G19/xd9?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Strange that M&P would have finish issues.

It's a stainless slide with a black melonite finish. Should be pretty resistant to tarnishing/rusting. I'd almost wonder if any problems to the finish are because of the user. Time will tell, with mine, though. I just bought it not long ago, and have only a thousand rounds or so with it, so it's not really fleshed out yet. Plus maybe they've improved the finish since these supposed problems existed?

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    The first few M&Ps I saw including the Pre-Release sample I had all had surface rusting problems. I do believe S&W changed the coating and fixed things though.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    Glock 19...

There is also one main thing that no one has addressed that could be a MAJOR issue in a defense situation.

With a Glock, you don't have to have a special grip on the weapon to chamber a round/rack the slide.

On an XD, you have to have the grip safety engaged to operate the slide.

IMO, one less moving part that you don't need to think about in a defensive situation.

I have heard this point many times, and I can see where you are coming from. The only thing I don't understand is why the 1911 is still considered by many a perfectly acceptable defensive weapon yet this is a major design flaw and deal breaker on the XD platform.

You may not have to have a 'special grip' on the glock to chamber a round, but you have to have a 'special grip' (i.e. not natural for me at least) to point the gun. I still enjoy shooting either gun but prefer the way the XD fits my hand, though I have yet to use it with an injured hand. I hope I never get the chance to.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I have heard this point many times, and I can see where you are coming from. The only thing I don't understand is why the 1911 is still considered by many a perfectly acceptable defensive weapon yet this is a major design flaw and deal breaker on the XD platform.

You may not have to have a 'special grip' on the glock to chamber a round, but you have to have a 'special grip' (i.e. not natural for me at least) to point the gun. I still enjoy shooting either gun but prefer the way the XD fits my hand, though I have yet to use it with an injured hand. I hope I never get the chance to.

Actually its one of the reasons a great many very knowledgeable and profficent 1911 Shooters have switched to Glocks and M&Ps. The "Pointing" thing is 100% a function of training. I have never heard anyone who was trained properly in gripping and aiming a handgun complain about pointability.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    What's an "XD9"?

Emotion XD-9:
    images

Ketron XD9:
    ketron-xd9.jpg

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)

Have you ever compared both grip safeties and triggers???????? Besides they dont even work the same way the problem with the grip safety on the XD is the fact that it will LOCK your slide from operating unless its pressed, try to rack your slide without it "IT WONT WORK", the grip safety in a 1911 works in a completely diferent way.

My 5 year old could fire ANY of my 1911's, cant say the same for my XD's, not to mention you can have the grip safety pinned in place if needed in a 1911.

Last edited:

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    Actually its one of the reasons a great many very knowledgeable and profficent 1911 Shooters have switched to Glocks and M&Ps. The "Pointing" thing is 100% a function of training. I have never heard anyone who was trained properly in gripping and aiming a handgun complain about pointability.

Its all about knowing you weapon and muscle memory. Has anyone ever offered a 'grip safety delete' for the XD? I guess it could possibly be a big liability.

c10seven

just a guy
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Prairieville
    Like all have said shoot each and choose what you like. I am an Xd guy, don't like glock grip angle. But I really don't understand all the special grip talk for xd's when I grip my pistol my natural grip and if you place your hand on the grip properly the grip safety is depressed. I personally can barely feel it there once I have my normal good firm grip on my pistol.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Many speak of the grip angle on the XD vs. M&P vs. Glock. I find that if I properly use the front and rear sight on a pistol the POA is normally the same as the POI.
    I have no issues with any of the above when point shooting without sight alignment either.
    I have owned many XD/M&P/Glock pistols and the grip angle does not bother me.
    Again buy the one YOU prefer.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Muscles don't have memories. As such they sometimes don't do exactly what the brain tells them to causing things to happen like a grip safety being depressed. I have seen it happen to Larry Vickers it can happen to you. all it takes is once or twice every 10K draw strokes and it can be one too many times. I am not trying to hurt anybody's feelings. IF your happy with your choice your happy with your choice. To me it is just a tool. I think as a tool the 19 is a better choice. I have seen far to many XD's break to recommend them to anyone. Ever wonder why the XD is never considered for big government contracts? They just aren't built to the standard the competition is. Mechanically the XD is inferior to the M&P, Glocks, HK, until recently SiGs. The numbers don't lie.

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    What's an "XD9"?

Springfield Armory polymer gun.

I don't see why this should even be discussed. Both are great guns and only the user can make that choice. I'm sure there are plethora amounts of threads just like this. It's just like a vanilla vs. chocolate debate. It'll never end. END THE MADNESS!!

But having owned and shot both, I prefer the G19 for every reason. The Xd is also a great pistol. Just not as good as the Glock. OOOOoooooohhh!

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Muscles don't have memories. As such they sometimes don't do exactly what the brain tells them to causing things to happen like a grip safety being depressed. I have seen it happen to Larry Vickers it can happen to you. all it takes is once or twice every 10K draw strokes and it can be one too many times. I am not trying to hurt anybody's feelings. IF your happy with your choice your happy with your choice. To me it is just a tool. I think as a tool the 19 is a better choice. I have seen far to many XD's break to recommend them to anyone. Ever wonder why the XD is never considered for big government contracts? They just aren't built to the standard the competition is. Mechanically the XD is inferior to the M&P, Glocks, HK, until recently SiGs. The numbers don't lie.

Well said. Anyone who thinks a gun with a grip safety is a good defensive gun only shoots under perfect conditions. I shot an XDm through two classes and while it performed flawlessly, I had more than one instance that the grip safety wasn't depressed. Happened particularly when shooting from the high ready/count 2 position. Also had several occasions where I rode the slide stop and had failures to lock back, and twice where the slide release was bumped during rapid fire causing the slide to locl back prematurely.

I switched to the M&P shortly thereafter...

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville

Every time I go to say something, VG says it better and more eloquently.

So yea, what he said. :D

thesamunit

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Why not own both? This is a preferential argument, and as we all have different opinions, wenall have different answers. They're both awesome guns. If I had my druthers, I'd own one of EVERYTHING.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    mike933
    Top Bottom