got off the phone with On Target. Even though I'm the real loser in this whole equation, I HAVE to chuckle here. He is STILL going berzerk about "some guy in Alabama" having his FFL and he has called his ATF rep to see what to do about this whole situation. Wow... We got cut off bc he had a customer come in but he's supposed to call me back.
    Sucks for the seller when he tells them he shipped it via USPS.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    You need to find another FFL. Some body is full of crap. He should have a better grasp of the rules than that.

I have had the ATF tell me a lot of things that were plain wrong. He shouldn't be afraid to tell them so and be able to back it up.

EDIT: His questions are answered in the ATF handbook that he was given. If he cant find it they are also online

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    It is more that the FFL can ship to the owner. The FFL can do this because it is not a transfer of any kind. The FFL cannot ship to your buddy Bob. These rules are set up because of gunsmithing. If you want to have you G-26 worked on by Lone Wolf, you or Bob or Cindy Lou or whoever (maybe it is your birthday present or something) ships it to Lone Wolf. Lone Wolf does the work and then they mail it back to you.

The FFL does not have control of who or how a firearm is shipped to them, but they do have a responsibility to ship it back to you legally.

I take it you dont have or never had an FFL?

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    My local dealer will not receive from an individual. He said during the years of ATF audits they make them call the individual and get an FFL lic. just to satisfy them. Total ********, he says. He said it's legal to receive from an individual but doesn't want the grief the ATF agents give him. Shame they make you do something totally unnecessary. Sounds like your dealer is getting bad info from his "agent".

Good Luck with your transfer.

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I did have an FFL before I moved to Louisiana.

If you bring an FFL your WIFES gun for a Trigger Job and the FFL logs it in his books under your DL your wife the "OWNER" CANNOT pick the gun up "without a 4473 at the least"!

Last edited:

Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    "Sucks for the seller when he tells them he shipped it via USPS."

Yeah, it does suck. I DO feel bad for him with the ATF now having that tidbit of info though. Sounds like my ffl guy here is just rattling off whatever the ATF tells him & I get that, after all, it's his ass on the line or so he claims. The way its going, I'm about ready to call the ATF myself. If its the LAW that says no individual can mail to an FFL in another state, then fine, that's the law but as of right now, everything I've read online contradicts that.

Last edited:

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Hdfinder47, I tell ya, it's comical...he's furiously pissed with me saying that now this guy in AL has a copy of his FFL & "can buy all the guns he wants in my name." I told him I wasn't concerned who has a copy of anything being as now I have to spend $$$ on additional shipping charges.

Bigtattoo79, yeah, he's saying he "has to" send them back. That's why I was trying to see if it was legal for me to just get him to ship them to Shooter's Club.
    Sorry you're already out the $$ but this guy is too stupid to do business with.

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you bring an FFL your WIFES gun for a Trigger Job and the FFL logs it in his books under your DL your wife the "OWNER" CANNOT pick the gun up "without a 4473 at the least"!

Your right, because he has you logged as the owner, not your wife. If it is shipped to the FFL and logged as your wife's firearm, then he cannot ship it to you. It does all depend on how it is logged.

You are splitting hairs on this, and I am done discussing the subject.

Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    Tim, I told him that it didn't matter who had his ffl but he is just convinced it does. Very paranoid! I got off the phone with the seller about 30 min ago. He's about ready to call the ATF too just to get this situation resolved. He said he'll man up entirely on the mailing pistols thru the mail if some kind of solution can be reached to make this BS stop! I told him to hold off until Monday, no need to jump on any grenades yet.

Last edited:

Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    Update: My FFL ran into a Class 3 dealer over the weekend who basically told him the same thing I told him regarding transfers from individuals. NOW he's on board. He just wants a color copy of the seller's Dr License & he'll transfer the guns over to me. This Class 3 dealer told him that technically "what the law says & what the ATF wants are 2 different things" & that's what sold my FFL on what I had been trying to tell him. So, I called the seller, he's gonna scan his DL & email it (that's what my ffl wanted) & we should all be good come tomorrow. I just wanted to THANK everybody here for all the information received.

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    So, basically sounds like Morey talked some sense into his thick head. Good for him, but knowing all of this I'll never do business with him. The way I see it, you get back what you put out.

Glad it worked out for you in the end.

donrich101

Donnie Presutti
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Sulphur, LA
    We've owned gator guns in sulphur for 20 years and we used to do transfers for our customers like that until a few bad apples ruined for us. FFL holders are under so much scrutiny by the ATF. If the transfers are not done 100% to the law, the ATF can really cause some headaches. One story that comes to mind, an individual had a rifle shipped to us without us knowing. When the rifle (which belong to somebody's grandpa) came in, the serial number was ground off. We had to surrender it to the local law enforcement. Customer was NOT happy so I had the police and ATF explain why it was a felony. I know this doesn't help your predicament but it might give you an idea that some individuals shipping firearms thinks the laws do not pertain to them. Also, I heard thru grapevine, the ATF is watching auction sites.

Top Bottom