Frozen screws

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cleburne

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Thibodaux
    A friend has an old muzzleloader that I've offered to refurbish for him. It's not a shooter, just something he want dressed up to hang over his fireplace. Trouble is, two screws are solidly frozen, and I need to remove them to do a good job. The first is the tang screw, the other is a side plate screw. Both were buggered up by a previous owner. I've tried Kroil but that hasn't seemed to help. I can't get a good bite with my screwdriver because of the bad screwheads. Any suggestions?

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    I got the pics.

I would first try soaking them all in Kroil and then trying to remove.

If they still wont budge, I can use my laser to deepen the slot or turn it into a phillips head for more grip. Using Kroil, a deeper slot, and some heat, they should come out.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Without seeing them I’d try putting the gun protected in a vise & use a punch or old flat screwdriver to “pick” the screw from an angle. Next heat up an old screwdriver and let it sit in the slot to heat the screw, then pick again. Last ditch effort would be to weld a small bolt on to of screw.
    Good luck.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    An old trick us mechanics always used was to put a little valve grinding compound on the screwdriver bit and use a impact driver to remove them. The valve grinding compound is very "gritty" and increases the bite of the bit plus the impact driver/hammer makes sure the bit is seated firmly. Thats the easiest way I know of removing them.

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    How about getting a stuck allen head screw out of a gas block on my AR? I dont recall using locktite. The block has 3 screws, 2 came out the third broke both of my wrenches. Its z Larue gas block so i prefer not to destroy it.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    For reference.

Attachments

• 0210241045b.jpg
      0210241045b.jpg
      384.5 KB · Views: 55
    • 0210241045.jpg
      0210241045.jpg
      311.9 KB · Views: 54
    • 0210241047a.jpg
      0210241047a.jpg
      362.4 KB · Views: 55

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    With the hammer fastener I wouldn't hesitate to apply some gentle heat, apply kroil then tap the fastener head. Repeat until you win or feel like your wasting your time.
    Looks like the other fastener is tapered and is a wood screw? As a last resort and it is a wood screw drill it in the dead center and increase bit sizes until the head falls of. Once disassembled you should be able to grab the remaining screw with pliers

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    How about getting a stuck allen head screw out of a gas block on my AR? I dont recall using locktite. The block has 3 screws, 2 came out the third broke both of my wrenches. Its z Larue gas block so i prefer not to destroy it.
    Set screws in a gas block are easy. Vise it, heat the screw and use a torx bit you don’t care about that you can hammer in or either a tap out that fits. If all that fails, drill it out. If it’s a clamp on type. Same process. Put the torch on it, get a bite and try to back it out. If it’s a no go, drill it out. You’re not going to hurt the barrel, and if it’s the gas block you’re worried about….come on man

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    Set screws in a gas block are easy. Vise it, heat the screw and use a torx bit you don’t care about that you can hammer in or either a tap out that fits. If all that fails, drill it out. If it’s a clamp on type. Same process. Put the torch on it, get a bite and try to back it out. If it’s a no go, drill it out. You’re not going to hurt the barrel, and if it’s the gas block you’re worried about….come on man
    Dude the gas block was over $100

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    A friend has an old muzzleloader that I've offered to refurbish for him. It's not a shooter, just something he want dressed up to hang over his fireplace. Trouble is, two screws are solidly frozen, and I need to remove them to do a good job. The first is the tang screw, the other is a side plate screw. Both were buggered up by a previous owner. I've tried Kroil but that hasn't seemed to help. I can't get a good bite with my screwdriver because of the bad screwheads. Any suggestions?
    One trick ive found is to get a dremel and deepen that screw slot. Then before even trying to turn it put the screw deiver in the slot and give it a couple good wacks with a hammer. Often times it will break the screw loose and out it comes. I keep a few old screw drivers around for things such as this or can just sacrifice a driver bit. Good luck

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    Heat and valve grinding compound along with some professional grade tools would probably get it out. But I'm with Magdump on this, I never would spend that much on a gas block, it's just a block of metal. Just my .02 cents.
    Yeah i ordered the gas block when i ordered the barrel. Didnt think i would save that much ordering from bcm and paying more shipping. Beside the Larue GB fits their barrels perfectly.

Top Bottom