Fishing Pole & Kit Recommendation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    Shaky Head worms:
    hq720.jpg
    full-20598-203372-squirrel_1.jpg
    sddefault.jpg

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    For walking topwater hardbaits I'll suggest two to give you a lighter and a heavier option.

Lighter option is Ima Skimmer, 3/8 oz., 4.5". Sometimes hard to get.
    There is a bigger version, the Skimmer Grande, but I don't use it.
    My color in the Skimmer is Real Ghost Shad. Out of the few in stock at Tackle Warehouse, American Shad will definitely get it done. Kickin' little bait.
    https://www.tackledirect.com/ima-skimmer-topwater-stickbait.html

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Ima_Skimmer_Walking_Bait/descpage-ISK.html

Heavier option is Shimano Coltsniper Walk 110F Silent. I use the natural colors such as Silver Shad and White Bait.
    4 3/8", 3/4 oz., and has a weight transfer system inside so it casts like a bullet.
    https://www.tackledirect.com/shimano-coltsniper-walk110f-silent-lures.html

Last edited:

JimmyJames

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2021
    Lafayette, LA
    Keeping tackle selection simple, here are my top picks:

Largemouth Bass:
    *6" straight-tail worm, green pumpkin color.
    *7" ribbontail worm, green pumpkin color.
    *Swim jig, 1/4 oz., shad color.
    *Spinnerbait, 1/4 oz., shad color.
    *4" and 5" soft plastic jerkbait, shad/baitfish color.
    *4" and 5" soft plastic swimbait, shad/baitfish color.
    *Soft plastic crawfish, green pumpkin color.
    *Floating, walking topwater hardbait, shad/baitfish color.
    *Lipless crankbait, shad color.

There are MANY more tackle options but these will cover the bases and produce bites everywhere, reliably, all year.
    The soft plastics are rigged weedless (Texas) either weighted or weightless. Worms rigged on some style of worm hook. Craws, jerkbaits and swimbaits are usually rigged on EWG (extra wide gap) worm hooks, sometimes weighted but often weightless.
    This is EXACTLY the kind of thing I'm most confused about - what bait to use. There are just so many to choose from I'm completely lost!

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    It is easy to get overwhelmed by the near-infinite options and then all the colors.
    Keep it relatively simple. Keep color options few, and in my opinion and way of doing things, keep colors relatively natural.
    The #1 factor in catching fish is finding fish. The 80/20 Rule applies: 80% of the fish are in 20% of the water.

Building a stock of tackle is a process that happens over time.

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    For a straight-tailed worm, single option:
    6.25" in Green Pumpkin color.
    Powerbait is a proven scent/flavor.
    https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Berkley_Powerbait_Bottom_Hopper_Worm/descpage-BHW.html

One worm hook I'll suggest for that worm:
    Gamakatsu G-Finesse Heavy Cover TGW Worm hook, 1/0 (these are expensive). This hook will give you enough hook to be used in other applications. It's not a heavy hook but it is oddly strong.
    https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gam...G-Finesse_Heavy_Cover_Hook/descpage-GFHC.html

One pack of these Owner Shakey heads in 1/4 oz., Green Pumpkin, will be a solid single option. Grab a pack of 1/8 oz. also in Green Pumpkin to have a lighter option, if you'd like.
    https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owner_Shakey_Football_Head_Green_Pumpkin/descpage-OSHP.html

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    Owner Wide Gap Plus 3/0
    VS.
    Gamakatsu G-Finesse Finesse Heavy Cover Worm 1/0
    Two very different hooks that will apply to many things in Bass fishing.
    20230821_080518.jpg

I went back to that same spot on that little river yesterday evening. Watched a school of fish where the two follows on my buzzbait happened. I think it's Channel Catfish, which are well-known to pursue artificial lures. Using one of the Gamakatsu 1/0 hooks shown here I threw a few different soft plastics. Even casting pretty hard, weightless, the soft baits refused to slide down the hook shank.

joeg26er

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2023
    NE FL
    For the reel I'll suggest the same reel I have on my 6' 6" XX NE, the Shimano 2021 Twin Power XD 4000.

It's the toughest reel in the Magnumlite series of reels. Magnumlite reels have very lightweight rotors so the rotors start rotating/spinning with very little effort which offers less fatigue, quick start-up (and stop) throughout working a bait and fighting fish.

These newest Twin Power XDs are smooth as silk, tough, and an absolute pleasure to fish.

I'm suggesting the 4000 over the 3000 because the 4000 has a bigger body which houses bigger gears than the 3000.
    Noteworthy: the 4000 and 5000 sizes have the same size body, just the 4000 has a smaller rotor and spool than the 5000. You won't need the extra line capacity of the 5000.

https://www.tackledirect.com/shimano-tpxd4000xgfa-twin-power-xd-fa-spinning-reel.html
    man you know your reels

BUT the OP said "inland freshwater" so I'd say he should be fine with no bigger than a 3000 series Stradic and 6 to 6'6 medium fast rod from most any maker as long as it's more than $75. TFO Pro medium fast/medium light and a 2500 Shimano Stradic can take on small panfish up to 35+ inch snook

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    man you know your reels

BUT the OP said "inland freshwater" so I'd say he should be fine with no bigger than a 3000 series Stradic and 6 to 6'6 medium fast rod from most any maker as long as it's more than $75. TFO Pro medium fast/medium light and a 2500 Shimano Stradic can take on small panfish up to 35+ inch snook
    Options are so endless it'll make a man dizzy.

I suggested what I did because the rod and reel are durable, built to last, built to handle the rigors of some heavier (not the heaviest) Bass and Catfishing, and even some relatively mild Striper fishing, while still being light enough for him to dip down to lighter weights of some finesse fishing. Very high versatility.

Teramar XX rods are built with K-series guides which will start him off on the right foot, avoiding "wind knots" that often plague fisherman, so the "wind knot" problem won't be there to frustrate and discourage.

Teramar XX rod blanks are built with both Hi-Power X and Spiral X which are the most beneficial details of modern blank construction since carbon fiber itself. Durability, extremely accurate casting, longer casting, superior fish fighting capability, will be some of what he'll enjoy and appreciate if he obtained the rod I suggested.

I could suggest lighter and/or lower-cost options if he voiced interest.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom