GMRS radio's, anyone else ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    The cable and a computer running CHIRP makes it so much easier. Once you get the radio set up, you can save the settings and share them. If you know someone who has settings you want, you can easily import it into your settings.
    Got it setup using the Radiocity software. Unfortunately, this radio doesn't support CHIRP :/

BigJohn65

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2022
    Beloit, WI
    Solid!

My understanding of GMRS is that it's essentially an ever so slightly more high powered walkie talkie, but still has strong limitations of (more or less) line of sight.

I looked at repeaters, but I don't have any near me that would be accessible by GMRS. HAM, maybe, GMRS, not at

Solid!

My understanding of GMRS is that it's essentially an ever so slightly more high powered walkie talkie, but still has strong limitations of (more or less) line of sight.

I looked at repeaters, but I don't have any near me that would be accessible by GMRS. HAM, maybe, GMRS, not at all.
    I can hit a repeater 27mi from my house.

toddinbr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 30, 2020
    Maurepas
    I bought several programing cords and never could get them to work. I found the tidradio bluetooth programmer($20) that works great and you program your radios with an app on your phone. I have several Uv5rs all programed.
    Not sure what radios you got but it works on many different makes and models.

Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I have a pair of the UV15Pro that I set up and messed with last year. The goal was to be able to simplex over to P.Allen from BR. I could hit the repeater in BR but my buddy couldn’t.

Last week, I ordered a mobile transceiver and plan to make a geaux-box for comms. It’s a work in progress and I’m learning as I go.

If I can go to my buddies house and hit the repeater, we’ll build one for him and see if we can get to Road Kill and talk to another friend in Conroe.

Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I have a pair of the UV15Pro that I set up and messed with last year. The goal was to be able to simplex over to P.Allen from BR. I could hit the repeater in BR but my buddy couldn’t.

Last week, I ordered a mobile transceiver and plan to make a geaux-box for comms. It’s a work in progress and I’m learning as I go.

If I can go to my buddies house and hit the repeater, we’ll build one for him and see if we can get to Road Kill and talk to another friend in Conroe.
    Oh, didn’t say it but we could not talk on simplex with the whips on the HT. Plan to upgrade the antennas on both ends and try again this summer.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

What all is going to be on your "geaux box"?

Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Wouxun KGXS20G, DC power supply, 18Ah LiPO4 battery, Midland MXTA25 antenna, a multitude of connectors (I’m envisioning a pigtail connector for various power supplies-onboard battery, car battery, Power supply, DC cig lighter),
    In-line Power monitor.

Going to try and get it in an Apache 3800 box. I don’t plan to have any ports in the box. When I want to use it, I’ll open it and set up.

As I mentioned this is a work in progress. I plan to give the radio, DC power supply and antenna a test next week but it’ll prob be June before I get the first rev of the box built. Goal is to be ready for the fifth season (aka hurricane).

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    Wouxun KGXS20G, DC power supply, 18Ah LiPO4 battery, Midland MXTA25 antenna, a multitude of connectors (I’m envisioning a pigtail connector for various power supplies-onboard battery, car battery, Power supply, DC cig lighter),
    In-line Power monitor.

Going to try and get it in an Apache 3800 box. I don’t plan to have any ports in the box. When I want to use it, I’ll open it and set up.

As I mentioned this is a work in progress. I plan to give the radio, DC power supply and antenna a test next week but it’ll prob be June before I get the first rev of the box built. Goal is to be ready for the fifth season (aka hurricane).
    Please post pics when you are done!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    In-line Power monitor.

How's it coming?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom