good home defense shotgun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rustyduck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    near morgan city
    please no remington. i have 2 remington express shotguns and no matter what i do, clean clean clean, try different ammo, scrub the chamber, ect they both aren't smooth action and malfunction way too much. im not even gonna discuss this any further. i will not consider anything from remington.

so whats a good reliable shotgun with lots of rounds for home defense?

Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    I have a Mossberg Mariner like this..

50278.jpg

I like it alot and its stainless steel...

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Mossberg 500. Survived the 3 day Louis Awerbuck class without even a hiccup when the 870s were choking on the cheap shot. Bought it at a pawn shop for $150.

rustyduck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    near morgan city
    http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa...shotguns&start=12&selectedSKU=0350-01883-0231

i like that one but i'll spend more if its not a reliable model.

a carbine? i guess something in 9mm with 30+ rounds would be nice since i always have a couple thousand rounds on hand. whats a reliable 9mm carbine?

now you got me thinking, my glock 19 with its 31 round mag with a shoulder stock would be sweet. do they even make stocks like that? i also have a beretta 92f.

i have several ak47s but i think they are too powerful around the house. don't want to kill the neighbors cause of some looter.

rustyduck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    near morgan city
    "How much you want for those junky 870s?"

what i was thinking about doing is burying them in pvc pipe just to test how a gun would hold up in there, with moisture absorbers and glued on caps.

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa...shotguns&start=12&selectedSKU=0350-01883-0231

It is weird that you posted that link. I bought that exact model for my wife & HD about a month ago. Put about 50 2-3/4" rounds through it straight w/o a problem. The only thing that I have had problems with is finding a front guard that is compatible for it. Everything is interchangable w/ the Mossberg 500 parts. I have some pics on here of it. I think that they are having a sale price for that model for 156 bucks @ the Academy in Lafayette if I remember correctly..stopped in this Sunday, not sure how long the sale last for though. (Edit: 08/30/08 - Just found it & added link) You might wanna check it out. If you don't like the barrel length, a tube cutter will work wonders to shorten it. Or you could always sell it to someone interested *cough cough* in getting a longer barrel for hunting if that someone would want that option. ;)

I pull the trigger and it goes bang, I rack it and repeat. It handles 3" Mags like a pro also.

I would buy it again..esp at 30 bucks cheaper than what I originally paid. That is a case of shells to run through her!!!

Last edited:

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    My twins

twins_640.jpg

I already had a Mossy 500 for HD (top) but She Who Must Be Obeyed fell in love with it, and claimed it as her OD (Office Defense) gun. (Gotta love that girl!) This meant I had to have a new one for the house, of course! The bottom gun is what fulfilled that need.

Here is the web page I created showing what I bought and how I put it together, as well as pricing and sources.

We've been very happy with both.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge

a carbine? i guess something in 9mm with 30+ rounds would be nice since i always have a couple thousand rounds on hand. whats a reliable 9mm carbine?

now you got me thinking, my glock 19 with its 31 round mag with a shoulder stock would be sweet. do they even make stocks like that? i also have a beretta 92f.

i have several ak47s but i think they are too powerful around the house. don't want to kill the neighbors cause of some looter.

I know you are just kidding around, but adding a shoulder stock would make it a very illegal short barrel rifle.

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    please no remington. i have 2 remington express shotguns and no matter what i do, clean clean clean, try different ammo, scrub the chamber, ect they both aren't smooth action and malfunction way too much. im not even gonna discuss this any further. i will not consider anything from remington.

so whats a good reliable shotgun with lots of rounds for home defense?

aww man.. really... i was planning on getting a remington 870 XCS Marine Magnum... you're telling me its no good?

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_870/model_870_xCS_marine_magnum.asp

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    Sweet! Thanks! This was the first time I've ever heard anything bad about the 870s. I just wanted to make sure I was getting a good shotgun being that I don't know much about them.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom