Gabriel Suarez

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SimonJester308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    His DVDs are fine. Simple, straight and to the point. I have one of his for handguns, and one for the AK. But training DVDs are like watching someone else take a trip to disneyland, verses going yourself. They were a great way to introduce some concepts to the Missus for basic understanding though.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    onestory, they would be to get a good grasp on my weapon and learn excersizes that would improve my effectiveness.

I've got thirteen of Gabe's DVD's and can attest to their worth as it pertains to getting a good grasp on your weapon and improving your effectiveness. I purchased them over the last several years and would not have done so if the training conveyed wasn't worth it.

You posted in the "Rifles" section. Are you only interested in Gabe's DVD's as it applies to your particular rifle or the other DVD's as well? :confused:

Which DVD's are you interested in?

Which weapon(s) are you looking to improve your skill with?

Most importantly...What type of training are you seeking? LEO, military, high-risk operator, or regular guy who wants to be able to kick ass when the time comes?

When I suggested that you add "and why" to your OP, I meant that if it read "Are his training videos worth it and why?", you would get more meaningful responses to your question and possibly help weed out the people that will answer negatively just because they don't like Gabe. :(

I don't "like" the guy who manages some of my investments but he delivers positive results, so it doesn't matter to me how likeable or polarizing he is. :)

thatwhichisnt

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I've got thirteen of Gabe's DVD's and can attest to their worth as it pertains to getting a good grasp on your weapon and improving your effectiveness. I purchased them over the last several years and would not have done so if the training conveyed wasn't worth it.

You posted in the "Rifles" section. Are you only interested in Gabe's DVD's as it applies to your particular rifle or the other DVD's as well? :confused:

Which DVD's are you interested in?

Which weapon(s) are you looking to improve your skill with?

Most importantly...What type of training are you seeking? LEO, military, high-risk operator, or regular guy who wants to be able to kick ass when the time comes?

When I suggested that you add "and why" to your OP, I meant that if it read "Are his training videos worth it and why?", you would get more meaningful responses to your question and possibly help weed out the people that will answer negatively just because they don't like Gabe. :(

I don't "like" the guy who manages some of my investments but he delivers positive results, so it doesn't matter to me how likeable or polarizing he is. :)

I am looking for just training so I can have a leg up on defending myself and my property should/when **** hits the fan. I am mostly interested in his AK dvds as mine is being built as we speak.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Its a bit more involved than a personality/popularity thing. The man has issues; issues that could matter to YOU one day if you claim to have trained with him/followed his "teachings", etc.

Just about every highly-respected trainer in the industry has dis-associated themselves from Suarez. And its not because they "don't like him".

This, but in addition IMHO They are not worth the money.

I've got Sony (SP?)'s on the AK currently. It was over $30 and if I learn one thing from a $400 class it is worthit to me.

The DVD (For instance) was not.

Bam's got it currently.

Let me know if you want to borrow it for free so you can make yoru own judgement call.
    (Not Gabe's... but one of his instructors should be close enough... I've got a few Tactical Response DVD's floating around somewhere also...)

T-maggot

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Mandeville
    I've been following this thread for basically the same reason. I have an AK that I purchased from a member here that I hadn't even shot yet and I would also like to become involved in competition pistol shooting.
    The problem is that I spend every spare dollar on my children (they deserve it more than I) and an engagement ring I am saving for.
    To prepare for comp. I dry fire for about an hour a day (using snap caps), practice magazine changes, etc.... The basics that I can due on said budget.

(Bossman's calling, have to get back to work....)

Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    Best bet would be to get with #1BamBam and some of his boys when they go do their meet's . You'll get more out of a couple hours shooting with some good guys then day's of video watching .

T-maggot

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Mandeville
    Time and location are also issues. I am proficient with my Kimber, never fired my AK, and skipping lunch here and there will get me into a shotgun pretty soon (undecided between the 870 or 500.) Of course I am assuming pistol, rifle, and shot gun form the three gun.
    I guess what I (and Nick) am wondering is, would watching a "training" dvd be worth the cost, just to see or get a basic understanding of the different techniques presented for said weapon, by "fill in the blank" instructor?
    I'm thinking that it wouldn't hurt, just as long as it is backed up with hanging out with a bunch of you guys at a match, learning this and that, here and there. Until finances begin to balance out and I can afford to join in on the fun of course.
    Just trying to figure out an economical way to build upon what I already know. Financially and logistically, I can not seek training at Gunsite, Valhalla, etc...

Are most of the comp. shoots located in the Baton Rouge area?

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    It costs very little to go to a three gun match. If ALL you are looking to do is learn, even if you don't have all three guns -

1. Go to a match. You will usually only have to pay $5 as a first time shooter.

2. Tell them you are a newbie. Ask for help.

3. Watch what they are doing. GO LAST AND GO SLOW.

4. Politely say to those that seem helpful, "If you have any suggestions..."

You will improve under a watchful set of eyes. It isn't as good as a training class but it is better than DVDs.

I'm not against DVD's - they have there place. You can learn some stuff off of youtube. It may be bad stuff, or good stuff, but it is there.

The class that Paul Gomez put on illustrated one thing more than any other. If you see a piece of this and a piece of that you haven't seen a cohesive demonstration of a set of skills. When you see several pieces put together you understand why it is important to do this or not do that. Another thing we did in the class was to shoot a paper target that was in your face. Nose to paper. If you have never done that it is not that comfortable. You are not seeing your gun and it is next to your ribcage. One handed. It was an eye opener.

I have to say I am of the belief that if you intend to carry a pistol you owe it to yourself (at the very minmium) to go shoot a match. If nothing else it will make you very aware that there are some shooters out there that will surprise you. I won't discount a person with a rifle just because the guy is 80 or the girl is 13. Those are real world examples.

As #1BamBam has told me one benefit of shooting matches is it will teach you not to shoot yourself. One observation I had was it is weird to shoot on someone elses timeframe. The trade off between speed and accuracy starts showing itself as well. Even a bowling pin match has some benefit to the shooter.

Last edited:

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Even a bowling pin match has some benefit to the shooter.

Boy! This is very true. A bowling pin match showed me that it's entirely different to shoot quickly at targets vs shooting against a competitor. The adrenaline rush is something you can't prepare for without experiencing it, and it WILL affect your accuracy and technique.

Speaking of which, when are we going to have another one? Last one I attended was before my daughter was born, and I had a ball.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Boy! This is very true. A bowling pin match showed me that it's entirely different to shoot quickly at targets vs shooting against a competitor. The adrenaline rush is something you can't prepare for without experiencing it, and it WILL affect your accuracy and technique.

Speaking of which, when are we going to have another one? Last one I attended was before my daughter was born, and I had a ball.

Reg,
    Sorry, now that you have kids you are not allowed to have fun. Just don't eat at BK before a match.

I think location is more of an issue than anything. Being behind on the pins screws with you. Even more so when you realize why am I looking at that guy's shooting, I should be shooting my pins. It is about as a stressfull a reload as you can get, under safe conditions and the pressure is all self induced.
    Pin matches are a lot of fun. It is probably the most 'joyous' of all the events I've tried.

Last edited:

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I am looking for just training so I can have a leg up on defending myself and my property should/when **** hits the fan. I am mostly interested in his AK dvds as mine is being built as we speak.

I'll say that his AK DVD's are worth the money.

If you buy them at full price, sell them after for half of what you paid and make it even more worth it. You'll probably want to hold on to them as others have - which is why they aren't readily available pre-owned.

Training DVD's are only a part of the training "puzzle".

I'd advise you to buy/borrow any and all training DVD's you can. You can have your local library do a search of every other library in the US to see if they have them and have them sent to your local library...sometimes they will ship them there for free.

Yes, watching and/or training with a DVD doesn't take the place of all the other parts of the puzzle. Don't neglect the other parts but don't discount the value of the top notch training DVD's we have available to us today.

If you are planning on taking a class, purchasing the corresponding DVD ahead of time and practicing with it will help you prepare for the class. If you do it that way, you should not be repeating a technique enough to form a bad habit. After the class, the DVD will serve as a refresher to keep you on the right track.

We could go on and on about all the pieces of the training puzzle but you specifically asked whether Gabe's AK DVD's were worth the time and money for a person who wants to train to defend themself and their property...the answer is "YES".

It is too late now, but the DVD purchase would have been worth even more had you watched it before ordering your AK. Live and learn...

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Its a bit more involved than a personality/popularity thing. The man has issues; issues that could matter to YOU one day if you claim to have trained with him/followed his "teachings", etc.

Just about every highly-respected trainer in the industry has dis-associated themselves from Suarez. And its not because they "don't like him".

LSP, without using the 80 grit, briefly tell us what issues might matter to me now that I've trained with him and follow some of his teachings?

Top Bottom