Flu Shot Party <g>

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    Last evening we hosted a "flu shot party". Several of our neighbors came over, we BBQ'd and had some good conversation, then my nurse-practitioner daughter showed up with a batch of flu vaccine and gave everyone the shot. This saved all of us the inconvenience of having to go to some clinic and wait our turn(!)

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Flu shot has been offered for free and at my convenience at work for the last 13 years or so, but I still won't get one.

This ^^

LSU and my work give them for free. I don't get them though.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have been down with the Flu several times and now I get the shots yearly.

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    The only time i have ever gotten the flu was the years ive gotten the shot...

I long ago quit trying to convince folks that they cannot get the flu from the shot... sorta like those who won't vaccinate their kids because "vaccines cause autism", or "evolution isn't real because it is 'just a theory'"... but it's still fun to read/hear some of their comments.

Last edited:

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I long ago quit trying to convince folks that they cannot get the flu from the shot... sorta like those who won't vaccinate their kids because "vaccines cause autism", or "evolution is just a theory"... but it's still fun to read/hear some of their comments.

I never said that the shot caused the flu did I? My reasoning behind it is if I got the flu the years ive gotten the shot, then the shot apparently doesnt work for me and i am wasting my time on getting it.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I haven't had the flu since I was a small child, and even then, I only had it one time.

My workplace offers them for free, but you won't see me getting one any time soon.

I long ago quit trying to convince folks that they cannot get the flu from the shot... sorta like those who won't vaccinate their kids because "vaccines cause autism", or "evolution isn't real because it is 'just a theory'"... but it's still fun to read/hear some of their comments.

Don't stir the pot.

You posted a thread telling us about your flu shot party.

Last edited:

ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    I don't get the shot. Got the flu several years ago, made it through just fine, still don't plan on getting the shot. I can't imagine having a party for the flu shot though. That cracks me up.:rofl:

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    My reasoning behind it is if I got the flu the years ive gotten the shot, then the shot apparently doesnt work for me and i am wasting my time on getting it.

The shot changes year to year based on CDC projections of which strains will be the highest threat. So saying the shot doesn't work on you is incorrect, you probably got a different strain than what you were vaccinated for. All flu viruses (or vaccines) are not the same. The shot probably did work on you, you just got infected with a different strain.

Last edited:

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    The shot changes year to year based on CDC projections of which strains will be the highest threat. So saying the shot doesn't work on you is incorrect, you probably got a different strain than what you were vaccinated for. All flu viruses (or vaccines) are not the same. The shot probably did work on you, you just got infected with a different strain.

That has nothing to do with the reason I don't get the shot. I don't get the shot because it's not worth the bother for me to go get it especially since I distill got sick that year. Whether it be that strain or another.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    That has nothing to do with the reason I don't get the shot. I don't get the shot because it's not worth the bother for me to go get it especially since I distill got sick that year. Whether it be that strain or another.

I dont disagree that it is inconvenient or worth it, just stating that the vaccine did what it was supposed to do which is protected you against a specific strains of the flu. Just not the one you caught that particular year.

"At least two factors play an important role in determining the likelihood that flu vaccine will protect a person from flu illness: 1) characteristics of the person being vaccinated (such as their age and health), and 2) the similarity or "match" between the flu viruses the flu vaccine is designed to protect against and the flu viruses spreading in the community. During years when the flu vaccine is not well matched to circulating viruses, it’s possible that no benefit from flu vaccination may be observed. During years when there is a good match between the flu vaccine and circulating viruses, it’s possible to measure substantial benefits from vaccination in terms of preventing flu illness. However, even during years when the vaccine match is very good, the benefits of vaccination will vary across the population, depending on characteristics of the person being vaccinated and even, potentially, which vaccine was used."

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    Sounds like playing Russian Roulette.
    Maybe it will cover the strain it vaccinates you for.
    Maybe you'll catch another strain.
    Why bother?

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    Ours bodies are far better, and come out stronger, if we let them take care.
    There are cases where a new flu kills masses, which the shot wouldn't have stopped anyway.

I more of the, chew on the same straw for a couple days, don't go near hand sanitizer, and don't take meds, kind of guy. I have some allergy issues due to Pine, BUT I don't get sick.

BR55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    The flu shot is mandatory at the hospital where I work. The health nurse just stopped by and gave me my shot for the year.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Ours bodies are far better, and come out stronger, if we let them take care.
    There are cases where a new flu kills masses, which the shot wouldn't have stopped anyway.

I more of the, chew on the same straw for a couple days, don't go near hand sanitizer, and don't take meds, kind of guy. I have some allergy issues due to Pine, BUT I don't get sick.

There is validity to what you are saying (I too do not get flu vaccines) but meds and vaccines save lives. I know people who nearly lost their daughter because they thought they shouldn't give her routine vaccinations, she then caught measles. Some vaccines are more efficacious than others, and there are some (like rabies) that most don't need but vaccines have saved generations from suffering from diseases that plagued populations for hundreds of years.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eddie Landry
    Top Bottom