GMRS radio's, anyone else ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rm2092

Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Harvey, La
    So after the AT&T outage I picked up a GMRS radio last weekend after talking to a buddy that has one so I was just curious if anyone else here has them and to learn more about them and repeaters.

Thanks.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    So after the AT&T outage I picked up a GMRS radio last weekend after talking to a buddy that has one so I was just curious if anyone else here has them and to learn more about them and repeaters.

Thanks.
    Did you pick up a license to use the GMRS radio? My understanding is that it's legally required to have a license to transmit on GMRS and HAM.

I've toyed with getting a HAM License at some point, but also I have a Garmin InReach Satelite communicator which should work as long as satellites are up...and it works anywhere in the world, unlike HAM which has minimal distances.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I did get the liscence, cost was $35.00 and had it with in 24 hours.
    Solid!

My understanding of GMRS is that it's essentially an ever so slightly more high powered walkie talkie, but still has strong limitations of (more or less) line of sight.

I looked at repeaters, but I don't have any near me that would be accessible by GMRS. HAM, maybe, GMRS, not at all.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'm in Elmwwod and so far have talked to a few in Tampa and also Texas pretty clear .
    Wow!

So, how does the repeater work exactly? Is it connected to the internet where it outputs in Tampa? Or does it just daisy-chain to different repeaters where output is on the same frequency?

Not an area I know much still.

mylongscreenname

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2020
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Have GMRS. Have License. Been learning ins and outs for a bit. No expert but have a couple Tidradio H8. They can run at 5 or 10watts so you can have GMRS license and still listen to HAM frequency. Learning curve to program and such. Research Roadkill Network for repeaters. There are local repeaters the are great for specific areas like Metro Baton Rouge as well. I have talked to someone in Michigan via Roadkill repeater network. I am still learning and plan to expand number of radios to my out of state family members. Everyone has to understand how they work to have the ability to communicate if we really lose cell phones for extended period of time. I like the idea of basic communication options when hurricane causes outages. It is not a perfect replacement but I like having expanded options.

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    Solid!

My understanding of GMRS is that it's essentially an ever so slightly more high powered walkie talkie, but still has strong limitations of (more or less) line of sight.

I looked at repeaters, but I don't have any near me that would be accessible by GMRS. HAM, maybe, GMRS, not at all.
    Where are you located Austin? I’m in Lake Charles and we have 4 repeaters setup that work in the Lake Charles, Moss Bluff, Westlake, and Sulphur area. We did have the repeaters linked to the Roadkill Network and it was pretty cool. I have my GMRS and HAM licenses and I can help if you have any questions.

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    Wow!

So, how does the repeater work exactly? Is it connected to the internet where it outputs in Tampa? Or does it just daisy-chain to different repeaters where output is on the same frequency?

Not an area I know much still.
    So basically if someone has a repeater they can hook it up to the internet and it can transmit to any other repeaters on that frequency. Then it transmits from that node out to whoever is on that channel in the area close to the repeater. So if someone in your area is connected to the Roadkill Network in your area it will transmit all over. It’s pretty neat. Do you have GMRS radios?

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    Have GMRS. Have License. Been learning ins and outs for a bit. No expert but have a couple Tidradio H8. They can run at 5 or 10watts so you can have GMRS license and still listen to HAM frequency. Learning curve to program and such. Research Roadkill Network for repeaters. There are local repeaters the are great for specific areas like Metro Baton Rouge as well. I have talked to someone in Michigan via Roadkill repeater network. I am still learning and plan to expand number of radios to my out of state family members. Everyone has to understand how they work to have the ability to communicate if we really lose cell phones for extended period of time. I like the idea of basic communication options when hurricane causes outages. It is not a perfect replacement but I like having expanded options.
    That’s awesome. You ever roll through Lake Charles? We have 4 repeaters in the Lake Charles, Sulphur, Westlake, and Moss Bluff area. We were connected to the Roadkill Network for a while. We might hook back up to it. I can give you some HAM and GMRS repeater frequencies that cover Louisiana. I have 2 Baofeng UV-5Rs, 1 Baofeng BF-H6, a BTech GMRS mobile 50 watt, and an Anytone 778 mobile 25 watt radio. I have 2 antennas on my vehicle and coverage is amazing with the 50 and 25 watt radios. Are you planning to get your Technician license?

Top Bottom