Fishing Pole & Kit Recommendation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimmyJames

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2021
    Lafayette, LA
    Didn't fish much as a kid, and haven't at all as an adult up until this year. Got bored waiting for hunting season and decided to give it a try. Found out I absolutely love the peace and quiet of fishing. I've been using a friend's pole so far.

I'm looking for recommendations on what pole I should get as a beginner without any experience, what to fill the tacklebox with and any tips/guides I should read for inland freshwater fishing. So far I've mostly just read through the regulations online and have an app to identify species I can't harvest.

JimmyJames

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2021
    Lafayette, LA
    What's your budget?
    Target species?
    Budget doesn't really matter, as long as I'm not throwing away money for no reason. If paying more gets me something better that will last longer or is capable of more, that's fine. I mean, I don't want to spend thousands of dollars just to fish, but anywhere between a few hundred and a thousand I have no problem paying for to get everything I need for some boat or bank fishing. Prefer paying less where possible, but not at the expense of good quality. But don't really know enough about the costs of fishing to really know what to expect for a decent loudout either.

Target species is anything I can eat!

Last edited:

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    If I had to put together ONE rod for fishing "everything" from Bass and Catfish to Specks, Reds and Flounder, here goes...........

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    The NorthEast line of Teramar XX rods are made for some relatively-heavy fishing, more than your average Specks and Flounder. I have the 6' 6" Medium-Heavy moderate-fast model from the NorthEast line.

For an all-around rod I'll suggest a 7' rod. In this NorthEast line I'll suggest the medium power, fast action.

Tackle Direct has them in stock.

https://www.tackledirect.com/shimano-txns70m-teramar-xx-northeast-spinning-rod.html

All Teramar XX rods are built with Fuji K-series guides. The best in the business. Cast farther, few or no "wind knots" (more on that later).

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    For the reel I'll suggest the same reel I have on my 6' 6" XX NE, the Shimano 2021 Twin Power XD 4000.

It's the toughest reel in the Magnumlite series of reels. Magnumlite reels have very lightweight rotors so the rotors start rotating/spinning with very little effort which offers less fatigue, quick start-up (and stop) throughout working a bait and fighting fish.

These newest Twin Power XDs are smooth as silk, tough, and an absolute pleasure to fish.

I'm suggesting the 4000 over the 3000 because the 4000 has a bigger body which houses bigger gears than the 3000.
    Noteworthy: the 4000 and 5000 sizes have the same size body, just the 4000 has a smaller rotor and spool than the 5000. You won't need the extra line capacity of the 5000.

https://www.tackledirect.com/shimano-tpxd4000xgfa-twin-power-xd-fa-spinning-reel.html

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I’m not sure what kind of reels you have used before but generally spinning reels are easy use. If you want to ease into it without spending too much right off the bat while decent quality you could go down to Academy and pick up a:

Shimano Sennia or Pfleuger Trion or President combo with 8-10lb test liner for under $100, for panfish and light tackle bass.

Abu Garcia Revo X combo that’s a little heavier for bass and catfish with 15-18 lb test line should be about $200.

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    For the line I'll make a suggestion while leaving you some options.

Sunline Xplasma braid.

I use 18 lb. on a few of mine but if you want more insurance, get the 30 lb. line.
    You have 2 options of color, dark green or bright green. I use dark green but if you want to be able to see your line better go with bright green.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Sunline_Xplasma_Asegai_Braided_Line_Dark_Green/descpage-SXAD.html

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Sunline_Xplasma_Asegai_Braided_Line_Light_Green/descpage-SXA.html

The bright green is only currently available up to 18 lb. test.

I have been very pleased with Xplasma since I changed to it.

Putting braid on Shimano reels requires some quantity of monofilament backing but you can use the cheapest monofilament line you can find when you're only using it for backing. I use 8 lb. mono for backing because it stretches and lays tight and flat. If you don't use backing the braid can slip on the spool because braid doesn't stretch to grip the spool surface. Backing first, tie it off, then put the braid on top of the mono backing.

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    About Fuji's K-series guides:
    They're designed to shed potential tangles in monofilament and fluorocarbon lines, which is where "wind knots" come from.

Many people blame the line they're using for "wind knots" but it is their guides that are the problem.
    K-series guides also "tame down" the coils of line coming off of the spool much faster than all other guides so the line settles down as it passes through subsequent guides so the line isn't "beating around" inside guide rings, which reduces friction and produces farther casts.

First video for a little insight on K-series guides:

I'll keep searching.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Great budget road is the Falcon coastal “the grinder”. Pair with a Shimano SLX or Lews super duty baitcaster.
    Since you’re ok paying more get a second rod with more backbone. Maybe a falcon low rider heavy/fast 7ish feet. That way your more versatile.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Great budget road is the Falcon coastal “the grinder”. Pair with a Shimano SLX or Lews super duty baitcaster.
    Since you’re ok paying more get a second rod with more backbone. Maybe a falcon low rider heavy/fast 7ish feet. That way your more versatile.

Man o man I do love my Shimano Calcutta 250 and Falcon LowRider combo !

JimmyJames

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2021
    Lafayette, LA
    Wow lots to absorb here. Appreciate all the info, especially from you Bolt Head! Considering my ignorance, think I'll go with the higher-end suggestions from you, hopefully avoid beginner issues in the process while learning the ropes.

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    Just got back from a little walk on a small river nearby. Only took my 6' 6" XX NE, Twin Power XD 4000, 18 lb. Xplasma, 1/4 oz. Cavitron buzzbait on a short 30 lb. fluorocarbon leader.

Had I known that little river was that low and clear I would've brought something more subtle, likely a swim jig.
    Had 2 follows and later a strike. The 1 strike was obviously small, I didn't even try to stick it. Follows were potentially keeper-size judging from the wake they made behind my buzzbait. Think I'll go back tomorrow with my 6' 6" XX SW (medium) that totes a Twin Power XD 3000, and probably a 1/4 oz. swim jig and a few soft jerkbaits (weightless, weedless).

Awesome on going with my suggestion, Jimmy! If you'd like to protect your investment, grab a rod sleeve and a reel cover. I keep all mine covered with both.

I have 6' 6" rods, 7' 6" rods, and one 7' 2" rod. I use the short rods for tight quarters and the long rods when I have space and need the ability to cast further. Long rods cast far but accuracy suffers. Short rods have accuracy but a lot less distance, and excel in tight quarters that lack room to swing. 7' rods have are middle of the road and are what I'd have if I wanted only one. 7-footers were what I used through most of my life.

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    You're absolutely Doing it Right the First Time, Jimmy!

You will enjoy it, I assure you. It'll cast like it should (like everyone wishes their's did), work and fight like you want one to, and last like it should, especially if you maintain it well. You'll often make "yummy sounds" when using it, like you're enjoying great food! HAHAAA!

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    Keeping tackle selection simple, here are my top picks:

Largemouth Bass:
    *6" straight-tail worm, green pumpkin color.
    *7" ribbontail worm, green pumpkin color.
    *Swim jig, 1/4 oz., shad color.
    *Spinnerbait, 1/4 oz., shad color.
    *4" and 5" soft plastic jerkbait, shad/baitfish color.
    *4" and 5" soft plastic swimbait, shad/baitfish color.
    *Soft plastic crawfish, green pumpkin color.
    *Floating, walking topwater hardbait, shad/baitfish color.
    *Lipless crankbait, shad color.

There are MANY more tackle options but these will cover the bases and produce bites everywhere, reliably, all year.
    The soft plastics are rigged weedless (Texas) either weighted or weightless. Worms rigged on some style of worm hook. Craws, jerkbaits and swimbaits are usually rigged on EWG (extra wide gap) worm hooks, sometimes weighted but often weightless.

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    Just a few examples of rigging soft plastics on various hooks and rigs:

426920__99458.jpg
    5139-rig.gif
    000346891.jpg
    swimbait.jpg
    5100-rig.gif

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    Good all-around soft plastic jerkbait:
    Strike King KVD Perfect Plastics Blade Minnow 4.5"
    Found some at MidwayUSA in Pearl Flash color.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021915941?pid=965821

Soft jerkbaits work year-round, and in freshwater and inland saltwater. If you only had 3 lures/baits to carry, a baitfish-imitating softbait should be one.

Try to carry at least one lure option that produces sound and/or vibration so you can give fish something to hone in on in dirty water in case you encounter it. In Bass fishing that can be many things; a swimbait, spinnerbait, crankbait, lipless crankbait, ribbontail worm, "vibrating" worm like a Zoom Ultravibe Speed Worm. Spinnerbait is my usual tool for dirty water but I use them often otherwise.

Another likely option in a 3-bait tackle bag would be a straight-tail worm, either 6" or 7". Green Pumpkin is really the only color you need. Rigged on a quality weightless hook or a shaky head jighead. Shaky head jighead will rig up weedless, give you some weight, and more than one retrieve option. You can swim it, crawl it, shake it (shaky head), hop it, flip/pitch it at visible cover.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom