Free-Float Handguard ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I'm shaving the FSB because I want a pinned gas block "no set screws".

My understanding is the quad rail handguards weigh more. I'm not looking to make it ultra light I just don't see a need to add weight where it's not needed.

Then just buy a good punch set or even a cheap set. My limited experience has been fairly easy with pinned blocks.

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    I'd say a large portion of shooters still shoot like this...

So I'd agree and say get rid of hand guards completely.

3235552602_39c7dbd567.jpg

nice, and may as well get a pistol buffer tube since the buttstock serves no purpose, that will shed some weight.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    You said you wanted to use a pinned gas block. Roll pins are easy to remove and re-install with some punches. IDK, forgive me I missed something.

I understand now. Someone asked why I wanted to shave my FSB over just buying a low pro one.

This post was never about shaving weight off the gun, how to cut the FSB, if I should cut the FSB or even how to remove the FSB pins however I have a lot to learn about ARs so I welcome all the great advice!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

My understanding is the quad rail handguards weigh more. I'm not looking to make it ultra light I just don't see a need to add weight where it's not needed.

There are numerous low profile gas blocks that make use of the pin slots on a FSB barrel, and fear not, set screw blocks aren't going anywhere, especially if you dimple the barrel.

https://troyind.com/products/gas-block-750-2

Your understanding of quad rails would generally be true. However, Daniel Defense Omega hand guards are relatively lightweight at under 10 ounces.

I prefer MLOK over Keymod and 1913 railed hand guards, but that's just my preference.

nice, and may as well get a pistol buffer tube since the buttstock serves no purpose, that will shed some weight.

Right LOL

I had a sibling of a friend come over one day to look into what it would take for him to build his own AR. I gave him a lightweight build and he instantly held the rifle like that. MAYBE 1/4" of the stock was touching his body.

I understand now. Someone asked why I wanted to shave my FSB over just buying a low pro one.

This post was never about shaving weight off the gun, how to cut the FSB, if I should cut the FSB or even how to remove the FSB pins however I have a lot to learn about ARs so I welcome all the great advice!

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    If you've got the funds, go with Geiselle. If you're unsure, just look at an install video and you will see that it's rock solid.

I will watch it. My biggest concern over price is quality I want a handguard that will stay put long term and it sounds like the Geiselle will.

Thanks

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville

Adco firearms or rainier will pin any gas block. As far as length, my opinion is pretty aligned with what everyone here said. 12" or longer. BCM KMR for keymod or Geissele or ALG defense for MLOK.

01coltcolt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Bossier City
    I really like the feel, weight and look of my 13" Fortis, on my Wilson combat. Its very slim and fits nicely in your hands.

Better pic before Cheracoat

Last edited:
    Top Bottom