Fish Oil Facts

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    Hitman I know the benefits of fish oil and take it regularly with my routine. You seem to do much more fitness research than the rest of us. Would you mind sharing your thoughts on Coq10? maybe a new thread as not to jack the awesomeness of Omega 3's

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    My wife gets a free supply of fish oil pills from work. Hitman, if you really want to take up your intake, I can hook you up with a couple bottles of 'soluble oil'. Make a shake with it and you should be GTG. I have used it to dip plastics in while fishing and the stench remains for quite a few casts. Catfish love it.

SilverGirl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Nice thread! Fish and plant derived Omega-3 oils are great. It even helps with moods, I read. People with ADHD and depression, etc., will benefit from their calming effects. Helps with eczema, too! When I think to, I take Omega-3 and DHA. I forget all the time, though....LOL! But I never forget to go eat sushi! Yum :) Salmon (especially the wild red sockeye salmon) is packed with those good oils!

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    What are some of the better OTC fish oils?

WalMart carries a brand
    Vitamin World has several choices
    GMC has their product
    Any better OTC?

Carlson and Nordic Naturals liquid in the bottle. Works out less $ than pills. Easier to absorb and take than the horse sized gel-cap too.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Supplements are kinda sketchy due to poor regulation and no actual data to prove a lot of their claimed effects however make sure to get one that is USP verified.

Last edited:

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    This entire thread is the most ******** and misinformation I have seen in one place in a long, long time !

If anyone wants valid nutritional information, the Pennington Center in Baton Rouge is the World's best source. Take advantage of it !

There may be some benefits for some folks in taking fish oil extract; but, the rest of this is just absolute nonsense !

leVieux

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    This entire thread is the most ******** and misinformation I have seen in one place in a long, long time !

If anyone wants valid nutritional information, the Pennington Center in Baton Rouge is the World's best source. Take advantage of it !

There may be some benefits for some folks in taking fish oil extract; but, the rest of this is just absolute nonsense !

leVieux

You keep saying that generically like you know all there is to know about the subject, yet you never point out anything in particular that is BS nor do you offer anything of value.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    There isn't really any data that shows Fish Oil decreases morbidity/mortality in the average joe.

I had an individual in my class who worked under a toxicologist and wrote his thesis on Fish Oil. He utilized a spectrometer to determine heavy metal content in all of the supplements he could get his hands on. It was surprising needless to say and I called my father and told him to stop taking his.....

Dynamed = amazing resource
    - Cochrane review concludes no evidence that dietary or supplementary omega-3 fatty acid intake alters risk of death, cardiovascular events or cancer

Tons of level two evidence that contradicts each other.....
    - fish oil associated with reduced cardiac mortality but not all-cause mortality or sudden cardiac death (SCD) (level 2 [mid-level] evidence)
    - omega-3 fatty acids may reduce risk of sudden cardiac death in patients with previous MI, but may increase risk in patients with angina (level 2 [mid-level] evidence)

and the list continues however the only level 1 I saw was this.....

n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids 1 g orally once daily reduces all-cause mortality in patients with chronic heart failure (level 1 [likely reliable] evidence)

Last edited:

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Sure there isn't a whole lot of solid proof of anything with regard to supplements and such, but that doesn't mean it's all total BS. The majority of info is that fish oil is a very good source of omega3 etc and there's enough info saying it's good for you than not IMO. I also take a number of supplements that have shown to be useful in helping to control blood sugar. Maybe it works, maybe not. But there is more info that says it does than not and as someone who managed to beat type 2 diabetes once, I do whatever I can in hopes of it never returning.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Sure there isn't a whole lot of solid proof of anything with regard to supplements and such, but that doesn't mean it's all total BS. The majority of info is that fish oil is a very good source of omega3 etc and there's enough info saying it's good for you than not IMO. I also take a number of supplements that have shown to be useful in helping to control blood sugar. Maybe it works, maybe not. But there is more info that says it does than not and as someone who managed to beat type 2 diabetes once, I do whatever I can in hopes of it never returning.

Just remember that the supplement companies don't provide good data to support their claims, they are unregulated, and are after your money. I can tell you however that a healthy diet and exercise have been shown to decrease just about every negative medical condition......

Hope you aren't slamming fish oil and suffering from angina.....

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    You keep saying that generically like you know all there is to know about the subject, yet you never point out anything in particular that is BS nor do you offer anything of value.

I think it's hilarious. I've called him out a few times on it and he just disappears for a few weeks then comes back with;
    "This is total BS! The Pennington Center is the EPIC DON MEGA OF ALL NUTRITION DATA AND UNDERSTANDING :blah: :mamoru:

Then he's gone again until a few more weeks :rofl:

Just remember that the supplement companies don't provide good data to support their claims, they are unregulated, and are after your money. I can tell you however that a healthy diet and exercise have been shown to decrease just about every negative medical condition......

Hope you aren't slamming fish oil and suffering from angina.....

No one here takes Fish Oil b/c of what the Label says. ;)

Perhaps actually READING the OP Link would keep some folks from being confused on the OP. Imagine that.

/

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I think it's hilarious. I've called him out a few times on it and he just disappears for a few weeks then comes back with;
    "This is total BS! The Pennington Center is the EPIC DON MEGA OF ALL NUTRITION DATA AND UNDERSTANDING :blah: :mamoru:

Then he's gone again until a few more weeks :rofl:

No one here takes Fish Oil b/c of what the Label says. ;)

Perhaps actually READING the OP Link would keep some folks from being confused on the OP. Imagine that.

/

I read the original link......

The data isn't there to support the articles assertions...... Actually in some cases it states the opposite.

Diet and exercise yes..... Supplements no......

Not trying to offend anyone but the data is what it is.......

Last edited:

Countryman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    Lafayette
    Omega-3 is found in Krill, fish eat Krill, buy Krill oil and get it from the source like the fish do. Learn more by watching Dr. Oz or have your wife watch Dr. Oz like I do:)

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Not trying to offend anyone but the data is what it is.......

You're right and there's a **** ton supporting the taking of Fish Oil temporarily for a host of different benefits. I've been through this before plenty in this Fitness Thread. Lots of Scientific Data from Meat head Scientist over years of trials. They never try and sell you any specific brand just merely post the Facts of what taking it can improve. Up to you which kind and how long your on it.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    You're right and there's a **** ton supporting the taking of Fish Oil temporarily for a host of different benefits. I've been through this before plenty in this Fitness Thread. Lots of Scientific Data from Meat head Scientist over years of trials. They never try and sell you any specific brand just merely post the Facts of what taking it can improve. Up to you which kind and how long your on it.

LOL I understand what your saying and I am saying that the "**** ton of supporting evidence" is not statistically significant based on several different meta-analyses. I understand the pathway, actually I am quite familiar with it, and believe me it looks like a fish oil supplement should work however the data says otherwise. I appreciate you providing us with the info. I read most of your posts in this section of the forum. You have a lot of knowledge about nutrition and exercise physiology and I enjoy and thank you for the info you provide. I have learned a lot and made some major changes to my lifestyle based on some of your posts.

However fish oil supplementation (based on the extent of current medical knowledge) is not effective. Please don't think I am posting this to be argumentative because I am not. I am just filling you in with the current information that is available to us...

Last edited:

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Omega-3 is found in Krill, fish eat Krill, buy Krill oil and get it from the source like the fish do. Learn more by watching Dr. Oz or have your wife watch Dr. Oz like I do:)

Been taking Krill for almost two years it has helped tremendously but one of the side effects is I hate cats now lol

Seriously I do take Krill tablets daily

Top Bottom