Flood Insurance - UNREAL

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Enough said. They (The Corps of Engineers) have been d!cking around with a flood gate across highway 23 for 2 YEARS now. TWICE it has broken the concrete supports that hold this huge swing gate. (Why not a roller gate?).... Twice the concrete supports have been jack hammered out, and TWICE they have re-designed the concrete supports. Maybe THREE times the charm? What drove up costs so much for the levee projects was the exorbitant price that was paid for borrow pit clay for the projects. Lots of people were made Multi-Multi millionaires for MUD! All the COE had to do was buy the property at Fair market Value and get the mud themselves to save HUGE money. They were told this by the leaders of St. Bernard, Jefferson, Orleans & Plaquemines parish but they didn't listen and thus the inflated cost.

Trust me, I know people in key ACOE and contractor positions (Conti) and I know the story. I also know the track record of the COE, and it hasn't been a bargain for any project they have overseen.

Look what the wonderful ACOE design for flood gates in the Belle Chasse tunnel did. These "Geniuses" put in two flood gates on each end of the tunnel and the bottom elevation of the gates are BELOW the water table. So for 2 years we have had a stream of water entering the tunnel! Now they are trying to dig relief wells to pump the water out before it gets to the gates. Best design EVER said NOBODY.....

So please don't sensationalize the ACOE, I've worked with them and they are not the smartest engineers in the profession....and yes, I'm an Engineer.

Don't try to blame the Corps of Engineers for your own colossally stupid decision to build your home on a tiny bit of ground between the Gulf of Mexico, and well the Gulf of Mexico. And don't think for a moment that Congress is going to decide that Plaquemines Parish is more important to protect than New York City or Sacramento, California. Both of those places have dense populations and are in grave danger from flooding. For that matter they'll authorize the money for the Old River Control structure before they'll authorize money for you. And don't think the rest of us should subsidize your bad decision either. Face it you built where you did, because you figured you could always run to the federal government for your welfare subsidy in the form of low insurance payments that the rest of us would have to pay for, so you could get a cheap house.

Nope.

And you obviously do NOT "know the story" if you think for a moment that the federal government is in the business of getting a bargain for anything they buy. They are required by law to pay fair market value for what they get. They also almost NEVER get to build the best design. They get to build whatever congress authorizes, and until Katrina made the nation sit up and notice, that meant taking whatever congress would give after funding two wars and a tremendous military buildup. The New Orleans district has always been a neglected stepchild of congress.

So who are these "key people" you know? Are they Colonel Fleming of the New Orleans District? General Creer? Major Gonzalez? Rick Kendricks? Colonel McCormick? Luis Ruiz? Will Stevenson? Bob Rowlette? Derek Boese? April Villa? Vic Landry? Soheila Holly? Because if these aren't your "key people", then you don't know any key people.

I do.

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    Having trouble understanding the riskmap for my area. When I bought my house I was located in an x zone. Now on the risk map it says I'm in a .2 pct annual chance flood hazard. Does that mean I am no longer in an X zone? Also my street but not my house is shaded in red and says SFHA increase. I'm guessing my property is unaffected but my street is changing? It is all very confusing. My parents property is completely shaded green showing SFHA increase. What does that mean for them?

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    The old zone codes described how often a place had flooded, not it's likelihood of doing so. You can forget all about that x rating. My house had an x rating as well, yet it flooded during Katrina. The new ratings are based upon the storm surge from (I gather) a 100-year storm - that is a storm that is likely to occur once every 100 years - though it may happen tomorrow. The ratings do not take into account the possibility that climate change could change the likelihood of that 100-year storm.

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    The old zone codes described how often a place had flooded, not it's likelihood of doing so. You can forget all about that x rating. My house had an x rating as well, yet it flooded during Katrina. The new ratings are based upon the storm surge from (I gather) a 100-year storm - that is a storm that is likely to occur once every 100 years - though it may happen tomorrow. The ratings do not take into account the possibility that climate change could change the likelihood of that 100-year storm.

Yep, they call it a 100 year flood event.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100-year_flood

Having trouble understanding the riskmap for my area. When I bought my house I was located in an x zone. Now on the risk map it says I'm in a .2 pct annual chance flood hazard. Does that mean I am no longer in an X zone? Also my street but not my house is shaded in red and says SFHA increase. I'm guessing my property is unaffected but my street is changing? It is all very confusing. My parents property is completely shaded green showing SFHA increase. What does that mean for them?

The SFHA means Special Flood Hazard Area. In high-risk areas, there is at least a 1 in 4 chance of flooding during a 30-year mortgage. All home and business owners in these areas with mortgages from federally regulated or insured lenders are required to buy flood insurance. They are shown on the flood maps as zones labeled with the letters A or V. It basically means you are REQUIRED to have flood insurance.

Zone A is based on FEMA's best guess of where flooding would occur in a 100-year flood event. The V zone designates a Coastal Velocity Zone, where the hazards of flooding increase because of wave velocity. Homes in a V zone must be raised higher than those in an A zone.

A lot of this info is copy/paste, so do your own research but it should get you pointed in the right direction.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    My-rifle:

Let me reiterate that my home was built in a "B-Zone" back in 1996. We have NEVER flooded and I am 2 baseball throws away from the Mississippi River. I understood that a major storm could make my property devalue considerably BUT NOBODY knew that the Federal Government was going to draw a line in the sand AND enact legislation (Biggert-Waters Act) to make flood insurance so costly that it could not be afforded, this making my paid off home worthless some 17 years after it was built (and paid for).

And no my only "colossally stupid decision" was to go to Iraq Twice for this country.

But because you have demonstrated repeatedly on this thread that you are a complete assh0le I will ignore you for the remainder of my stay on Bayou Shooter.

Have a wonderful Easter.

CatCam

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    My-rifle:

Let me reiterate that my home was built in a "B-Zone" back in 1996. We have NEVER flooded and I am 2 baseball throws away from the Mississippi River. I understood that a major storm could make my property devalue considerably BUT NOBODY knew that the Federal Government was going to draw a line in the sand AND enact legislation (Biggert-Waters Act) to make flood insurance so costly that it could not be afforded, this making my paid off home worthless some 17 years after it was built (and paid for).

And no my only "colossally stupid decision" was to go to Iraq Twice for this country.

But because you have demonstrated repeatedly on this thread that you are a complete assh0le I will ignore you for the remainder of my stay on Bayou Shooter.

Have a wonderful Easter.

CatCam

They didn't make it costly, they removed subsidies. Basically they took you off welfare.

http://www.floods.org/ace-files/doc...NFIP_Reform_Act_ASFPM_Summary_of_Contents.pdf

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    CatCam - Hopefully this thread will help someone else who is thinking of building in a questionable area. Who is to say the maps wont be changed in the future to encompass more areas. Most peoples home is their largest investment. Sorry your nest egg got cracked. :( Happy Easter

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Jack -
    Nope, never on "WELFARE" -- I'm being subjected to "bail out" a mismanaged program that made itself SO far in debt and are now passing the cost off to me. C'mon man really - the ACTUARIAL cost to ensure my house will be over $17,000/year for flood? So HOW IN THE HELL can my Homeowner's insurance company cover me for Fire, Wind, Hail, Liability, Theft, etc, etc for $3,100/year? WELFARE? - Dude, get a clue.

Have a wonderful Easter,

CatCam

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Jack -
    Nope, never on "WELFARE" -- I'm being subjected to "bail out" a mismanaged program that made itself SO far in debt and are now passing the cost off to me. C'mon man really - the ACTUARIAL cost to ensure my house will be over $17,000/year for flood? So HOW IN THE HELL can my Homeowner's insurance company cover me for Fire, Wind, Hail, Liability, Theft, etc, etc for $3,100/year? WELFARE? - Dude, get a clue.

Have a wonderful Easter,

CatCam

Speaking of welfare the bank bailouts were the biggest welfare scam in modern history. And all of us, CatCam included. are paying for it. Our Federal Government is broken and getting worse. Insurance is about spreading risk against a potential loss. When CatCam built flood insurance was not an issue. Now because of Federal legislation it is. The Federal government changed the rules screwing the hell out of a lot of people. It has also affected a lot of homes here in Ascension Parish. Areas that were not in a flood zone now are. When I bought a piece of property to build on I bought high. Bluff Road around Old Perkins is some of the highest most expensive property in Ascension Parish. I paid a premium because I didn't want my house devalued the next time FEMA changes the maps.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Jack -

Have a wonderful Easter,

CatCam

Did you read the summary for the act I posted? I made the important part more obvious to you. A subsidy is welfare. It is where the government assists you by using the money of others. Now you're saying the actuarial cost will be 17k a year? That's odd, in the first post you said it was below 10. Your homeowner's insurance is irrelevant to your flood insurance. They are covering entirely different sets of risk.

Summary of Contents Biggert-Waters Flood Insurance Reform Act of 2012
    H.R. 4348 Conference Report Title III (Pages 521-576)
    Signed by the President July 6, 2012
    (compiled by ASFPM Vice Chair Bill Nechamen and Merrie Inderfurth, Washington Liaison – using
    Congressional committee Section-by-Section) in addition to bill language.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The authority of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) is extended for 5 years until September
    30, 2017. The bill contains many reforms and changes, many of which are already generating questions
    as to intent, interpretation and implementation. While a summary is helpful, reading the actual bill text is
    recommended.

Flood Insurance

Removes subsidized rates (pre-FIRM rates) for the following classes of structures and allows rates to
    increase by 25% per year until actuarial rates are achieved: The effective date is July 1, 2012.

• Any residential property that is not the primary residence of an individual
    • Any severe repetitive loss property
    • Any property that has incurred flood related damages that cumulatively exceed the fair market
    value of the property
    • Any business property
    • Any property that after the date of the Bill has incurred substantial damage or has experienced
    *substantial improvement exceeding 30 percent of the fair market value of the property.
    • Any new policy or lapsed policy, or any policy for a newly purchased property.
    • Any policy for which the owner has refused a FEMA mitigation offer under HMGP, or for a
    repetitive loss property or severe repetitive loss property.
    o Severe Repetitive Loss means four or more claims payments of over $5,000 or two
    claims that exceed the value of the property.

Increases the limit for annual rate increases within any risk classification of structures from 10 percent to
    20 percent. Effective date is July 1, 2012.

Defines Severe Repetitive Loss properties for single family residences as 4 or more claims, each for more
    than $5,000 and cumulatively more than $20,000. For multi-family residences, the Director may provide
    a definition by regulation.

Allows for premium payments either annually or in more frequent installations.

Places limits on a bank’s force placement of flood insurance. Forced placed insurance would be
    cancelled and the premiums refunded upon proof of a borrower’s existing flood insurance coverage.2
    When flood maps change, a property that has higher rates as a result of a new map shall have the new
    rates phased in over a five-year period at 20% per year. .Premium rate adjustments due to map changes
    take effect on the effective date of the new map.

Lender penalties for non-compliance with mandatory flood insurance purchase requirements is increased
    from $350 to $2000 per violation, and the limit of fines for any lending institution over a calendar year is
    removed. It was $100,000.

Minimum annual deductibles on claims are changed to $1500 for coverage up to $100,000 and $2000 for
    coverage over $100,000 for pre-FIRM properties, and $1,000 and $1,250 for below and above $100,000
    coverage for post-FIRM properties.

Rates must be set to cover the average historical loss year, including catastrophic loss years, in
    accordance with generally accepted actuarial principles. (That would also increase rates since the
    increase in flood damages has meant that rates do not cover the historical average loss year.)

Requires FEMA to establish a National Flood Insurance Reserve Fund of at least one percent of the total
    potential loss exposure. This fund would be built by 7.5% of the reserve ratio required each year. Allows
    FEMA to report to Congressif such goals cannot be met and to explain the reasons.

Requires a ten-year repayment plan for the current insurance fund debt and also requires a report and
    repayment plan whenever FEMA has to borrow funds to pay NFIP claims..
    Clarifies that private flood insurance may satisfy flood insurance coverage requirementsif it meets certain
    standards..

Allows state sponsored nonbinding mediation of flood insurance claims disputes, and would require NFIP
    representatives to participate.

Amends the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA) to require explanation of the availability of
    flood insurance under the NFIP or through private insurance for properties both in and out of Standard
    Flood Hazard Areas (SFHAs).

Establishes reporting requirements associated with reimbursement of expenses for Write Your Own
    (WYO) insurance companies. Directs the FEMA Administrator to develop a methodology for calculating
    expense reimbursement within 180 days and to issue a rule within 12 months.

Establishes a process involving the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)to
    allocate tropical storm and hurricane damages between wind and water damage. (This is Subtitle B of
    Title III and is entitled *Alternative Loss Allocation*. This is derived from previously introduced
    legislation known as *The Coastal Act*. It’s provisions are found on pages 576-585.)
    Mapping

Establishes a Technical Mapping Advisory Council with membership coming from a wide range of
    professions, including federal agencies and state and local mapping partners. The Council would advise 3
    FEMA on improving accuracy, on standards that should be adopted for flood maps, data and map
    maintenance and on funding needs and strategy. . It would also develop recommendations within 1 year
    for future conditions mapping, including impacts of sea level rise and future development on flood risk.
    FEMA is required to incorporate such recommendations into the ongoing review and updating of flood
    maps.

Establishes an on-going National Flood Mapping Program. Requires that flood maps show 100-year and
    500-year floodplains for all populated areas and areas of possible population growth, as well as areas with
    residual risk behind levees or below dams. Also requires mapping of the level of protection provided by
    flood control structures. Requires that new flood maps use the most accurate topography and elevation
    data available. Also requires acquisition of new ground elevation data when necessary. Requires
    development of flood data on a watershed basis.

Requires FEMA to notify property owners when their properties are included in, or are removed from an
    area covered my mandatory insurance purchase requirements. Also requires notification of Senators and
    House Members whose States or Districts are affected by map changes.

There is an authorization of $400,000,000 for flood mapping per year for fiscal years 2013 – 2017. (This
    is an authorization level – not to be confused with actual annual appropriations.)

Formalizes a Scientific Resolution Panel to arbitrate when a community has received an unsatisfactory
    ruling with respect to an appeal of a revised flood insurance rate map. Appeals must be based on
    technical or scientific data.

Removes limitations on state contributions to updated flood mapping. (Previously, there was a limit of a
    50% state contribution to the costs of new flood maps. This has resulted in some states in states
    developing mapping data but FEMA being unable to use it to produce new maps.)

Requires a study on federal interagency coordination of flood mapping, including collection and
    utilization of data among all governmental users.

Mitigation Programs

Consolidates NFIP funded mitigation programs (Repetitive Flood Claims, Severe Repetitive Loss
    Properties, Flood Mitigation Assistance) into a single program. The combined National Flood Mitigation
    Fund is to be funded at $90 million per year. (While the old Flood Mitigation Assistance and pilot Severe
    Repetitive Loss program were funded at up to $40 million per year each and the Repetitive Flood Claims
    program at up to $10 million, the SRL program has never been fully utilized in part due to its complexity.
    The new program simplifies and combines the three previous programs and includes the following:

Allows the required Flood Mitigation Plan to be part of a community’s multi-hazard mitigation plan.

Removes beach nourishment as an allowed mitigation activity.

Adds elevation, relocation or floodproofing of utilities as allowed mitigation activities.4

Adds demolition and rebuild as an allowed mitigation activity.

Specifically notes the capacity for *direct* grants if the Administrator, after consulting with the State and
    community, determines that neither has the capacity to manage the mitigation grant.

Caps the use of mitigation grant funds for state mitigation plan development at $50,000 and at $25,000
    for a community.

Provides for denial of grant funds if not obligated (paid out) in 5 years. (This is due to Congressional
    concern about unobligated balances.) Specifically restates 2004 Reform bill provision prohibiting
    offsetting collections to fund these mitigation programs.

Restructures federal share requirement:
    Up to 100% for severe repetitive loss structures. (4+ Claims of over $5000 or 2+ claims exceeding value of structure)
    Up to 90% for repetitive loss structures. (2 claims over 10 years averaging at least 25% of value of structure)
    Up to 75% for other approved mitigation activities.

Levees

Establishes a Flood Protection Structure Accreditation Task Force in cooperation with the Corps of Engineers. The Task Force is charged with better aligning the information collected by the Corps of Engineers’ Inspection of Completed Works Program with FEMA’s flood protection structure accreditation requirements. The Task Force must develop a process that allows data collected for either purpose to be used interchangeably, and to allow data collected by the Corps of Engineers under the Completed Works Program to be used to satisfy the FEMA accreditation requirements. (This is not meant to reduce the level of public safety and flood control provided by accredited levees. However the
    Task Force is charged with considering changes to the information collected by the Corps of Engineers and the FEMA flood protection accreditation requirements.) FEMA and the Corps of Engineers must implement the measures developed by the Task Force within one year and complete implementation
    within two years.

Allows for flood insurance premiums to reflect premiums in fully protected areas in communities that are deemed to have made adequate progress in the reconstruction or improvement of a flood protection system.

Flood In Progress Determinations

FEMA is required to develop a process for determining when a flood event has commenced for the purpose of flood insurance coverage. (Generally a new policy becomes active in 30 days unless purchased as part of a real estate closing. Due to recent long lasting floods, particularly in the Mississippi and Missouri basins, where flooding can begin upstream more than a month before downstream areas 5 flood, there has been confusion as to the meaning of *flood in progress* as related to coverage under
    newly purchased flood insurance policies.)

Studies.

An assortment of studies are required including:
    • Analysis of increasing the maximum residential and commercial structures, including the availability in the private marketplace of flood insurance in amounts that exceed current NFIP coverage limits.
    • Annual program financial reports, including efforts to purchase substantially damaged properties and detailed analyses of the nature of losses.
    • A GAO report on Pre-FIRM structures, including length of ownership, income of owners, comparison of flood losses to those of post-FIRM structures, the cost of subsidies to re-FIRM structures, and options for eliminating subsidies.
    • A GAO report on the three largest contractors FEMA uses to administer the NFIP.
    • A study by the National Academy of Sciences on graduated risk behind levees.
    • A separate FEMA and GAO study of reinsurance and privatization of the NFIP.
    • A GAO study on business interruption and additional living expenses coverage.
    • A FEMA study of amending the legislation to use national recognized building codes as part of the floodplain management criteria.
    • A FEMA – National Academy of Sciences study of encouraging maintenance of flood insurance and methods for establishing an affordability framework for flood insurance, including targeted assistance.
    • A Federal Insurance Office study of the current market for natural catastrophe insurance in the United States, including issues of affordability. Building Code Enforcement

Allows use of Community Development Block Grant funds for increasing staffing and training for local building code enforcement, and to provide flood hazard and flood insurance information to residents.

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Speaking of welfare the bank bailouts were the biggest welfare scam in modern history. And all of us, CatCam included. are paying for it. Our Federal Government is broken and getting worse. Insurance is about spreading risk against a potential loss. When CatCam built flood insurance was not an issue. Now because of Federal legislation it is. The Federal government changed the rules screwing the hell out of a lot of people. It has also affected a lot of homes here in Ascension Parish. Areas that were not in a flood zone now are. When I bought a piece of property to build on I bought high. Bluff Road around Old Perkins is some of the highest most expensive property in Ascension Parish. I paid a premium because I didn't want my house devalued the next time FEMA changes the maps.

Exactly, you planned ahead. You made a wise choice and you are in a good position because of it. The issue is that people are finally realizing "never flooded before" is usually ******** and Katrina woke everyone up to the risk of living in south east Louisiana. It might not have flooded while he was there, but I guarantee his property has been under water quite a few times.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Just throwing this out there. Didn't the Federal Government buy out people in the 9th ward who were uninsured? If so why bother buying flood insurance.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Just throwing this out there. Didn't the Federal Government buy out people in the 9th ward who were uninsured? If so why bother buying flood insurance.

Not to my knowledge. That thought process of "the government will save me" is part of what that act is combatting. It forces people who are in certain high risk areas to have flood insurance so they aren't standing around waiting on a handout when they flood.

jcbvh

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Louisiana
    So Jack aka Nola Jack,

What is it with you? What is the point of trying to make a person on the forum, let alone a war veteran, feel worse than he already does with what is going on with the flood insurance fiasco?

Did you not get enough marsh mellows in your Lucky Charms as a kid or what?

The guy obviously is worried about his future, and your posts are annoying at best. You made your point about 3 posts ago. Right or Wrong, give it a rest.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    BTW, there's a number you can call to find out the flood claim history of a property. That way you know for sure if it flooded and if it did how much was paid out. I'll try to remember to post it here in the next few days (its at work).

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    For those of you here who have PM'd me and given me some much needed support here, Thanks!! Much needed and appreciated!:cheers:

Jack – I see you are from Chalmette......If I’m guessing right you probably flooded during Katrina.....you probably had flood insurance (albeit subsidized) and rebuilt. Then they built a big 100-year levee that you are in so your rates didn’t change. So now you point the finger and say “too bad” for anyone that didn’t get included in 100-year protection and that it is right that we are getting screwed and are losing big money while you are smug within your levee system that was paid for by ALL of our tax dollars.
    Talk about subsides! Did the people within your new levees pay for them? No, we all did. Hypocrite.

BTW – I was looking at VE and not AE rates, so my new rates will be around $10K.

Just like my-rifle, you have demonstrated repeatedly on this thread that you are a complete assh0le I will ignore you for the remainder of my stay on Bayou Shooter.

Happy Easter,

CatCam

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    My-rifle:

Have a wonderful Easter.

CatCam

My-Rifle and I degree politically, and often philosophically, but I have NEVER found him to be an *******, and he is a very intelligent and I believe decent man.

He is telling you something you do not want to hear (however, it IS the truth) and you are not taking it like a mature adult.

(Now if you were to call ME an *******, likely few would disagree with you.)

Oh, and beating the 'I went to Iraq, so I am owed' drum buys you some millage, but not nearly as much as your trying for.

When people thank me for going I remark about how people went before me, and now it's other people's turn... we all do our part.

Now: Is the government out to screw some and help others... absolutely.

But we are talking nature here, not government.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Jack -

Have a wonderful Easter,

CatCam

Yes, your now bearing the cost (Or a closer approximation thereof) of insuring your home. Your government assistance has been reduced or eliminated. In THAT SENSE.... Welfare.

Call Loyds of London, you can insure anything through them if you can bear the cost.
    See what they charge you.

Your Homeowners is less for the same reason your earthquake insurance is less than someone in CA.

Less odds of filing a claim.

Get a clue.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    So Jack aka Nola Jack,

What is it with you? What is the point of trying to make a person on the forum, let alone a war veteran, feel worse than he already does with what is going on with the flood insurance fiasco?

Did you not get enough marsh mellows in your Lucky Charms as a kid or what?

The guy obviously is worried about his future, and your posts are annoying at best. You made your point about 3 posts ago. Right or Wrong, give it a rest.

This is awesome coming from you, implying multiple people are lying about how insurance claims work, then when I post factual information you make personal attacks against me. I know you are new here, so you might not know, but this is a forum for adults. I'll treat you and catcam like adults, I won't lie and say he is right, nor provide false sympathy. You aren't children, so understand why I don't treat you like a child.

For those of you here who have PM'd me and given me some much needed support here, Thanks!! Much needed and appreciated!:cheers:

Jack – I see you are from Chalmette......If I’m guessing right you probably flooded during Katrina.....you probably had flood insurance (albeit subsidized) and rebuilt. Then they built a big 100-year levee that you are in so your rates didn’t change. So now you point the finger and say *too bad* for anyone that didn’t get included in 100-year protection and that it is right that we are getting screwed and are losing big money while you are smug within your levee system that was paid for by ALL of our tax dollars.
    Talk about subsides! Did the people within your new levees pay for them? No, we all did. Hypocrite.

BTW – I was looking at VE and not AE rates, so my new rates will be around $10K.

Just like my-rifle, you have demonstrated repeatedly on this thread that you are a complete assh0le I will ignore you for the remainder of my stay on Bayou Shooter.

Happy Easter,

CatCam

You are about as wrong as you can possibly get. You call me a hypocrite, when you know nothing about me. I moved to chalmette a year ago, I haven't made a claim on my insurance for anything in my entire life. You made this thread, started waving the derp banner of economic attacks, took a swipe at a few members, called my-rifle(who has always been a good member here) an *******, and now you're asshurt because I'm presenting you with the simple truth.

1. You made the decision to move into an area prone to flooding.
    2. Your area lacked the population density to make it's 100 year protection a financially sound decision.
    3. You are being removed from government subsidies.

Those are the facts and while I am genuinely sorry to see this happening to anyone, getting pissed off, making stupid statements about shutting down the river, calling members assholes, and repeatedly ignoring facts WILL NOT CHANGE THEM.

I've been called an ******* more times than I can count, I am an *******, but I'm usually an ******* who is right. To that end, I've provided information as it relates to how property is surveyed, where your required elevations come from, the nature of the act you are opposed to, etc. and while that information may not be good for you, it is the TRUTH. Sorry for expecting you to be able to handle that.

My-Rifle and I degree politically, and often philosophically, but I have NEVER found him to be an *******, and he is a very intelligent and I believe decent man.

He is telling you something you do not want to hear (however, it IS the truth) and you are not taking it like a mature adult.

(Now if you were to call ME an *******, likely few would disagree with you.)

Oh, and beating the 'I went to Iraq, so I am owed' drum buys you some millage, but not nearly as much as your trying for.

When people thank me for going I remark about how people went before me, and now it's other people's turn... we all do our part.

Now: Is the government out to screw some and help others... absolutely.

But we are talking nature here, not government.

Yes, your now bearing the cost (Or a closer approximation thereof) of insuring your home. Your government assistance has been reduced or eliminated. In THAT SENSE.... Welfare.

Call Loyds of London, you can insure anything through them if you can bear the cost.
    See what they charge you.

Your Homeowners is less for the same reason your earthquake insurance is less than someone in CA.

Less odds of filing a claim.

Get a clue.

I don't agree with nomad on a lot of things, but he is spot on here.

Last edited:

jcbvh

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Louisiana
    This is awesome coming from you, implying multiple people are lying about how insurance claims work, then when I post factual information you make personal attacks against me. I know you are new here, so you might not know, but this is a forum for adults. I'll treat you and catcam like adults, I won't lie and say he is right, nor provide false sympathy. You aren't children, so understand why I don't treat you like here.

This is coming from someone who has multiple aliases on a shooter forum.

Which Alarm Company you work for Nola? Hopefully not ADT. I'm looking for an excuse to boot that company from my home.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom