First self defense handgun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • markdwig

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 4, 2016
    Baton Rouge
    Hi
    Just remember to try before you buy. Rent what your thinking of buying first before you purchase. My wife bought too much gun initially and ended up with something else.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    The general consensus here is to buy a Glock. It is an excellent choice for more than one reason but it's not for everybody. It's certainly not an automatic fix for everyone and for some folks, it's a no can do. The good thing is, if you do buy a Glock and absolutely hate it, you won't have a problem getting rid of it.....expecially on this site.

Yup. That European grip angle really threw me for a loop when I purchased my first Glock in 1993! I always shot 3" too low with it when I was always spot on with a 1911. Granted, up until 1993, I exclusively shot 1911s owned by various family members.

Fast forward to today, I can shoot 1 jagged hole with a Glock at 7 to 15 yards, depending on how much I concentrate at the longer distances. I can do the same with my 1911s, lol.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Yup. That European grip angle really threw me for a loop when I purchased my first Glock in 1993! I always shot 3" too low with it when I was always spot on with a 1911. Granted, up until 1993, I exclusively shot 1911s owned by various family members.

Fast forward to today, I can shoot 1 jagged hole with a Glock at 7 to 15 yards, depending on how much I concentrate at the longer distances. I can do the same with my 1911s, lol.

I only shot non 1911 defensive pistols prior so switching to Glocks did not change my shooting.

IGCHRIS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Madisonville
    I only shot non 1911 defensive pistols prior so switching to Glocks did not change my shooting.

Amazing how proper technique doesn't change the way you shoot one platform or another.

Tyler took a Costa class a while back and he was shooting like 4 different platforms on the line.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette

Prior to training for using a Glock, it was only a "slight" issue. My instinctual pointing with a 1911 was right on target, but in the beginning, it was 3" low with a Glock. Now, I can interchange without a problem. I'm starting to think that is what made the Springfield XD series so popular with 1911 shooters because of the same grip angle. I still prefer Glock handguns to the XD series though...

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Very unpopular with the neighbors if your unsecured gun gets stolen. Don't be this guy: http://www.wwltv.com/news/crime/gun-taser-credentials-stolen-along-with-nopd-officers-car/289723949

lol They stole the whole car you really think any car mounted safe is gonna keep them out?

ETA: If I leave a gun in my truck it's because I'm getting out in a gun free zone. I will not blame gun owners that have had a gun stolen from locked cars. I hate neighbors if they are concerned with my guns getting stolen they can stand guard in front of my house all night.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom