French Quarter is not a safe zone

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    Sanctuary city too. They don't prosecute illegals whatsoever, unless you commit murder, rob a bank, or run over a bicyclist.
    It was pretty awesome for about a year or so after Katrina :)

I really hope Trump can do something about these "safe" cities. How some states allow illegals to vote and obtain drivers licenses is beyond me.

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    there were discussions on the local news about the need to change the open carry laws and concealed carry laws so the city can impose a 'safe zone' where individuals are screened for weapons before entry. i guess they do not understand that it will just move to Canal street...oh wait there are shootings on Canal street, we now need to make the city a gun free zone...

i guess they are not worried about 7th Ward, the East and Saint Roch.....

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I really don't understand the appeal of NOLA to the entire world. Is it the only place on Earth you can get drunk and see Boobs?

Really? It's an amazing city with a rich history, awesome food, and 99.99% great people. I've traveled all over and it's not like any other city I've ever been to. The fact that people would miss out on it because they're scared is laughable to me.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Really? It's an amazing city with a rich history, awesome food, and 99.99% great people. I've traveled all over and it's not like any other city I've ever been to. The fact that people would miss out on it because they're scared is laughable to me.

The problem is that when people say "New Orleans," they think of the French Quarter. The surrounding areas have better food than in the FQ.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land

I guess I've been there and done it enough times that it's just old news to me. I won't lie, you can't get a bloody mary near as good anywhere else. But, that city is not very high on my favorite city list. It's not because I'm scared. I hate traffic and large crowds. I live and work in the outskirts and BR and hardly travel into the city unless I absolutely have to. I'm just fine in the country.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I guess I've been there and done it enough times that it's just old news to me. I won't lie, you can't get a bloody mary near as good anywhere else. But, that city is not very high on my favorite city list. It's not because I'm scared. I hate traffic and large crowds. I live and work in the outskirts and BR and hardly travel into the city unless I absolutely have to. I'm just fine in the country.

+1 here. Other than an occasional concert or event I miss because I avoid NO and BR, I ain't lost **** there. To each his own.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie

+1

The amount of fear in here is really surprising. #Bayouwimps

I can understand just not liking the quarter, or new orleans in general, but "ohh I can only go between 10:00am and 1:30pm before the sun starts to fall behind the buildings again" is nuts. You can get mugged uptown or mid city just the same as downtown.

Literally hundreds of thousands of people are in and around New Orleans every day. People going to work day and night, tourists day and night, people who live there. You have to live your life. You don't go looking for trouble, but you don't carry so that you'll be safe inside your home in suburbia.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    +1

The amount of fear in here is really surprising. #Bayouwimps

I can understand just not liking the quarter, or new orleans in general, but "ohh I can only go between 10:00am and 1:30pm before the sun starts to fall behind the buildings again" is nuts. You can get mugged uptown or mid city just the same as downtown.

Literally hundreds of thousands of people are in and around New Orleans every day. People going to work day and night, tourists day and night, people who live there. You have to live your life. You don't go looking for trouble, but you don't carry so that you'll be safe inside your home in suburbia.

Yep.

Tulane is a relatively nice part of town, and crime happens around there all the time.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Meh...

There is nothing in New Orleans that I can't get on this side of the lake.

I was unaware Endymion's route passed through Mandeville ;)

There might not be anything you want on the southshore but if you think the northshore can hold a candle to NOLA on food and entertainment then I don't know what to tell you. :dunno:

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    I'm extremely happy with my life and have no complaints about missing out on anything. I'd much rather be in my boat wetting a line or 20' up a tree watching the birds and critters than go to the mall any day. If I'm not in the woods then I'm at home on the couch watching a movie or working on my honey do list.

Now, to accuse people of fear because they prefer to leave a certain area before the riff raff comes out is ridiculous. I see a lot of Mandeville and Covington on the people that are saying this, and they've apparently made a conscious choice to not live in the city, just like I have chose not to live in BR. So, apparently they have weighed the risk and chose a "safer" area. This a forum full of people who prep and plan for the worst... People will always be of different mindset when it comes to these issues, but to call everyone paranoid or fearful is just silly.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Now, to accuse people of fear because they prefer to leave a certain area before the riff raff comes out is ridiculous. I see a lot of Mandeville and Covington on the people that are saying this, and they've apparently made a conscious choice to not live in the city, just like I have chose not to live in BR. So, apparently they have weighed the risk and chose a "safer" area. This a forum full of people who prep and plan for the worst... People will always be of different mindset when it comes to these issues, but to call everyone paranoid or fearful is just silly.

fear
    noun
    a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid.
    concern or anxiety; solicitude
    anticipation of the possibility that something unpleasant will occur

verb
    to consider or anticipate (something unpleasant) with a feeling of dread or alarm

That's what it is.

We literally have people competing in here for who leaves the city the earliest in the middle of the day because it might get dark soon. Or maybe the vampires can travel in the afternoon shadows, I don't know. :mamoru:

I don't live in New Orleans because I fear crime and high property taxes. :p

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I was unaware Endymion's route passed through Mandeville ;)

There might not be anything you want on the southshore but if you think the northshore can hold a candle to NOLA on food and entertainment then I don't know what to tell you. :dunno:

I haven't been to Endymion is years, and I don't plan on going back.

The only NOLA food spot that I crave is Blue Oak BBQ (since NOLA Smokehouse is gone). Everywhere else can burn down and I wouldn't care. Just like New Orleans, the good food spots are the unknown hole in the wall joints. I wouldn't expect you to know about the good food over here.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick

This! Just don't go during Bayou Classic, everyone knows it's dark the whole weekend. Something like this happens every year.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Yep.

Tulane is a relatively nice part of town, and crime happens around there all the time.

I was impressed by the fact Tulane sent emails acknowledging crimes committed on and surrounding their campus. I received one about a particular set of crimes and it had info on the suspects and their actions. I received another when a student recently committed suicide. I preferred the heads up as opposed to the let's just not talk about it and it will go away approach.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    That's what it is.

We literally have people competing in here for who leaves the city the earliest in the middle of the day because it might get dark soon. Or maybe the vampires can travel in the afternoon shadows, I don't know. :mamoru:

I don't live in New Orleans because I fear crime and high property taxes. :p

kinda hypocritical huh?

I still don't agree that being aware of your surroundings is being fearful. Where's the thread of homeboy on here getting robbed in the whole foods parking lot in the metry/NOLA area? I bet he's a lil more aware of his surroundings. I know if I have a shady looking person approach me my senses go up. I also know that's another reason for me to not like that city even more.

Just curious do you CCW? if you do then you're one of the bayouwimps you're talking about...

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    kinda hypocritical huh?

I still don't agree that being aware of your surroundings is being fearful. Where's the thread of homeboy on here getting robbed in the whole foods parking lot in the metry/NOLA area? I bet he's a lil more aware of his surroundings. I know if I have a shady looking person approach me my senses go up. I also know that's another reason for me to not like that city even more.

Just curious do you CCW? if you do then you're one of the bayouwimps you're talking about...

So much burn in one post lol

That was Brandon504 and he got robbed in the parking lot by Target at Clearview, IIRC. Then he proceeded to derp out, draw his gun, and chase the guy.

Top Bottom