Glock Wins New FBI Contract.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    As I understand, FBI went to 9mm some time ago. Apparently the recoil from .40 was such they determined that it reduced accuracy, and with the more powerful 9mm rounds available now that was the better option for most agents. I guess this is just Glock getting the contract instead of whoever was providing the arms, maybe S&W? Not sure about that, though.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Why do you say that?

I say that because I have never had any issues with the 9mm barrel in a .40 slide(this includes Lone Wolf.) The FBI could have contracted with Lone Wolf.
    If they want new guns, then they should have gone with HK like other Federal agencies have. Glocks are excellent, but HK is better.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I would not expect any LEA to carry a .40 Glock after changing only the barrel and magazines to 9mm. Reliability, Liability/Legal Issues would be a good start.

I know a few NOPD who practice with 9mm barrels in their issue G22 slides with no issues. The G22 is tough and reliable. Just don't call it refined!

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I say that because I have never had any issues with the 9mm barrel in a .40 slide(this includes Lone Wolf.) The FBI could have contracted with Lone Wolf.
    If they want new guns, then they should have gone with HK like other Federal agencies have. Glocks are excellent, but HK is better.

I would not want to see any agency have to carry a gun with aftermarket parts.

How has HK proved to be better?

Last edited:

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I would love it if they did away with the grooves. They don't bother me on a 17/34, but on the 19 they are just not in the right place. Simple fix... do away with them all.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I know a few NOPD who practice with 9mm barrels in their issue G22 slides with no issues. The G22 is tough and reliable. Just don't call it refined!

I have taught more than a few LEO's how to shoot pistols and very few know much about guns. You must have had a dream because I never used the word refined.
    The LEA's that use HK pistols is a drop in the bucket compared to the LEA's that use Glock pistols. I own Glocks and HK striker fired pistols and both are tough and reliable.
    The exchange cost for new Glocks for a LEA is less than most aftermarket barrels. Been there, Done that.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    In the past, Glock has done buybacks or free exchanges for service guns, even if the exchange is for another make. That is possibly what they are doing for the FBI, a credit for the guns they have toward the replacement 9mm Glocks. Glock will then put the exchanged guns back into the used market where they will make more for the guns than they gave credit for. That's what they have done in the past, so not surprised if they are doing it with the change to 9mm here for the FBI.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    An example: Glock sells the new pistols for approximately $350 each and the distributor allows approximately $250 each on the trades meaning the buyer pays approximately $100 each for the new pistols after trade in allowance and is exempt from paying taxes. The distributor sells the used pistols for approximately $375 each with 1 magazine and keeps the 2 spare magazines for retail sale.
    There are 2 Glock Distributors in Louisiana. Barneys will take trades and Baton Rouge Police Supply will not take trades.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I have taught more than a few LEO's how to shoot pistols and very few know much about guns. You must have had a dream because I never used the word refined.
    The LEA's that use HK pistols is a drop in the bucket compared to the LEA's that use Glock pistols. I own Glocks and HK striker fired pistols and both are tough and reliable.
    The exchange cost for new Glocks for a LEA is less than most aftermarket barrels. Been there, Done that.

I only made the "refined" comment because an old Marine buddy said that about the factory Glock trigger.:rofl:
    The likely favorable exchange price is a valid point. Kenner PD was able to exchange M&P pistols for new ones for $35 each instead replacing springs for $30 each.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I would not want to see any agency have to carry a gun with aftermarket parts.

How has HK proved to be better?

HK pistols will shoot longer before any replacement parts are needed. HK spends more time on new designs in order to get it right. Overall, the HK is better engineered than any other service pistols out there. The problem is that they are more expensive.
    Yes, Glock gets into a lot of LE holsters by being the lowest bidder. They are still very good guns for protection.

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    HK pistols will shoot longer before any replacement parts are needed. HK spends more time on new designs in order to get it right. Overall, the HK is better engineered than any other service pistols out there. The problem is that they are more expensive.
    Yes, Glock gets into a lot of LE holsters by being the lowest bidder. They are still very good guns for protection.
    Oh boy, here we go!

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

So let me understand this: HK is better because they have to keep working on new designs to get it right? And Glock is not as good because they got it right the 1st time and cost less?

Oh yes the round count before needing replacement parts: I think we would need to look at the cost, availability and amount of labor to replace the parts on each gun before we can call that a advantage or not.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    HK is a great pistol but can it shoot under water, never rust, never jam, and get through metal detectors without being detected? Let's stick to the facts. Glock is just a better pistol.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Well if it's on YouTube and the Internet then it must be true. All you non-believers baffle me. Of course I'm joking. I actually owned a HK. 45 compact. Beautiful gun, shot as I would expect it to bug the grip angle wasn't for me. Wish I still had it in the safe but it was traded for one of those ugly black plastic pistols that fit my natural aim better. Plus some cash too. ;)

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Well if it's on YouTube and the Internet then it must be true. All you non-believers baffle me. Of course I'm joking. I actually owned a HK. 45 compact. Beautiful gun, shot as I would expect it to bug the grip angle wasn't for me. Wish I still had it in the safe but it was traded for one of those ugly black plastic pistols that fit my natural aim better. Plus some cash too. ;)

Just wait HK will redesign that grip angle soon and get it right.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Just wait HK will redesign that grip angle soon and get it right.

That will get really expensive for me!! If I were a tier one operator like most around here I would already be in the club but I'm good with the old Glock ugly duckling. It's abilities are far beyond what I'm capable of at this point in my life.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom