G19/xd9?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    personal preference

eta:

I've shot both, I like both, I own 2 XD's. Some people don't like the grip safety of the xd, others don't like the grip angle of the Glock. Some people are like me, and like them all, and still others don't like either and prefer their 1911s, revolvers or some other 100+year old technology:D.

Last edited:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Glocks Work. The Croatian guns with the $200 Name brand stamping on the slide don't meet the standard.

The Croation guns feel better.

I like them more, but I depend on what works.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    The XD9 is the best $200 Polymer gun on the market. The only problem is when it stopped being the HS2000 and became the XD9 it also stopped costing $200. Not worth the money. The Glock 19 is if nothing else a proven and successful design.

Evan632

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2010
    Jefferson
    I have a PX4 that I take with me when I work nights. I need another pistol to leave at the house for the girlfriend when I'm not there. I'm torn between these 2 and also the M&Pc. My girlfriend has small hands, but she loves the feel of my PX4.

thesamunit

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Glock worshipers are funny. Having owned both a Glock and an XDM, I can tell you that they're both fantastic guns. I've never had a FTF or FTE on either gun. The XDM, however, is dynamically more accurate for me. It points really well, and has a more ergonomic grip, not to mention it's just a better looking gun. The Glock wins as far as finding OEM and aftermarket parts, and everyone is either selling or buying a G19. If you can find a well priced XDM compact, my suggestion is to lean that way.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Glocks Work. The Croatian guns with the $200 Name brand stamping on the slide don't meet the standard.

The Croation guns feel better. I like them more, but I depend on what works.

^^^this, and this:

I've owned both. I still own an XD. Shoot both and make up your own mind.

also, the grip angles are different. to me, the XD points more naturally whereas I have to roll my wrist forward a little with the Glock. :ghey:

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    IT all depends, they aint even the same size.

Serbo-Croatian gun has its limitations as a combat pistol as long as you understand them you will be ok, for home defense and range use she is great, for a civilian warrior I would re consider, the slide is too thick IMO, and yes I do own 3 XD's so I'm no hating, she is well built, the coating they use on their slides SUCK and will rust if not taken care of, grip safety :doh:

Glock 19 is hands down the best combat pistol IMO, perfect size to conceal carry, enough grip to make it comfortable and enough fire power to get the job done, at the same time as mentioned B4 the thick grip does suck for some of us with girlie hands, the reasson why I had to go with a Gen4 to get a smaller grip eventhough you can get the other generations shaved up, and I also own Glock products so again NOT hating, would take lots of salt and moisture to make the slide rust which is a big plus.

M&P is a good mix of both, eventhough again not even the same size so cant really compare them head to head, but still an awesome pistol, not sure about the finish on it though as I havent carried mine since I have the pro version shes a little long, but I am yet to hear anybody say theirs started to rust so it must be good to go, and it has a good variety of accesories in the market now.

Last edited:

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Not a Glocker but I've owned a G19 and XD9. Hands down in function,fit and cost you can't beat the G19. Best of both worlds without the bulk and proven. If I were to go back to striker fired pistols,it would be the Glock.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    the coating they use on their slides SUCK and will rust if not taken care of
    Guate, are you talking about the early ones? I know the early ones had issues with the slide rusting easily. They supposedly fixed this problem years ago. I have a friend with a early xd40 that had a heavily rusted slide. He sent it back to SA for a refinish and has had no problems since. I have not had any issues with mine which are 2 and 3 years old.

Having a g19 and a XD9sc (along with a XD40) I prefer the trigger and grip angle of the XD over the glock. I prefer the slide profile of the glock though. I have had zero FTF/FTE with any of them (at least 2k through each). It all boils down to personal preference. Try to get your hands on each and shoot them before you buy to see which you prefer.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    YES early models had HUGE issues with rust, I cant really say anything about the later models though since all mines are early editions right after they made the switch of names. I ended up doing some KG Gunkote on mines and they G2G better than new, I love the way they shoot and def a much better factory trigger, not as clinky and mushy.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    YES early models had HUGE issues with rust, I cant really say anything about the later models though since all mines are early editions right after they made the switch of names. I ended up doing some KG Gunkote on mines and they G2G better than new, I love the way they shoot and def a much better factory trigger, not as clinky and mushy.

Some of the early M&P pistols had rust issues also.

sam4freedom

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Zachary
    You can rent both at precision. That's what I did. I now own a XDM 9 that I bought from a member here that already had some very nice upgrades.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Glock 19...

There is also one main thing that no one has addressed that could be a MAJOR issue in a defense situation.

With a Glock, you don't have to have a special grip on the weapon to chamber a round/rack the slide.

On an XD, you have to have the grip safety engaged to operate the slide.

IMO, one less moving part that you don't need to think about in a defensive situation.

Top Bottom