fitness for police

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kae6511

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    anyone on here have a workout routine focused for police work? i am starting april 1st and im not to terribly out of shape but a few extra hours at the gym wouldnt hurt anything. im wanting to know if anyone wants to share their workout routine that is in law enforcement. i can go to the gym and lift weights but im just running through the machines that the gym has and not really sure if there is a point to doing half of the stuff i am. any help or input is greatly appreciated.

ltranger14

Spooky 8
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Prairieville
    Crossfit works great for just about anything. Its cardio and strenght. Not everyone likes it and its not for everyone. See if there is a gym near by and go by and try it out. Plenty of other Police Officers in my gym and they enjoy it as much as I do.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Well overall fitness is just that, it covers most everything. (HIIT & Cross-Fit)

However it is possible to further sharpen what skills may be needed for certain jobs.

I'm not an LEO, although I sort of played one for 9 months(MP Garrison Duty) at the end of my Marine Corps active duty service lol Yea, it's a long story.

Regardless I do know plenty LEO's and oh, I've watched a lot of COPS! :p

Anyway, IMHO;
    the biggest killer of fitness for LEO's I can clearly see is DIET! Loads of Coffee, Soft Drinks, Fast Food and yes lots of times DONUTS since that's what a lot of Coffee shops also offer or the 600 calorie breakfast muffin. Not only do these so-called foods add to your waist line and clog arteries, they do little to nothing to give you the energy you’ll possibly need at a moment’s notice. The #1 rule to fitness is a clean Diet. No you don’t have to be perfect, but MORE water LESS soft drinks is a good start. NOT ordering the Double Qtr. Pounder and settling for the Chicken sandwich with NO FRIES is improvement. Get used to ordering JUST the sandwich. No fries or drink. Keep your water close by. Also develop an attitude of packing snacks. GOOD ONES! Like unsalted almonds etc. not Beef Jerky if that’s even what it really is.

-Anyway if you're a Patrol LEO, you SIT, A LOT from paper work to patrolling, you are indeed sedentary in nature. However it seems there are those moment where you need to be QUICK and STRONG. Quick to possibly run(WITH GEAR ON) after a suspect and Strong when it comes time to apprehend the suspect when your are GASED and out of breathe.

This was the philosophy behind some of the most grueling fitness regimes my old BC came up with. He was NOT content with us being in shape and able to hump half our weight in gear for 30 miles. He wanted us to be able to whip ass once we got there. Think like that!

So considering the things working against you.
    #1 - and as is most often the case - DIET! Staying hydrated I would think is crucial considering that in the blink of an eye you'll need your muscles to come alive and operate at full capacity. They WILL NOT do this if you are dehydrated and neither will your mind.
    #2 - STRETCH/YOGA - the second leading cause of your muscles not working at full capacity is your flexibility or LACK thereof. Get a cramp chasing or wrestling someone and you are likely to tear something tendon/muscle and not catch the suspect. Then again if you do, you'll be injured and on injured reserve? not sure what they do with injured LEOs.
    -DO NOT short change the benefits of Yoga. That **** may look dumb and boring but try a 30 minute session and it will leave your ass on the floor in a puddle of worthlessness until you recover. Reason why, b/c it works muscles you deny or simply don’t know exist. It works both core muscles and the very microfiber muscles that aid in major muscles ability to react and perform.
    #3 - QUICK in the mind and on your feet. Since we are talking more physical fitness here we'll focus on that.(Cardio) Throw running out the window, it's pretty useless anyway unless you plan to run in your Local PD Marathon....boring..... When it comes to Cardio think TWITCH and EXPLODE. Focus entirely on sprints. Yes I'm serious. Hard, gut busting 40 yard dashes. Working your way to 100 yards without pulling back until you cross that line. Not only will this teach your body to come alive and come alive NOW, it will increase your VO2 Max. (Basically the ability for your body to take in oxygen and distribute it when it's GO TIME) Something you need.
    #4 – Strength, but not Meat Head type. Won't do you any good to be a Meat Head if all that muscle is weighing you down. Might be good for Riot control but ... well you get the point I'm sure.
    -Considering the likely hood of FTF physical interaction you need to have a strong CORE, sturdy legs and strong hands.
    *Full, butt to the ground leg squats are great for stretching(mobility) and not leaving any part of the leg out during the exercise.(Obviously don’t overdo the weight starting off)
    3 Way Calf-Raises with dumbbells are also fine for ensuring you double up on your stable muscles(The calf). Back straight, knee to ground leg lunges are killer too. Add dumbbells if needed.
    *Strong core = Stability, yea no **** right? lol Sadly folks don't focus on the core I'm referring to and just do AB workouts. Crunches won't get it done. I'm talking about the Transverse Abdominis my friend! To find your TA, sit up straight, now focus on making your belly button touch your spinal cord. That's your TA muscle. It is not strengthened through sit-ups. You have to add in Balance Type Core routines like being in the plank position. So look up Plank type Core workouts to add into your routine.
    *Hand strength is vital to being strong and when it comes to FTF Close Quarters grappling type scenarios like you could deal with like wrist locks and the need to the crush those pressure points you'll need hard fingers and a strong grip. Thankfully this is the easiest muscles to strengthen. Get you a Wal-Mart Grade hand-crusher for starters. Go HIGH reps(in the 70s+ range, holding the gripper up right, upside down, and finger tips only. Start upside down for 70 reps, right side up 70, and as many as you can with finger tips. Also what makes this easy is that you can do this while driving on the way to/from work. After a few weeks or when you're ready, you can upgrade to a CoC(Captains of Crush) Guide or Trainer level Gripper.

So I hope I didn't bore you and I hope maybe you or others can maybe benefit from it. Surely if I were an LEO, I might could have more or better advice but from the outside looking in that's where I'd start.

Stay Frosty!

'D'

"Wake Up" - Workout Programs
    http://www.military.com/military-fitness-slideshows/spartacus-workout.html
    http://www.military.com/military-fitness/workouts/8-count-body-builder-pushup---pullup-pyramid When in the standing position(Add dumbbell curls, Military press and tri-cep skull crushers for extra)

Last edited:

kae6511

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    thanks guys i look forward to hearing more answers. as far as crossfit i have a friend that is opening up one locally at about the middle of april i just need something to start doing until then

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    You don't need a box to do Crossfit, plenty of WODS can be done with very little equipment. I am dreading today, I went for strength this morning, front squats and snatches, going back for the "300" celebration WOD.... I don't want to go back, only a box owner would want to celebrate with the 300 WOD

13f3p

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    madisonville, la.
    find gino ascani,he isin lakeview,hecan get you where you need to be.he has a facebook page,he is also a new orleans firefighter,so he takes fitness seriously

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I'm reading this while sitting at my desk eating a Baconator with fries and a Sprite. Way to make me feel like **** Hitman!! :dogkeke:

smiley_bow.gif

Celebrate instead, make it your last ever! :rofl:

thanks guys i look forward to hearing more answers. as far as crossfit i have a friend that is opening up one locally at about the middle of april i just need something to start doing until then

In that case take a look at the 2 workouts I posted. These can help "Wake you up" before you bring it home with CrossFit.

Our residential cross fit expert is Spanky. He is by far more knowledgeable about it than anyone I've seen on here as far as the types of equipment and scheduling that is used and adhered to. I'd say also that he's has phenomenal results as well. He is a CrossFit Disciple.

Sorry I left out Kcinnick who has also been thrashing some CrossFit too and knows a lot about it.

Last edited:

kae6511

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    You don't need a box to do Crossfit, plenty of WODS can be done with very little equipment. I am dreading today, I went for strength this morning, front squats and snatches, going back for the "300" celebration WOD.... I don't want to go back, only a box owner would want to celebrate with the 300 WOD

where can i see the workouts at?

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    This is what I do

http://crossfitbr.com/category/wod/

or you can follow the main page

http://www.crossfit.com/

Obviously if the weight is too heavy, a box is too tall or you don't have a piece of equipment you can scale the workouts. They put Muscle ups in the workouts all the time, I know 3 people that can do muscle ups, you would sub some sort of dips for muscle ups.

Also, almost all 4000 or so crossfit affiliates post their WOD's online.

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    Crossfit works great for just about anything. Its cardio and strenght. Not everyone likes it and its not for everyone. See if there is a gym near by and go by and try it out. Plenty of other Police Officers in my gym and they enjoy it as much as I do.

this, its what i do and i love what it gives me.

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    get a good pack and put about 70lbs in it and go for a 10 mile run 3 times a week.

if you can do this for about 12 years and not have back and knee problems you be good.

Last edited:

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    smiley_bow.gif

Celebrate instead, make it your last ever! :rofl:

Where can I find good info on starting a better diet? Just the word makes me cringe. I'm a Cajun boy that loves some rice and gravy! I try and start eating healthier, but I don't ever know where to start and just end up giving up within a week. Even reading the back of the boxes is like looking at chinese.

kae6511

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    Where can I find good info on starting a better diet? Just the word makes me cringe. I'm a Cajun boy that loves some rice and gravy! I try and start eating healthier, but I don't ever know where to start and just end up giving up within a week. Even reading the back of the boxes is like looking at chinese.

i feel your pain lol

Top Bottom