Firing a handgun inside a car.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    As a taxi driver, I am naturally concerned about being robbed on the job. I'm saving up for a new carry piece and it has got me thinking about the realities of firing a handgun inside of a vehicle, if such an extreme situation should ever occur.

Hearing loss would be almost guaranteed, right? Obviously, I can't wear hearing protection at work, so do you guys have any advice?

What would be your choice for the "quietest" round, one with the most mellow rapport? Low power 45acp, subsonic 9, something else?

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    when you fire a gun inside a car, its deafening.

consider your position: drivers seat, firing over your shoulder? Windows up on a hot day? you'll be deaf and ringing for hours at best.

Did it once because I had to, so being deaf the rest of the afternoon was irrelevant.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    ANY sufficient Handgun Caliber inside a vehicle will be temporarily deafening.

A small price to pay for potentially saving your life.

You are correct about the level of noise inside a vehicle when shooting. It's violently loud.

However, which round you choose to guard your life with should have no bearing on how loud it is.

I would focus more on actually firing a gun inside a car(Training) via our find Sponsors
    than worrying about which round is lower on the decibel scale.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    There is an old adage that will somewhat hold true. You can go to a range and fire all day with hearing protection and no issues. Take the hearing protection out for one round and your ears will hurt. However a hunter in the woods can fire multiple shots at a deer with no hearing protection and will never remember or feel the sound of the shots. This will somewhat hold true in the heat of the situation inside a vehicle, problem is the sound cannot escape. My advice would be to carry whtever caliber your comfortable with and dont worry about your ears if you are forced to use it. Be prepared for the noise and use it to your advantage over the perp. After all your temporary hearing loss is nothing compared to your life !

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I lost hearing from having a mk18 with no can fired next to my head through the windshield. I'm glad I'm deaf and not dead.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    .45 ACP- to me, anyway- is a lot harder on the ears than 9mm, FWIW. There's just no way that can't be harmful to one's hearing.

What??

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Auditory occlusion during a stressful event will prevent most negative effects. For the most part it's a non-issue and I certainly wouldn't base my gun choice around the sound it makes.

Like Hitman said, what's more important is that you actually train and get some experience firing inside a vehicle. It will help you know what to expect and increase your confidence and abilities should the need ever occur.

Crippler7815

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    Stumbled upon this thread, you got me kinda curious.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-622276.html

15 posts in, there is a chart with an average decibel level broken down by caliber. It doesn't really say the conditions of where the shots were fired, what distance they were measuring from, etc. but on average, you'll be looking at 150+ dB, regardless. That's enough to ring a bell without ears, regardless of where it's fired, much less inside a tin can.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    15 posts in, there is a chart with an average decibel level broken down by caliber. It doesn't really say the conditions of where the shots were fired, what distance they were measuring from, etc. but on average, you'll be looking at 150+ dB, regardless. That's enough to ring a bell without ears, regardless of where it's fired, much less inside a tin can.

While there is some consideration missing(barrel length etc.)
    judging by that link;
    9mm 159.8 dB
    .45 ACP 157.0 dB

2 dB's aren't enough to matter towards the OP's question/concern.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Auditory occlusion during a stressful event will prevent most negative effects. For the most part it's a non-issue and I certainly wouldn't base my gun choice around the sound it makes.

This phenomenon also occurs during hunting. I very seldom am cognizant of the actual level of noise shotguns and rifles put out when I am pulling the trigger! Duck hunting and rabbit hunting more so than deer hunting.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    This phenomenon also occurs during hunting. I very seldom am cognizant of the actual level of noise shotguns and rifles put out when I am pulling the trigger! Duck hunting and rabbit hunting more so than deer hunting.

Same thing goes for rifle recoil when hunting, IMHO.

But- I've got friends who can't hear themselves fart from years of sitting in a duck blind. That's what they blame it on, anyway. :dogkeke:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Same thing goes for rifle recoil when hunting, IMHO.

But- I've got friends who can't hear themselves fart from years of sitting in a duck blind. That's what they blame it on, anyway. :dogkeke:

It seems to only work for the shooter! Most hunting buddies couldn't care less what happens to your ears when THEY shoot. :p

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    Auditory exclusion might prevent you feeling the immediate impact of a gun going off in a car, but you'll still be looking at long term hearing damage. Doesn't protect your inner ear

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Auditory exclusion might prevent you feeling the immediate impact of a gun going off in a car, but you'll still be looking at long term hearing damage. Doesn't protect your inner ear

I thought the immediate impact was what we were discussing, ie losing you hearing in a gunfight. If you are unfortunate enough to get in a gunfight in your vehicle the prime goal should be simply surviving it and choosing the best took to do so. Who cares about a little hearing damage?

And I have had my earpro come off during a drill in a vehicle. It's a strange experience, it's not really the sound that you feel, it's more the concussion. Hell even with earpro it rattles ya, especially with long guns.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Nothing compares to experiencing it for yourself! (With ear pro, that is! You'll get the idea.) There are a number of good companies offering similar training. Here is a pic of me at one of Advantage Groups classes!

Spend some of that money on the software. It may even save you $ on Hardware after.

def5cxakerfb91z1a3vj.jpg

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    I thought the immediate impact was what we were discussing, ie losing you hearing in a gunfight. If you are unfortunate enough to get in a gunfight in your vehicle the prime goal should be simply surviving it and choosing the best took to do so. Who cares about a little hearing damage?

And I have had my earpro come off during a drill in a vehicle. It's a strange experience, it's not really the sound that you feel, it's more the concussion. Hell even with earpro it rattles ya, especially with long guns.

It is, just adding in since it wasn't mentioned. Though I would factor it into consideration, e.g. ruling out .357 mag as an option

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom