Fracking Risk?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I agree with you completely. That is specifically why I stick the word "honest" in there, because it's the thing we need most and will likely never get.

I don't get it. You want the unicorn to be in charge, then say you don't believe in the unicorn.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts

al2a60jz5pnjqac0h8q.gif

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    What I meant was how did we get oil before fracking? Do we not have enough oil? Are we producing it because we need it, or because it makes lots of people tons of money?

Just messing with you. The thought popped into my head and I felt compelled to post it. There are a lot of fields which previously were too tight to produce and have the potential to be substantial producing fields. Most of the known easy to produce fields have been explored and produced. These newly producible fields are the reason natural gas in the US is cheaper than other parts of the world. It is also the reason billions are being spent by the petrol-chemical industry up and down the Mississippi river. And why we (South Louisiana) fared so well in this economy. Natural gas is the feed stock for these plants.

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    New Orleans got to see what happens when you don't pay close enough attention to what you're doing to the geologic structure you're messing with. They pumped out the aquifer under the city while building a larger heavier city on top of it and learned how to make a giant bowl!

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    What I meant was how did we get oil before fracking? Do we not have enough oil? Are we producing it because we need it, or because it makes lots of people tons of money?

We have incredible amounts.......that the libs won't let us harvest. They prefer that trillions of dollars go overseas so that the Saudi's can buy their safety by financing terror organizations and funding radical madrassa's. Somebody is going to make tons of money any way you slice it. I'd prefer it be people here than enemies there, wherever there may be.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la

I honestly don't know for sure if we "need" it. From the few articles I've read, we still rely on foreign oil, though not as much as before. Drill more wells, or frack and produce more from a smaller amount if wells? I guess none if us will know the truth, as the ones with deep pockets will say whatever they need, but I'd guess that if we had enough, we wouldn't be buying from others?

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    "Big Oil" makes a fraction of what "Big Government" makes on each gallon of gas. And they had to take all the risk and do all the work.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    Think of it like dumping a few tons of gravel into a small lake; the water level will definitely rise, probably overflowing the banks. If you pour enough water under the ground, it changes the balance of pressures around and the ground has to shift to regain balance.

As to the OP, I did a lot of reading on this and other domestic oil problems back in '08 when I was trying to figure out just how big of an idiot McCain was.
    Environmentalists always said that large-scale fracking could cause exactly these results. The oil industy said "Meh, they're exaggerating. Won't be that bad" The oil lobby beat the environmental lobby when the debate was had in washington, and now we are starting to see the results.
    This is one of those subjects that just makes me want to face-palm. The whole subject of domestic oil, really. No, I'm not involved in the industry in any way, this was just one of the first things I ended up looking into when I first became "politically awake".
    I see your point.

Hogin

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Independence LA

A partial list of products made from Petroleum (144 of 6000 items)

One 42-gallon barrel of oil creates 19.4 gallons of gasoline. The rest (over half) is used to make things like: Solvents, Diesel fuel, Motor Oil, Bearing Grease, Ink, Floor Wax, Ballpoint Pens, Football Cleats, Upholstery, Sweaters, Boats, Insecticides, Bicycle Tires, Sports Car Bodies, Nail Polish, Fishing lures, Dresses, Tires, Golf Bags, Perfumes, Cassettes, Dishwasher parts, Tool Boxes, Shoe Polish, Motorcycle Helmet, Caulking, Petroleum Jelly, Transparent Tape, CD Player, Faucet Washers, Antiseptics, Clothesline, Curtains, Food Preservatives, Basketballs, Soap, Vitamin Capsules, Antihistamines, Purses, Shoes, Dashboards, Cortisone, Deodorant, Footballs, Putty, Dyes,Panty Hose, Refrigerant, Percolators, Life Jackets, Rubbing Alcohol, Linings, Skis, TV Cabinets, Shag Rugs, Electrician's Tape, Tool Racks, Car Battery Cases, Epoxy, Paint, Mops, Slacks, Insect Repellent, Oil Filters, Umbrellas, Yarn, Fertilizers, Hair Coloring, Roofing, Toilet Seats, Fishing Rods, Lipstick, Denture Adhesive, Linoleum, Ice Cube Trays, Synthetic Rubber, Speakers, Plastic Wood, Electric Blankets, Glycerin, Tennis Rackets, Rubber Cement, Fishing Boots, Dice, Nylon Rope, Candles, Trash Bags, House Paint, Water Pipes, Hand Lotion, Roller Skates, Surf Boards, Shampoo, Wheels, Paint Rollers, Shower Curtains, Guitar Strings, Luggage, Aspirin, Safety Glasses, Antifreeze, Football Helmets, Awnings, Eyeglasses, Clothes, Toothbrushes, Ice Chests, Footballs, Combs, CD's & DVD's, Paint Brushes, Detergents, Vaporizers, Balloons, Sun Glasses, Tents, Heart Valves, Crayons, Parachutes, Telephones, Enamel, Pillows, Dishes, Cameras, Anesthetics, Artificial Turf, Artificial limbs, Bandages, Dentures, Model Cars, Folding Doors, Hair Curlers, Cold cream, Movie film, Soft Contact lenses, Drinking Cups, Fan Belts ,Car Enamel, Shaving Cream, Ammonia, Refrigerators, Golf Balls, Toothpaste, Gasoline

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    I don't get it. You want the unicorn to be in charge, then say you don't believe in the unicorn.

No sir, I said I want the gov to do what it's job is supposed to be, which I doubt it ever will. imo, that is ensuring the citizenry isn't taken advantage of by foreign powers or large corporations...ain't happening, I know.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I honestly don't know for sure if we "need" it. From the few articles I've read, we still rely on foreign oil, though not as much as before. Drill more wells, or frack and produce more from a smaller amount if wells? I guess none if us will know the truth, as the ones with deep pockets will say whatever they need, but I'd guess that if we had enough, we wouldn't be buying from others?

Maybe we want to be the last ones to have it.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom